It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO "Hunting" - What do I need?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 05:03 AM
link   

You're going to hate hearing this, but avoid using a digital camera.

Obviously.... thats good advice indeed... especially the stereo camera thats a nice touch.....

Interesting that this guy went to so much trouble to ensure his images were beyond all shaddow of a doubt genuine and still they accused him of fraud.

That got me thinking that if you going to have 4 cameras in a rig... you could expand on that idea perhaps to further illiminate fraud....
IE have two cameras set up in stereo and the other 2 could be seperate stereo set set at a much wider angle IE one set zoomed right in and the other set alot further out..... that way they can not say your hanging it from a string.....
And you would have to have all the cameras sincronized in a rig......

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Hey Alien42, there's a UFO Investigator book available. It's forwarded by Stanton Friedman and is filled with information on what you need.

It's called: The UFO Investigator's Handbook

The Practical Guide to Researching, Identifying and Documenting Unexplained Sightings.
by Craig Glenday

Video and Camera equipment suggestions are included

Dallas

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by morphonius821
That got me thinking that if you going to have 4 cameras in a rig... you could expand on that idea perhaps to further illiminate fraud....
IE have two cameras set up in stereo and the other 2 could be seperate stereo set set at a much wider angle IE one set zoomed right in and the other set alot further out..... that way they can not say your hanging it from a string.....
And you would have to have all the cameras sincronized in a rig......

If you get objects in the fore and background, then they can accurately judge the size i believe. Just make sure the foreground object isn't a building just above you, otherwise they will say your friend is hanging it out a window.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Hey Alien42,

I've attached a link to a little different spin on your subject. It's an experience I had with a real life "hunter". I hope you enjoy it.

Becker

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Interesting that this guy went to so much trouble to ensure his images were beyond all shaddow of a doubt genuine and still they accused him of fraud.

If you're talking about Ed Walters, I tend to agree that his case was doomed by opinion and not hard evidence. To this day, the majority of UFO "experts" discard the Ed Walters case as a hoax, simply because the photos "looked hokey"... NOTE: The Ed Walters photos were never proven to be fake. They were subjected to rigorous testing (even by Kodak Corporation, I believe), and no film tampering could be discerned. The consensus today is that Walters built paper models of UFOs and dangled them in front of the camera — but, again, no proof. There have been accusations and heated attacks made in the Ed Walters case, but the actual evidence doesn't support the hoax theories.

On top of all this, there were and are other witnesses to the various Gulf Breeze UFOs, and other photos, but Ed Walters was the one who received the full rebuke of both the skeptics and UFO community. Go figure.

That got me thinking that if you going to have 4 cameras in a rig... you could expand on that idea perhaps to further illiminate fraud.... IE have two cameras set up in stereo and the other 2 could be seperate stereo set set at a much wider angle IE one set zoomed right in and the other set alot further out..... that way they can not say your hanging it from a string..... And you would have to have all the cameras sincronized in a rig......

Ed Walters received assistance from MUFON and others in creating some fairly foolproof photographic set-ups. The wax-sealed Nimslo 4-Lens camera was one attempt — which produced more "inexplicable" UFO pictures. There was also an attempt made with a more elaborate stereo camera set-up, as I've illustrated below:

This overhead illustration shows the stereo rack that was attached to a tripod or some other stable mount. The cameras were separated by a good 3 feet, I believe, and were fired simultaneously with a dual remote shutter release. In the middle of the rack and extending forward was a metered reference rod, which would appear on the right side of an exposure from Camera 1, and on the left side of an exposure from Camera 2. This triangulation allowed you to calculate the distance to any object appearing in the stereo field of view.

Using this rig, Ed Walters took more UFO pictures— stereo pictures with a metered rod in the middle, which seemed to indicate that the UFO was about a mile-and-a-half away (I'm doing this from memory in the interest of expediting the story, so don't quote me on the numbers).

Was all of this good enough for the skeptics? Nope. Almost immediately, Walters was accused of hanging UFO models from the trees.

I guess the point of the story is that you can jump through flaming hoops backwards, photographically, and the skeptics are still going to condemn you. The best that any of us can do is take the best shots we can, document the conditions, materials and methods used, and keep your records straight for future reference. One day, if not today, the data will prove itself.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 3/24/2007 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
machine guns with armour percing rounds, acouple hundred tanks with armour percing rounds and some smart bombs and missles

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Thanks for all the great advice you guys.

Originally posted by mr man
machine guns with armour percing rounds, acouple hundred tanks with armour percing rounds and some smart bombs and missles

Thats not exactly what I meant.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
All of the most precise and expensive equipment in the world will be for naught if you leave your common sense, rational thought and levelheadedness at home. Nerves of steel would be helpful as well. Might want to check any "beliefs" that could overtly influence any encounters at the door as you go out as well. Ufology isnt a religion and shouldnt be treated as one....

This stuff isnt going to be solved because someone believes in it, it will be solved because someone actually has evidence enough to prove it is happening, that it is a reality - not a figment of our imaginations.

Oh! And if you wear glasses bring them too....

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alien42
Hi, I was wondering, what is the best equipment to bring
sky-watching if you are looking for UFOs.

Is it worth it to buy a camera capable of recording infrared
or ultraviolet light?

Sorry if these are stupid questions or if they have been
answered before.

Thanks,
Alien42

If you want to test your equipment, and fine tune it (be VERY careful, though, of simulated responses):

www.hobbytron.com...

You could test the response of your equipment on this toy, at various altitudes. Be a heck of a lot of fun, too.

***I'm not affiliated with this company, anyways, or in forms.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by bothered

Some tutorial videos about UFO hunting equipment in daylight and at night time:

Daylight observations setup Part #1

Observation Setup part #2

Observation setup#2 in action:

Night Vision setup with zoom lens:

top topics

<< 1   >>

join