It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

365 days in a Year- Says who???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
This Post is intended to make readers Think, Not Prove or Disprove Anything!

We take it for granted that a regular year, based on a solar calender is 265 days long. Now, I ask you: Science or Idology?

See the theory is based on the time it takes for the earth to make one Complete orbit of the sun!

Supposedly, you count the number of complete revolutions the Earth makes on it's aixs in the time the Earth completes one revelution around the sun. To make a scientifically valid observation, you need standars to measue by.

Using the horizon and the sun, you can make a farily accurate measument of where the earth is in it's rotation about it's axis, which gives you a fairly accurate standard for measuring the length of a day.

Now, Here's the Problem:

How do you accuratly figure out where the earth is in it's orbit of the sun?

You are saying that EXACTLY 365 day ago, the earth was right were it is at now. Can it be proven? I mean you cann't go out in space with a peace of chalk and mark where the earth is sitting.

Yes our year works, but who says the meaurment it's based on is Correct? Is there any prooof of it's correctness?

Tim

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   
it is something to do with how they measure the sun on the horizon in the northern hemisphere. i believe the navy american did an exact measurement or something to measure it.

don't quote me on this, i just heard it somewhere.

Edn

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
For on thing a year is not 365 days. A year depends on how you calculate it, on average it differs from 365.242 - 365.259 (excluding years calculated with the moon).

365.25 is normally used for all astronomical and science purposes.

As for us being where we were exactly a year ago, its impossible, even if the sun and our galaxy wasn't moving our Earth doesn't have a perfect orbit.

Btw the solar calender isn't 256 days long its 365.242.

As for calculating how long a year is yourself I would expect the easiest way to do it without being off by to much is by using the stars in the Northern hemisphere as they should rotate around Polaris every 365~ days.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost01
How do you accuratly figure out where the earth is in it's orbit of the sun?

I beleive its done by observing the constellations, which act as landmarks.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
first the earth spins on its axses you can prove this buy watching the sun rise and set every day.
second the earth is also tilted and u can prove this by the seasions as earth orbits around the sun the surrfice gets different amounts of light .
an excample the northern hempher is amined towards the sun more in the summer alowing the suns rays to hit it more directly causing it to get warmer thus summer.
in winter as the planet has moved to its oppsit location in orbit the same location is now pointed more away or farther north so the suns rays hit it at more of an angel causing winter.
you can easly prove all of this just by picking out a few land marks and watch through the year as the sun slowly changes its posion farther south
untill december 22 wich is it lowest point then starts back up.
so to prove the 365 days theroy just mark the lowest point the suns is and count the days untill its back to that same lowest point.
you neeed no special training to do this just go out side and mark were the sun is located at 1200 every day and count .

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Picking up a physics book always opens a world of new knowledge, understanding, and possibly even wisdom if studied correctly. Before pondering such questions, one must search for the answer first before attempting to make a profound statement to others.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I believe this to be a very good question and I have to add 2 questions more in this context:

1.) In ancient times the calendars had a year of just 360 days.
Sumerian calendar I believe, maybe the Aegyptians too.

They had very precise methods to measure time.
Only in the 18th century we had the same precision again it is said.

Does it mean the earth is revolving around the sun faster now ?

2.) Every living being has a "biological clock" built in.
This clock regulates body functions in a very sophisticated manner.

This rythm switches automatically from a 24 hours pattern to a 25 hours pattern
if you put a living being in an environment where daylight is excluded.

I always was curious what that could mean.
Maybe someone here knows the answers ?
Thank you !

[edit on 3-2-2007 by cycles]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Here is some stuff for your consideration. I wish I were high or something and this would probably be perfectly logical ideas, but here goes.

Maybe the perfect cycle or year was 360, then something happened according to Gods plan or the fall of man. Thus we have the 365.25 day cycle.

Perhaps these earth changes we are beginning to see in reality now are just signs of the earth readjusting slowly back to a 360 day cycle of a year? If it happened suddenly, we would all probably fly off the earth in some direction, so maybe it occurs slowly so that our environment causes us some havoc but eventually within a span of a short time we come back into a harmony of sorts.

Sounds good to me with a beer!

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The seasons caused by the tilt of the Earth are the best indicators, but even if there was no tilt and no seasons, the length of the year could (I think) still be determined by other celestial observations.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Wow Ben

i think i understand your implication...it makes a very potential possibility

and i'm NOT high either

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Scientists do NOT measure the position of Earth like they measure the length of a rod! There are different ways to measure things, you can measure absolutes or relatively. Either way you can arrive at definitive answers.

Now the Sun isnt constant exactly, so there would be some movement of our sun. The Sun/Sol system moves along with the Sun in its rotation around the galaxy. So the earths orbit changes with respect to space each time by a tiny amount yet relative to the Sun its orbit is at a relatively fixed distance(you can say decay also, but lets forget about that for a sec)

Generally they measure the position with respect the other stars in the galaxy or with other objects . Since the motion of the Earth around the sun is greater than the motion of these stars around the galaxy it gives us a fairly approximate value. Now these star's motion is compensated and we get the exact position. You could also do this by measuring our position wrt to the light or you could do it theorectically by calculating the gravitational forces.

There are many ways to measure I am sure. I am no cosmologist or other space scientists. Yet these few obvious ways are clear for me to understand.

You kids should seriously look up google. They usually have all the answers.

And please leave "God" at the door before you enter science class. Science doest tell you how to pray, dont let faith teach you how to think!

[edit on 4-2-2007 by IAF101]

top topics

join