It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange thing happened at work...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Let me begin by first saying that I'd love to believe in ghosts and the like because it would mean that there might be something else besides our present world after death, but I've never had any anything happen to me that would indicate that this would be true.

I had a strange thing happen to me at work last night. I'm a nurse and work in the critical care area of the hospital. I've worked there for some time now. I'm familiar with grieving families and are able to help them with their grief if a loved one of theirs is dying. In critical care this happens every now and then. A gentleman came in with his wife, who was our patient, and wanted to let her go. She had suffered a massive stroke and was dying and he wanted her removed from life support, but didn't want to stay and be there when it happened. They had been married for 66 years and he was quite elderly also and it was getting dark and he wanted to go home. He told me he had said his goodbyes to her and that it would be ok if he wasn't there. I told him that I'd make sure his wife was comfortable and would stay with her until she passed.

She had no brain function left and so after respiratory took her off the ventilator she started to pass away quite soon. I sat next to her and held her hand. Afterwards I was caught up in the preliminary paperwork of calling all the listed places and filling out all the forms, when I heard someone next to me say "Hello, How are you?" quite clearly and as if they were right next to me. I was startled because I was so involved in my paperwork that I thought I didn't hear someone come walking up and so I jumped slightly and turned in the direction of the voice. There wasn't anyone there. There wasn't anyone in the hall at all. The lady that died was very old, 88 years old in fact, but the voice I heard was of someone you'd think to be quite young, in their twenties or so. It was a very clear and distinct voice. It really startled me.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? Could it have been the woman that died? Why would her voice sound young? Why would she say hello and ask me how I was? I've never had an experience like this before. I really find it to be strange. Anyone else?

Thanks for your time!

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Hi Praxilla !

Well, you've had an intriguing experience!

As to the youthfulness of the voice, can say that many elderly women sometimes sound several decades younger than they actually are. I remember speaking with a woman by phone a few years ago (I'd never seen her, just spoken to her on the phone) and for weeks I was under the impression she was in her early 30s or thereabouts, until she revealed during conversation that she was past 80. Possibly the elderly woman who died on your shift had a youthful sounding voice when she was alive. Or, as some claim, after death she may have reverted to the way she was during her peak, in her 20s for example.

Just speculating here, because there's no way to know what you actually experienced, but perhaps after death, the woman felt perfectly well and climbed out of bed to find out why she was in a hospital. She may have wandered through corridors until she found you. Or she may have come to you because you were the last person she saw before she died, so hoped you would explain why she was there. A habit of good manners may be the reason she asked you how you were.

It could even be that she came to thank you before she departed.

Nice story. Did you ever speak to the woman's husband again?

If you bumped into him again, would you tell him what you experienced?

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
You know I don't think I'd tell him about it. He seemed kinda distant in a way. I told my husband about it right after it happened, but didn't feel comfortable telling anyone else at work. So, I was looking on the internet and thought of my friends on here. I knew at least y'all would understand and not think it weird. Thanks for your reply!

xxxx
Prax

new topics

join