It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Special Forces - who's the best?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Hi there.
I was wondering what everyone's views were on the best special forces units on earth eg. SAS, SEALS, Spetznatz. I'm not a military man myself and would be interested to see what you all thought about who has the best training, weapons, gadgets etc.
I only know a little about the SAS - they seem highly organised, tough and adaptable, yet I'm not sure their equipment is as advanced as that of the SEALS, for instance.
What do you all think?

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by funlovincriminal
Hi there.
I was wondering what everyone's views were on the best special forces units on earth eg. SAS, SEALS, Spetznatz. I'm not a military man myself and would be interested to see what you all thought about who has the best training, weapons, gadgets etc.
I only know a little about the SAS - they seem highly organised, tough and adaptable, yet I'm not sure their equipment is as advanced as that of the SEALS, for instance.
What do you all think?

They each have their own unique mission, basically. If you're a hostage, for example, you would want Delta Force to storm in and break you out.
Need an underwater explosive put in place? CAll the SEALS. Wanna go in and capture a warlord? Call in the Rangers..
Need a good sniper team? Call the Marines.

[Edited on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 12:36 PM
link   
watched a good documentary about the US marines snipers last week on Discovery - hard training indeed!

[Edited on 21/11/03 by funlovincriminal]

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by funlovincriminal
watched a good documentary about the US marines snipers last week on Discovery - hard training indeed!

[Edited on 21/11/03 by funlovincriminal]

Yeah. Definitely. The US Army also trains snipers. One of their schools is at Ft. Lewis, Washington.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:14 PM
link   
You guys and gals might find this thread interesting:
"Who has the best Special Forces ?"
Link:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

regards
seekerof

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Cool. Will check it out. I have a friend who trains SEALS in weapons. He was telling me some pretty interesting stuff. Differences in the various groups. It's fascinating.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:22 PM
link   
They each have their own unique mission, basically. If you're a hostage, for example, you would want Delta Force to storm in and break you out.
Need an underwater explosive put in place? CAll the SEALS. Wanna go in and capture a warlord? Call in the Rangers..
Need a good sniper team? Call the Marines.

[Edited on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

East Coast's right on the money, used to be in SOCOM back in the 80's.
Rangers are more of a hit and run, airfield takedown type unit.
SF is more designed to train other countries military to defend or take down their own government.
Delta is for mostly hostage rescue, though their mission has changed dramatically over the years.
SEALS kinda obviouse
Force Recon / Anglaco they fall under department of the Navy so...........probably a little of everything.
Heard some of the smaller countries have bad azz spec ops units like the Australian Rangers and the Greek version of the SEALS

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Any as the best..

There really are many very good units in various nations that are in the same line..

US special forces just have this little advantage over others as they have lots of special aircrafts..

Most of all AC-130 series..

But some other and non-US units might be better in another ways..

Like Israeli units, SAS and many European units..

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I think its Spetnaz.

Cause they are trained in more ways to kill people.

please post what each of your best SF training.

how they train

what kind of tecniques(spelling)

etc

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:25 PM
link   
SAS has longest and best track record..

They also train many other SF units around the world..

Like German and US units.. etc..

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Here's a good source for more info:
www.specwarnet.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FULCRUM
Any as the best..

There really are many very good units in various nations that are in the same line..

US special forces just have this little advantage over others as they have lots of special aircrafts..

Most of all AC-130 series..

But some other and non-US units might be better in another ways..

Like Israeli units, SAS and many European units..

AC-130s and EC-130s Belong to the Air Force.......forgot the Airforce ParaRescue or PJs
Now SF might jump from one for HALO or HAHO

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:29 PM
link   
thanks for the link, Seekerof. I tried a search and didn't get anything - must have done a typo in my search(not surprising after a few vodkas) - didn't know there was a previous thread. this one is starting to get interesting though

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian
I think its Spetnaz.

Cause they are trained in more ways to kill people.

please post what each of your best SF training.

how they train

what kind of tecniques(spelling)
Believe it or not we had to extensivly study SPETNAZ techniques. Back then we were in the cold war. They did do quite a bit more let's say.............crazy stuff. One was jumping from aircraft without shoots in extreme low altitude into the snow. Needless to say that method of delivery was abandoned.

etc

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:33 PM
link   
No problem funlovincriminal,
I didn't present it to say there was a previous thread on this already but in hopes that many would look at the information presented by and in the old thread...good stuff.

I was also hoping that this thread would expand on the old thread anyhow....very good topic and quite interesting to see the responses.

regards
seekerof

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I'm reading the old thread just now, Seekerof - interesting. I'd forgotten all about the Gurkhas - tough little buggers

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:40 PM
link   
One of the best.
www.specialoperations.com...
If you think that SAS or Delta are the best, I know these guys are as good as the Brits and Americans are.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The main mission of a Spetsnaz fighter in a combat is to destroy the enemy with any available means as quickly as possible despite their arms and superior number.
The fighter himself should not be seriously affected, otherwise he could jeopardize the achievement of a fighting mission by his reconnaissance/sabotage team. That's why the combat training of a fighter from the Spetsnaz is aimed at gaining a flawless proficiency in many types of fire arms and cold steel and traditionally a combat knife is of special importance among them

Training

Those joining Spetsnaz with no previous military experience must be given the normal recruit's basic training in discipline, marching, fieldcraft, weapons handling, and range work. Once the recruit moves on to proper Spetsnaz training, however, the pressure intensifies:

weapons handling, including the use of foreign weapons and marksmanship;

physical fitness, with an emphasis on endurance and strength;

tracking, patrolling, camouflage, and surveillance techniques, including survival in a wide variety of harsh environments;

hand-to-hand combat, both unarmed and with knives (both hand-held and throwing), and assassination of designated targets;

sabotage and demolition;

language training and prisoner interrogation;

infiltration by air, including parachuting for fixed-wing aircraft, and exit from helicopters by ropes or parachute.

Naval Spetsnaz must, in addition, learn combat swimmer techniques, the use of underwater weapons, canoeing, arrival and exit over beaches, exit and entry to submerged submarines. (Note: this is not all Spetsnaz training, this is only to give the reader a better understanding of what Spetsnaz training is like).

more SAS troops have been KIA in the Gulf War in Iraq,alone, than Spetsnaz in Chechnya, Afghanistan, and all other conflicts combined. Russian Spetsnaz training is extremely harsh, compared to western Spec Ops, and can last up to 5 years. You must serve in the Young Pioneers as a child before even considering conscription into Spetsnaz. Spetznaz are trained killers, and known for their brutality

Also I found out that in Spetsnaz if you are injuried or you dont want to shoot a person your commander tells you to shoot then you are killed.

Every Spetsnaz has a lethal injection shot in his posetion just incase some get injuried and is slowing down the troops they give the injuried solrier that shot and then go on.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I like the idea from the other thread Seekerof posted about having a special forces olympics. That would be badass extraordinaire would it not? I'd pay good money to see it.
Let's face it, there are extraordinary warriors among all of the mentioned forces.

Does anyone know the name of Israel's spec. ops unit? I read about it long ago and the training they have to endure. BADAZZ#, man. They're probably right at the top of the heap.

posted on Nov, 21 2003 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Agree with you there, EastCoastKid - that would be something else. It would have to be in different scenarios though, as most SF's have their own field of expertise.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join