It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a kind Aussie give me some info please??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Me and my husband are wanting to emigrate to Oz in the next year or two. My brother moved to Rockhampton 2 years ago and says its a different world. Hubby is a plumber/gas installation engineer so we've been told he will be ok for work over there.

BUT...and before anyone tells me I KNOW this is pathetic but I need to know for my daughter's sake as I'm having a nightmare of a time at the moment...!

We have a border collie and we wanted to take her with us...My mother doesn't want us to go (nana & my daughter are very close!) and she's told us that whilst she was visiting my brother she was told that the Cane Toads will DEFINITELY kill our dog within a month or two of us arriving..

Can someone PLEASE tell me if this is true??? Surely there would be NO DOGS in Oz if that was the case???!

She said if the Cane Toads don't kill her the red backed spiders will as she picks spiders up and throws them around. Oh... and she also said that snakes come up the toilet... (wasn't too keen on that one myself!!)

My daughter is absolutely devastated as Mum explained that to her in a text message from Australia!!
We really are desperate to get over there in the next couple of years but this has put a HUGE spanner in the works!!
Thanks

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
No the cane toads will not kill the dog within a month unless you let the dog roam around the neighbourhood (laws against dogs being let to run around off leash in Oz) It is a good idea to keep all your pets confined to your yard and just be vigilant. Keep the yard clear of debris and other things that nasties like to shelter under. As far as cane toads go, there are many groups who have programs whereby they catch and hand them over to be humanely sent to the big cane toad ranch in the sky.

As far as snakes coming up the toilet, well I have never heard of this happening, but we do have a drought and hey anything is possible.

Many people in other countries are very ignorant and ill informed in regard to wildlife in Oz. Yes we have spiders, snakes and cane toads but we do not have people and pets dying every day because they encountered these beasties. We have crocs and 'roos too but not in the main streets of our cities. I have heard many silly stories especially from English people who have no clue what they are talking about.

By the way, how big do you reckon redback spiders are ? They can not be picked up and thrown around !!! They are very small, not like South American Tarantulas !!!

Exercise some sense and use the net to educate yourself about these critters before you get here.

Hope you enjoy Oz

[edit on 15-2-2007 by resistancia]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Thanks for the reply - I just wanted someone who knew what they were talking about to confirm it's not as bad as Nana says! (so I can show my daughter)

The dog is very good and she wouldn't be roaming on her own anywhere so that's ok. Like you said, I'll have a good look and find out as much as poss about them all so I know what to expect instead of listening to stories and hearsay.

I think it's a case of a Nana coming up with anything she thinks will make things difficult for us to leave!!

We can't wait to get over there but with an 11 year old saying she flat out isn't going and crying all the time it was getting hard work :bnghd:

Thanks again for your advice, much appreciated.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I was born in Oz and have very good friends who emigrated from Essex 6 years ago.

They got the 'please don't go' pleas from family, which is understandable.

They haven't looked back, family visit on average once a year and both have full time employment. They have 4 kids under the age of 11 and are convinced beyond doubt that Oz is the best country in general.

As far as pets are concerned there is a quarantine period but (it varies but 12 weeks for dogs) and you can visit your loved pets on a daily basis.

sanc

Feel free to send me a U2U if you have any questions.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Thanks Sanctum, I definitely think Oz is a better place to bring up children. I think we would all be much happier over there.

The UK just seems to be becoming a more and more stressful place to live (there was also a murder about 100 yards from our house last year and we actually live in what's regarded as a "nice" area!) Not good!

Daughter is much more positive after reading your post so thanks again

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I made a mistake regarding the quarantine period for your dog(s).

Because England is classed as "clear" the quarantine period is only 30 days.

And those stories of snakes coming up out of the loo...well let me just say someone is winding you up LOL.

My friends from Essex (Billericay) reckon it's the best thing they ever did and there's no way they would go back. They and their kids LOVE the Aussie lifestyle.

sanc

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by resistancia
....As far as cane toads go, there are many groups who have programs whereby they catch and hand them over to be humanely sent to the big cane toad ranch in the sky.

....I always found golf clubs were good for that, usually a driver

Natterjax whoever told you about the snakes coming up through the toilet is really jerking your chain. I think those stories came from the days when people had their toilets separate in their backyards

I'm sure you won't regret Rockhampton in the slightest.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 04:00 AM
link   
As like the other Aussies here have said "someones yanking your chain"about snakes in the loo,thats ridiculous,pay no attention.

I live in Western Australia,though have spent a holiday in Queensland and loved it.

Though Australia has more than her fair share of bitties,I have never lost an animal to them in 40 odd years,neither have I known anyone personally who has.It could be possible though.

Red Back spiders while venomous are not aggressive,when I see one in the yard I will kill it,though this is probably being overly cautious .Its highly unlikely your dog would ever see one because they like to be well hidden in a dark place,like under or in old drums/logs etc for example,they keep to themselves,people who are unfortunate enough to be bitten is usually through picking up those objects without looking underneath first and placing their hand directly on them.

Snakes vary in species from area to area,but depending on where you are you may not see one for as long as you live.If you take your dog out in the bush for a walk,just keep it on a lead for peace of mind.

Ticks could be a real concern in Rockhamton as a lot of cattle is breed up there,check your dog daily.

I`m sure your brother has informed you that Northern Queensland is very humid,it would definitely be a different world temperature wise and culturally than England,it would be hard for many Aussies to live up north until acclimatized,this will be your biggest challenge I think.

Oh and when you come here,you have to support the Aussie cricket team and slag off at the English or you will probably be sent home. j/k

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Mum is back from Oz on Friday (she's probably equipped herself with more horror stories for us when she gets back lol) At least now I have better information so can tell her that most of it is nonsense!

30 days quarantine for dogs is great news Sanctum. I always thought it was much longer.

As for the cane toads... I think my brother gives them a whack with something...not sure what! That would be one of hubby's jobs I think...

Gps777 thanks for the link, ticks was something I hadn't thought about. I was too busy wondering what the snakes would be doing after they'd climbed up my toilet...! Had it been possible I'm sure they'd have taken one look and gone back the other way lol. 40 years is a long time without losing a pet so it can't be as bad as I thought.... that's great to show my daughter, if that doesn't convince her then nothing will!

I agree with you, the humidity would be the biggest challenge (I've never been one for hot weather!) but comparing all the pros and cons with the UK it's something I'd have to get used to over time. It's a shame there isn't somewhere really close to Rockhampton that's cooler!

Thanks again everyone, your comments are really helpful and please accept my apologies if my questions seem a bit uneducated... I've only ever heard one side of the story with regards to all the critters. That's why I thought it would be better getting my info from the horse's mouth so to speak

new topics

top topics

join