It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist: see Psalm 14:1

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Bump. Just wanted to remind everyone that the Bible openly attacks those who don't believe in god.

When all else fails, sing an ad hominem attack to atheists, right?

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
What's your beef with the Psalm?

It only calls out the person who says in their heart "There is no God."

But we all know that atheists don't say that in their hearts. Otherwise, they would believe something, but they don't have any beliefs, right? Theirs is only an absence of belief. That's the party line.

So, atheists don't believe there is no God. I read it on the web; it must be so.

If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it. Problem solved.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

14:1 The fool has said in his heart, There is no God. They
have corrupted themselves, and become abominable in
their devices; there is none that does goodness, there is
not even so much as one.--Greek LXX Psalm of David 14:1

If you are using quotes the please quote the whole part.

Bump. Just wanted to remind everyone that the Bible openly attacks those who don't believe in god.

When all else fails, sing an ad hominem attack to atheists, right?

Since you are an Atheist which means "Without God", then i think you should not care what the Bible says or does. And its a bit Hypocritical to claim that the Bible is an Evil doing, since according to you claim you are an atheist.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by eight bits

Well, I don't say that there couldn't be any god, I say there very probably isn't any god. Just like I can't say for sure that Carl Sagan's dragon isn't in my garage or that the celestial teapot of Russel doesn't exist. But they probably don't. But why would I bother saying that they 'probably' don't when they're both ridiculous claims? Just like the claims of any deity are ridiculous.

I doubt an absolutist deity cares about qualifiers anyway.

reply to post by Seed76

Why do I care? Because there are millions of people who believe this book is absolute truth and follow it to the letter.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Well, I don't say that there couldn't be any god, I say there very probably isn't any god. Just like I can't say for sure that Carl Sagan's dragon isn't in my garage or that the celestial teapot of Russel doesn't exist. But they probably don't. But why would I bother saying that they 'probably' don't when they're both ridiculous claims? Just like the claims of any deity are ridiculous.

So, we're back to the passage making no ad hominem remarks about you, nor about anyone else who believes as you do, but is commenting only about those people who hold a belief about God, that there is no God.

The psalmist was commenting about people who were straight that they believed something, and talked straight about what they believed.

Maybe somebody like that would be offended. But that's not your problem.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Why do I care? Because there are millions of people who believe this book is absolute truth and follow it to the letter.

Exactly. There are millions of people out there who consider the "Bible" as their Holy Book cause they simply believe, in God and Jesus. And since the bible is the Holy Book for Christianity, as Qur’an is the Holy Book for Muslims, to claim that Bible is an Evildoing Book cause you found a quote from a Psalm, to me does not make any sense at all.

If you are trying to say the Bible is wrong, then please do so and provide sufficient evidence as why the Bible is not the absolute truth. That would made more sense, according to my opinion.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
From the OP, it looks like he's asking a question about a specific part of the Bible he has a problem with.

I have as much issue with that particular quote as I do with the supposed statement by Ex-President Bush stating that atheists cannot be citizens.
(Yes, I am fully aware that the quote is at question.)

I note some posters have replied their interpretations, thank you.

It seems a pretty straight forward thing to address.

If you're a Christian theist, what's your understanding of the quote?

I'm asking because I myself would like to know the different views on it.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seed76
Exactly. There are millions of people out there who consider the "Bible" as their Holy Book cause they simply believe, in God and Jesus. And since the bible is the Holy Book for Christianity, as Qur’an is the Holy Book for Muslims, to claim that Bible is an Evildoing Book cause you found a quote from a Psalm, to me does not make any sense at all.

I'm not saying it's evil because of that one statement. I could say it's evil for a whole host of reasons. I'm saying that one passage is downright bigoted, ignorant, and stupid.

If you are trying to say the Bible is wrong, then please do so and provide sufficient evidence as why the Bible is not the absolute truth. That would made more sense, according to my opinion.

...I'm talking about one passage. If I wanted to go over the Bible I'd need a mega thread. There are whole websites devoted to why the Bible is not the absolute truth.

Hell, the only instance I'd need to prove the Bible isn't absolute truth would be Genesis 1-2 and the four Gospels that are inconsistent with each other.

But this is a thread about one stupid passage.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by eight bits

Here's a little bit of linguistic explanation.

There is no god = there isn't a god.

I say there isn't a god. I reject a positive claim as to the belief in any deity, though I readily accept that someone could try to prove it to me. Just like I reject the positive claim of miraculous yogic flight.

According to the Bible, I can do no good.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I'm not saying it's evil because of that one statement. I could say it's evil for a whole host of reasons. I'm saying that one passage is downright bigoted, ignorant, and stupid.

Of course you are not saying it´s evil, but certainly you presenting in that way, by your statement that the Bible attacks openly, those who do not believe in God.
Have you ever wondered or considered how many passages from countless books religious or not are bigoted,ignorant, and Stupid??.

Please do not feel offended or anything by my post. i am simply expressing my opinion. And it seems to me that you have some kind of obsession withe the Bible, since you are an atheist and you follow no religion.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

So the argument of the video and that you are making is this.

There are Atheists who were not fools.

Therefore, Atheists are not fools.

Therefore, I am an atheists...and am not a fool.

LOL...that is some great logic.

And please notice....the Psalm doesn't say "unintelligent"...it says fools. Smart people can be fools.

And it also seems, like a lot of other atheists I know, you worship humans who you deem to be "intelligent". And it seems like atheists think that by taking the same label as these "intelligent" people...that makes them intelligent as well. I would call that foolish.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Do you agree with the "abominable works" and corrupt as well?

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

If any of the people mentioned in the video is not a fool, it falsifies the entirety of the claim that they are. Alternatively, the people in that video most certainly don't fit in with the rest of the quote.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

If any of the people mentioned in the video is not a fool, it falsifies the entirety of the claim that they are. Alternatively, the people in that video most certainly don't fit in with the rest of the quote.

Would you agree that there are many ways to define a "fool"???

Would you agree that you could be brilliant in one area...and foolish in another???

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Sure, I guess you can be brilliant in one way and foolish in another, but that doesn't necessarily add up to net foolishness. In fact, everyone is foolish in some way or another. I'm hopeless with maritime law. I have no clue as to how to construct a blast furnace. But that doesn't make me a fool. In fact, that would make everyone a fool.

Then that would mean that the statement is thoroughly redundant, so it must be saying that the people are fools for saying there isn't a deity.

Either way, that still doesn't excuse the rest of the passage

The fool has said in his heart, There is no God.
They have corrupted themselves, and become abominable in
their devices; there is none that does goodness, there is
not even so much as one

I'm quite sure that atheists are overall no more or less abominable than any other group of people. I'm sure there are quite a lot that 'do goodness' in the world as well.

I guess helping my grandmother with her grocery shopping today was an abominable act.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by runetang
The Psalms do not apply to Christianity. Their author, King David, was not a Christian.

LEVITICUS does not apply to Christianity.

THE LAWS OF MOSES do not apply to Christianity.

The New Testament applies to Christianity.

The most important part of the Jewish Tanakh that applies to Christianity is the ten commandments, as well as the story of creation, the flood, sodom & gomorrah, and thats about it, save a few bits here and there.

Don't get the religions twisted.

[edit on 2/18/2007 by runetang]

Quoted for truth...
Brilliant!
Vicky

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

I think what the quote is saying is that the person is foolish for not having God in his/her heart.
That in itself is ridiculous... yes there are foolish religious folks and foolish atheists.... but just because one doesn't believe in God, does not mean they are foolish.... quite the opposite I'd say.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Originally posted by runetang
The Psalms do not apply to Christianity. Their author, King David, was not a Christian.

LEVITICUS does not apply to Christianity.

THE LAWS OF MOSES do not apply to Christianity.

The New Testament applies to Christianity.

The most important part of the Jewish Tanakh that applies to Christianity is the ten commandments, as well as the story of creation, the flood, sodom & gomorrah, and thats about it, save a few bits here and there.

Don't get the religions twisted.

[edit on 2/18/2007 by runetang]

Quoted for truth...
Brilliant!
Vicky

Jesus, like all the Jews of the first century, divided the Old Testament into three "collections": the law, the prophets, the psalms. Jesus said: "These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled." (Luke 24:44)

Sometimes the sum of the Old Testament was referred to as two collections: the law and the prophets. Intestingly, Jesus referred to Psalm 82:6 as "Law": "Jesus answered them, "Has it not been written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’?" John 10:34. This may explain why most of the time there were two collections referred to as a sum for the whole.

-"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. Matthew 5:17

-"For all the prophets and the Law prophesied until John. Matthew 11:13

-"The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John; since that time the gospel of the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it. Luke 16:16

-Philip found Nathanael and said to him, "We have found Him of whom Moses in the Law and also the Prophets wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph." John 1:45

-After the reading of the Law and the Prophets the synagogue officials sent to them, saying, "Brethren, if you have any word of exhortation for the people, say it." Acts 13:15

-"But this I admit to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect I do serve the God of our fathers, believing everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets; Acts 24:14

SOURCE: www.bible.ca...

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
The wisdom of this world is foolishness to God, and the wisdom of this world declares that God cannot exist. Plus being good and not evil in God's eyes is not the same as being good in man's eyes.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

...so you're going to paraphrase Biblical passages? I'm sorry, but the wisdom of this world provided us with computers. God's provided us with...millenia of strife.

new topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join