It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child Sex Offenders Could Face Death Penalty

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
SoT, I was just pointing out that Texas has a higher execution rate than any other state, and that they are less likely to pardon people on death row.

I don't see what you're arguing with. Facts are facts.

I am arguing because I don't appreciate the comment that you made about my state. Something you need to know about Texans is that we are basically nationalistic in our "state" pride. We view ourselves better than most and when someone criticizes our state, we want to know why. It's really that simple.

[edit on 8-3-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I'm simply questioning the wisdom in applying a new crime that is punishable by death in a state that is already unlikely to grant appeals to offenders. Especially when the victim of the crime is not dead. I'm sure you're fine with this extremely high murder rate, but I don't like it.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
You want my honest opinion about the death penalty? I don't think that it deters anything. However, something has got to be done with murderers and such. People who molest kids, to me, they are the bottom of the barrel. Murder can be justified, molestation cannot. Child molesters and rapists are the scum of the earth in my honest opinion. There is nothing one can say to justify it.

My question is: What do anti-death penalty people suggest we do with all of these people? Just continue to allow them to fill our prisons,and we as taxpayers continue to pay for them to live? Let them back out into society? What? Please, tell me what you would do with murderers, child molesters and such.

[edit on 8-3-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I disagree with the death penalty because of its finality, and because there have been too many instances where the system was plain wrong, and innocent people have been put to death. If it can't be perfect, then it can't be done.

But, I can understand the reasoning behind it in terms of protecting society. If there is someone who is truly a danger to society, and is likely to kill if released, and there is nothing that can be done about it, save for a lobotomy, or life (full life) imprisonment, then death will prevent them from killing again.

In the case of child molesters, yes they are evil, and a bane to society, but we can remove their 'weapon' using castration. This will prevent them from being a further danger to society. As I said before, all I've heard from everyone in this thread except for a few was that it's the government's job to exact revenge. It is not. Its job is to protect it's citizens from harm, and pay attention to their well being. Everyone's well being.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
For anyone who is interested, lombozo and I are planning a H2H Debate on this very subject in the very near future. It is an opportunity for he and I to tackle this issue in a structured manner. I hope some member's give it a read, and maybe even participate in one of their own.

H2H Debate Forum

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

In the case of child molesters, yes they are evil, and a bane to society, but we can remove their 'weapon' using castration. This will prevent them from being a further danger to society. As I said before, all I've heard from everyone in this thread except for a few was that it's the government's job to exact revenge. It is not. Its job is to protect it's citizens from harm, and pay attention to their well being. Everyone's well being.

Raso, you do realize that castration does not rid the person of the urges don't you? They would likely just find some other instrument to do what they do. You see, their disease, yes, I will call it a disease goes deeper than just the physical pleasure they get from committing these acts.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Castration greatly reduces the chance of repeat offenders.

www.washingtonpost.com...

www.212.net...

Proponents of castration argue that it is justified and appropriate, that by controlling sex offenders' irresistable urges to rape or molest again, castration allows them to be released without endangering the public. Of more than 700 Danish sex offenders castrated following multiple convictions, relapse rates dropped from between 17% and 50% to just 2%. A Norwegian study showed the same for selected male and female sex offenders (the women had their ovaries removed). In smaller studies in Scandinavia and Italy, chemical castration was equally effective in some groups of volunteer prisoners, with the most dramatic reductions among pedophiles.

These studies suggest the common argument-that rape is all about power, not sex, and therefore castration won't work-is wrong. A German study found that up to half of castrated men still could have erections and sex, but their desire was weakened or even extinguished. Johns Hopkins University psychiatrist and expert on treating sex offenders, Fred Berlin, points out that castration works "mainly in those who are sexually aroused by their crime...sadists and pedophiles."

Opponents of castration for repeat sex offenders cite the side effects of the drugs used in chemical castration as one reason castration should be avoided. Depo-Provera, the most widely used drug in the United States for castration, has very few side effects in the women it is prescribed to as a method of birth control. In men, not surprisingly, given that it is a female sex hormone, it has more. Some are trivial, but others can be dangerous for some men. It is inadvisable for men with high blood pressure to receive a weekly injection of the drug. Other side effects include serious allergic reactions and the formation of blood clots that can kill patients.

A drop of 96% is a huge decrease. Enough to negate the institution of death by the state for any reason other than revenge.

Castration removes the testes of an individual, and hugely decreases the sexual drive. Maybe the innate attraction would still be there, but there would be no real physical urge to act on it because of the lack of testosterone in the system.

And besides, if it doesn't work, one of the side effects is death anyway, so you win both ways.

[edit on 8-3-2007 by Rasobasi420]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join