It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Scottish Call for Independence!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I should really be a full-time philosopher...

Bishop declares anti-Labour vote

This is in the news today, and even made the (Scottish) national news. Remember what I was saying about the problem with religion in Scottish politics way back at the beginning of the thread? Now some Catholic Cardinal has came out and made an attempt to influence the political situation. This would be because of the Catholic stance on gay marriages, I presume. Just watch the shower of lemmings follow this guy to whatever vote he insinuates.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
What does England gain from the Union. You appear to make out Scotland gets a wonderful deal, England is subsidising Scotland?

Is it not the case that oil revenue makes up approx 12 billion, Scotland receive back around 8 billion?

United Nations economists have projected an independent Scotland to be the worlds 5th richest nation while England falls to below the 20th richest.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rotator
What does England gain from the Union. You appear to make out Scotland gets a wonderful deal, England is subsidising Scotland?

Is it not the case that oil revenue makes up approx 12 billion, Scotland receive back around 8 billion?

United Nations economists have projected an independent Scotland to be the worlds 5th richest nation while England falls to below the 20th richest.

Yeah, right. With declining oil revenues only set to decline further, I dont see Scptland being 5th in any rankings...

The fact remains that it is established fact that Scotland is in a fiscal deficit if current per capita spending is maintained and they are removed from the Union. Not enough tax revenue is collected within Scotland to finance current spending levels.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Not yet have i heard what England gains from the Union apart from 4 billion.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rotator
Not yet have i heard what England gains from the Union apart from 4 billion.

Not an awful lot, financially anyway.

Government spending per head is lowest in England than anywhere else in the UK. Without Scotland, NI or even Wales, England would remain fiscally sound given current spending levels, whereas the same could not be said for the other 3, if they kept current spending levels per capita as they are now. In order for Scotland to maintain current spending levels per head, they would have to raise taxes so high that no Scot would have a bean to rub together and they're economy would bottom out.

Not really seeing what point your making apart from reinforcing my own?

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Im sorry to be re-lighting an old flame but i just discovered this topic...

Id like to start off by saying im shocked at the responses on a website like this, where you would have expected at least some non-bias responses...

Firstly to "infinite" who said "North Sea oil is in British waters, not Scottish. The water will still stay British even if Scotland leave meaning you would not get the oil money. That is another thing Salmond will not tell you. "

-When Scotland achieve Independence those British waters will become scottish i suggest you watch my oil cover up thread for some interesting facts.

And Secondly to "Terran Blue" who said "The call for the split is an ill thought out idea: an idea fuelled by wannabe Bravehearts and feasted upon by short sighted nationalist (and dare I say it, racist) Scots(...)But you know how it is Mick. ALL ENGLISH ARE EVIL."

-I am taking that as a personal slap in the face to not only my self but fellow scots... I dare you 'do not' say Racist, I follow the SNP im am by no means a racist, and the SNP a (centre-left Nationalist party) have no policies discriminating against others due to their race. I suggest you read a text book or somthing about nationalism. There is more than one kind of nationalism, not just the Ethnic nationalism the you are clearly only aware of.

I am away to posted a topic about Scottish Oil feel free to read and comment....

Saor Alba

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join