It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nightmares while sleeping on my back?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I can never get a straight answer for this question. (Probably because there isn't one lol)...

But EVERY time I sleep on my back, I have nightmares. These nightmares always have something to do with being mugged and bashed or being in a car accident, or a family member being killed, or something.

Does anyone know why this is? I used to think it was all "in the mind", because every time before I lay on my back, I think to myself "I wonder if I will have a nightmare". So I stopped thinking about that, and I thought about other things before I feel asleep, but this didn't work. Still, I have nightmares while sleeping on my back.

I don't have nightmares when sleeping on my sides.

Does anyone know why?

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
One possibility is that sleeping on your back is a more vulnerable position. For example animals in a submissive state will expose their bellies. But in a defensive state they will typically guard themselves by keeping their bellies facing the ground. Predators will often aim for the belly of prey as well because it's a vulnerable spot. It could be something instinctual. But it's just my guess.
I have trouble sleeping on my back too, so I always sleep face down...to me it just feels more natural and I don't have any problems.

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Thanks for your reply.

Hmmm interesting thought. It's weird, because I actually feel more comfortable sleeping on my back, but always tend to have nightmares when I do. If it is something instinctual, maybe I can change the way my body reacts to it?

I wish I knew the answer because I'd like to sleep on my back again. Much comfier, more relaxing and before all these nightmares started, it felt natural to sleep on my back.

When I was a kid, I never had problems sleeping on my back, but once I reached the age of about 10 or 11, the nightmares started every time I slept on my back.

Not sure what set it off either.

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Do you ever notice yourself having trouble breathing when you sleep on your back?

I know that when I sleep on my back, I tend to have problems breathing, and I snore, and have nightmares. I think it has something to do with the anxiety that comes from the inability to breath. That could just be my case, and not apply to you at all.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Nah, everything seems quite normal when I do sleep on my back. No trouble sleeping, no snoring or anything. That's why I have thought that it's all in my mind, and maybe subconsciously I can bring myself out of it.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I think you probably can "reprogramme" yourself to stop. What types of things have you tried so far to change this pattern?

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Well, not much because I don't know how or what to do.

I have suspected that it's all in the mind, so for a whole week I went to bed, laid straight on my back and I said to myself, "I am laying on my back all night, and I am not going to have a nightmare."

However, by the 3rd night I had already had 3 nightmares, it didn't seem to work.

I have also tried to just "accidentally" start sleeping on my back, without even telling myself in my head that I wont have a nightmare, before I sleep. That didn't work either.

I don't know what else to do. I'd like to be able to sleep on my back again, I tend to have a better nights sleep. I don't know what else to try.

This only happened when I reached the age of 12 or 13. Even 14. I am 21 now. So I don't think it could be a "submissive" thing, or breathing issues because it would have happened before I was 11.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   
hola rocky member me? yeah well about 5 years ago i had this really hellish nightmare (gave me seizures and me mum had to take me to hospital) scared the f*ck outta me and after that i never ever slept on my back i didnt notice it till you said somthin but ive always slept on my stomach never even feel comfortable on my side or back, sometimes ill lay on my back and feel comfort physically but not mentally its like somthin in the back of my mind says dont you dare fall asleep on your back. idunno why but i do agree it might be instictual. oh and another thing do you wake up constantly at night if so ya might wanna have your doc check ya out i have sleep apnea and i wake at least 10-20 times a night for no reason.

[edit on ampFri, 29 Dec 2006 00:26:15 -0600/02/91 by adamiskthespacepirateking]

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Hmm very interesting! Maybe you're right - Could be instinctual.

Nah, never have any real problems sleeping, I'll probably wake up 3-4 times during the night but that's quite normal. I usually sleep on my stomach, and sometimes I sleep on my sides without issues at all.

I generally regard myself as a good sleeper, expect for the nightmares on my back. I mean, realistically, it's not affecting my life in a major way or anything, but sleeping on my back has always been comfier and quicker to get to sleep on a hot, balmy summer night in Sydney.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I have read that more extroverted people prefer to sleep on their backs and the introverts on their stomachs or sides. I am not sure if this has anything to do with your nightmares, but maybe you feel as if you are too 'open' on your back, which causes you subconsiously to begin to have anxiety.... the anxiety resulting in the nightmares. I am not sure how credible a theory this is... but just a thought.

Also, I have never actually had a 'real' dream. All of my dreams are nightmares in some sense. There is always a struggle of some sort in my dreams... So at least you know you aren't alone in your nightmares!...

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I have heard theories stating that we are more prone to nightmares when we sleep on our back but I don't know. I have never been able to sleep on my back really... something about facing the ceiling really bothers me. :shk:

[edit on 25-1-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Maybe it is that when we sleep upon our backs we are facing God.

Should God be reproved of man? Why dost thou strive against him? because he giveth thee no *accomptes of all his doings? For when God doth once command a thing there should no man be curious, to search whether it be right. In dreams and visions of the night season When slumbering cometh upon men, that they fall asleep in their beds ) he roundeth them in the ears, he informeth them, and showeth them plainly, that it is he, which withdraweth man from evil, delivereth him from pride, keepeth his soul from destruction, and his life from the sword. He chasteneth him with sickness, and bringeth him to his bed: he layeth sore punishment upon his bones, so that his life may away with no bread, and his soul abhorreth to eat any dainty meat. In so much that his body is clean consumed away, and his bones appear no more. His soul draweth onto destruction, and his life to death. Now if there be a messenger ( one among a thousand ) sent for to speak unto man, and to show him the right way: then the Lord is merciful unto him, and sayeth: He shall be delivered, that he fall not down to destruction, for I am sufficiently reconciled. Then his flesh ( which hath been in misery and trouble ) shall be as it was in his youth. For if he submit himself unto God, he is gracious, and showeth him his countenance joyfully, and rewardeth man for his righteousness. Such a respect hath he unto men. Therefore let a man confess ( and say ) I offended, but he hath chastened and reformed me: I did unrighteously nevertheless he hath not recompensed me thereafter. Yee he hath delivered my soul from destruction, and my life, that it seeth the light. Lo, thus worketh God always with man, that he keepeth his soul from perishing, and letteth him enjoy the light of living. Mark well ( O' Job ) and hear me: hold thee still until I have spoken. But if thou hast anything to say, then answer me, and speak. fro thy answer pleaseth me. If thou hast nothing, then hear me, and hold thy tongue, so shall I teach thee wisdom.

top topics

join