It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: SOCCER: Greece KOs Defending Champion France

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 01:47 AM
link   
The world of soccer (football) is changing. The kings of the hill are being knocked back. There seems to be a power shift as more teams are improving and able to compete with the big boys. France was the latest team to fail to move on in Euro 2004. Germany, Italy, Spain, and England were the others that could not make it to the semi-finals. Greece was able to topple the French on a beautiful cross into the box and a lazer targeted header just under the crossbar. This snapped France's 22 game unbeated streak.

Associated Press
LISBON, Portugal - Defending champion France was knocked out of the European Championship on Friday night, losing 1-0 to Greece in a quarterfinal that became the latest upset in a tournament filled with surprising results.

For the first time in the history of the quadrennial tournament, which began in 1960, Europe's five biggest soccer powers all failed to make the semifinals. Germany, Italy and Spain were eliminated in the first round, and England lost its quarterfinal to Portugal on Thursday.

Comments:
Good for Greece. I like to see the underdog win if I do not have a favorite. I am also glad that other countries are getting good enough to compete. It makes for a much more exciting world. Specially if you are the favorite, you will be nervous, instead of sitting back and saying... Oh, no problem, these guys are easy.

They made it to the quarter finals... they are not push-over.

TRD

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Major upset but when you look at it France never played that well overall. In the group games they looked a bit dodgy. The greeks have played well throughput and deserved the win they played real well..There is still a few good teams in it still, you have Portugal and Holland. I wouldn't like to say who will win it now...

join