It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protein shakes....before or after workout?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Should I have a protein shake before or after a workout? I've also heard of different types of protein like creatine, whey and other types. Not sure what they're called. What would you recommend for burning fat and building muscle?

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
Should I have a protein shake before or after a workout? I've also heard of different types of protein like creatine, whey and other types. Not sure what they're called. What would you recommend for burning fat and building muscle?

It depends on the type of diet and the type of workout, possibly. Are you talking weights or endurance?

I'd suggest experimenting. Drink the protein drink before the workout and note your mood, times, energy and how good the workout is. Start by drinking it about an hour pre-workout. There is some new research that shows consuming nutrition pre and during a workout is beneficial and actually quite helpful.

Post workout, most people drink an 'energy replacement drink', which is a 4:1 ratio of carbohydrates and protein. (IOW, 4 of carbs, 1 of protein).

Endurox makes this kind of drink for cyclists, but you can actually get the same thing by putting a tablespoon of Ovaltine into low-fat milk! Lots of riders now drink chocolate milk post ride.

I drink my protein drink post-workout, mainly because I've run out of Endurox, LOL, and I'm trying to cut down on dairy right now, because I'm doing a low-carb type of diet.

My protein drink is half Whey and half Casein protein. Whey is supposedly absorbed more quicky. I don't notice any difference in recovery between this and the 4:1 carb replacement drink.

If you like I'll try and find the study and post it here.

The point is people are different, so by experimenting a little and tracking your results, you can get the best regime. The key is that the 'window' period for this is about 30-60 minutes. So if you drink it post, don't go past that time. It's probably a good idea if you're dieting to not have a fatty meal for about 4 hours post. Otherwise the carb stuff tends to go to your fat stores.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

[edit on 8-3-2007 by Badge01]

new topics

join