It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A very Capable Eurofighter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
My source:
Modern Military Aircraft Edited by Jim Winchester

In the Eurofighter section I quote :"The original Eurofighter was even more capable than that now being built, but following considerable German opposition to the original price tag consortium agreed to build a less costly design"

Would the original Typhoon have been beter then the F-22?
Does anybody have info on the original EF-2000

Another source:
www.faqs.org...

[edit on 9-12-2006 by Shadowraven]

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Original EF2000 was better because it had more advanced (planned) avionics and electronic equipment. This was the primary object of costs cuttings. For example, only 36 German Eurofighters from all ordered will have DASS (Defensive Aids Sub-System). Of course, it can be implemented to all machines during future modernisations, but as costs-down example its good.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowraven
My source:
Modern Military Aircraft Edited by Jim Winchester

In the Eurofighter section I quote :"The original Eurofighter was even more capable than that now being built, but following considerable German opposition to the original price tag consortium agreed to build a less costly design"

[edit on 9-12-2006 by Shadowraven]

Shad, the source is flawed. The German opposition led to several alternatives being examined, including ditching CAPTOR for off the shelf APG-65's, swapping EJ200's for RB199's, right through to dropping the Typhoon completely and buying F-16's or F-18s instead of the Typhoon.

It was found that every alternative studied was inferior (surprise!) and also that none of them was significantly cheaper and all of them would result in the Luftwaffe having to wait longer for new aircraft than they would if the Typhoon just carried on as is.

It is quite wrong though to suggest the Typhoon is now less capable, as no changes to the specification were made. As a compromise it was agreed that the Typhoon should continue as before but that Germany would not buy some items of equipment (such as the DASS that Matej mentioned). The full DASS and sensor suites that were always planned are included on the aircraft of the other three partners, so no, the 'original EF2000' was not better than that built.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowraven
Would the original Typhoon have been beter then the F-22?

Even though the presumption was wrong as Waynos pointed out the answer is and still remains, no.

top topics

join