It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Augusto Pinochet has died

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
General Augusto Pinochet has died. Pinochet was a dictator who came to power in Chile when he overthrew the left wing government in 1973. He left office in 1990.

www.cnn.com
Gen. Augusto Pinochet, who overthrew Chile's democratically elected Marxist president in a bloody coup and ruled the Andean nation for 17 years, died Sunday, dashing hopes of victims of his regime's abuses that he would be brought to justice. He was 91.

Pinochet suffered a heart attack a week ago and underwent an angioplasty, and the brief announcement by the Santiago Military hospital said his condition worsened suddenly on Sunday.
The CIA tried for months to destabilize the Allende government, including financing a truckers strike that paralyzed the delivery of goods across Chile, but Washington denied having anything to do with the coup.

In the days following Pinochet's seizure of power, soldiers carried out mass arrests of leftists. Tanks rumbled through the streets of the capital.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Pinochet was just another dictator who the US supported thou out the cold war because he adopted an anti communist stance. Pinochet was also smart enough to stay on side with the US government as the cold war came to a close. No doubt Reagan must have approved of his free market economic policy's.

Pinochet used the old means of defending himself against legal action he claimed that the murder of political opponents was committed by the lower ranks without his knowledge. He also claimed that he wasn't in good enough health to face justice.

Up until recently one wonders just how much Pinochet was using his ill health to his advantage. I have no doubt that due to the fact he stayed on side with the US government there was no concrete effort to bring him to justice.

Also by avoiding the issue the US government has avoided certain issues that have or would arise to do with a certain torture scandal in Iraq but thats another topic.

Related News Links:
www.smh.com.au

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I for one will not mourn his loss. It is a pity that he died before he could truly be brought to justice. Another former dictator in the grave as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Yes, another dictator that escapes justices.

I am an atheist, but if I am wrong I hope he gets what he deserves on the "other side".

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   
We can only hope that those who wanted to see justice done to Pinochet will turn their attentions to the other criminal who helped so much in putting him in power... Henry Kissinger.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beelzebubba
We can only hope that those who wanted to see justice done to Pinochet will turn their attentions to the other criminal who helped so much in putting him in power... Henry Kissinger.

Doctor Kissinger, the Nobel laureate -if it was in psychology, I could understand.. but it's in PEACE! (I still don't get it)- the sleekest prutz among smautz to walk this earth. The only person who grows even more vain by age. Such a cultured man cannot have blood on his hand.

By the way anybody know the Grateful Dead video, where he's invited backstage, and they just makes a joke of him - without him noticing the slightest in his meglomanic vanity. A true Laureate of Jokes.

Unfortunately it was horror he dealt in - and the Chilenian was among the worst. But they needed the copper for the IT revolution.

top topics

join