It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Media - Corporate Whores or Information Gatekeepers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Well, for the past six years I've come to abhor the media. More and more the "news" appears to be more interested in advertising revenue than in information. The news isn't supposed to sensationalize a snow storm, it's supposed to report the news to the viewers.

Just look at the coverage of Britany Spears and Anna Nicole Smith
www.foxnews.com...

www.cnn.com...

And that's just the iceburg tip, if you google these two chuckleheads you'll see what I mean.

Combine this sensationalistic yet meaningless reporting with graphics, scoring, and overall production values that rival Industrial Light and Magic, and it becomes painfully clear that the "news" is just another TV show.

And not only that, but the news will protect it's own corporate ties at the cost of sacrificing potentially useful news.
Monsanto Shinanigans involving growth hormones in dairy cows
Appeals Court rules that the news can lie
That's right, news agencies don't have to provide accurate news because they are simply producing entertainment. Seinfeld and Battle Star Galactica are fictional, so the news can be too. Isn't that fantastic?
It not only appears that the news is just another TV show, it, in fact, IS just another TV show, so says the Florida court of appeals.

So say we all.

This is basically understandable, unless you're an idealist. Money does indeed make the world go round.

However, sometimes it seems that there is an even greater motivator than money, and that seems to bother me.

I know what you're saying. "So the fact that the news is a commodity to be bought and sold doesn't really bother you, but the fact that there might be an unknown motivator does?"

Well...

yeah.

Call me a cynic, but that's just how I am. You see, there are a number of stories that would dominate the ratings if given a chance, but they just seem to be brushed aside with no or little mention.

Here's a link to this very site about Gary Mckinnon, the British hacker that supposedly found UFO evidence within top secret US databases.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
There's plenty of relevant links in there to keep the curious satisfied, but where the hell was the media coverage of this guy? This could've been blown WAY out of proportion by the media and kept ratings high for a good clip of time, regardless of the reality of UFOs or not. They could've used the UFO angle, the evidence he said he saw and read angle, the TERRORIST angle (a favorite). However, it was mostly ignored. I didn't see a single story about it; I had a UFO buff friend of mine inform me.

Remember the Duke Lacrosse rape scandel. It brought huge ratings. The media loved this story.
abcnews.go.com... OTC-RSSFeeds0312

Similar awful rape case, but with the races reversed, is ignored by national press and seems to have only gotten local attention.
mylifeofcrime.wordpress.com... 7/01/14/channon-christian-and-chris-newsom-murder-1607-knoxville-tn/

This was brought to my attention by the lovely site you're currently perusing here...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

And let's not forget O'Hare, google it as I'm done providing links for now, I've got a 5:15 at the gym. O'Hare was mentioned, but it was quickly brushed aside and made light of. That's insane. Such a big sighting could've been talked about for weeks and would've killed in the ratings. UFOs are far more interesting than some kentucky fried, drug addicted, hooker that ODed.

So I've concluded that the media is not just a whore, but is also an information gatekeeper. Perhaps you could call it "the national lullaby."
The bottom line is that information is indeed controlled both overtly and subtly to keep the mass conciousness thinking in a certain way.

Anyone have any insight?

Perhaps other cases like these?

Help me out here if you think I've hit a few nails on the head or if I've broken a thumb.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Well, as a media communications student, I can tell you that the media is largely regulated by the FCC... Now, whether corporations have gotten their foot in the door or not,I don't know. I suspect they have;they certainly do seem to control the decisions of our "fearless" leaders nowadays.

What's amazing to me is soem of the "ground breaking" questions journalists ask nowadays. Questions like: "How do you feel about blank?" Also, it's amazing to me, some of the terminology some of the modern day journalists use. For example, about a month ago there was a bad coldfront that hit Texas...On the news there was this journalist who was trying to explain the icy conditions of the roads...Here is what it somewhat sounded like...

Journalist: "I am here on I-35 where road workers are trying to salt the icy roads. Now, from a distance this ice looks virtually like water but in reality is real ice. The ice is not virtual water it is real ice in reality."

Huh?
Nah, I thought it was only real ice in virtual reality!!
I don't know where some of these people get their degrees from, but I suggest that they do an overhaul of the journalism programs at the colleges and universities.

[edit on 26-2-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I totally agree with you Sunsetspawn. Each of the news channels even preview their own upcoming news segments to get you to watch their show instead of the 'other' show.

On the Anna Nicole story: I really feel that this Judge Larry Seidlin was selected to handle the case of who to give the remains to because they knew that he would make a circus of it... giving it complete media attention... taking the public attention away from more important issues that probably are being hidden from the public.

There is much to be investigated here. It's the tip of the iceberg. We are all being led away from the real world by the pretty lights.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The Media - Corporate Whores or Information Gatekeepers

that would make a good skit on the daily show

[edit on 28-2-2007 by syrinx high priest]

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
They are corporate whores, and it isn't just for the bucks they get from advertising, they deliberatly try to sell you lies, the mainstream media is a propaganda tool

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Corporate whores.

People will believe they are hearing the news if they hear tragedy.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   
A picture with the 6 groups that own all the big media on the planet :

They create that reality which is the most profitable for them

I see my freedom as something not influenced by the outside world, but people must know about the media. It's the media created reality we live in and if the media lies that's the reality for us. Good thing this internet

new topics

top topics

join