It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dutch Government To Ban Burqas.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The Netherlands center right government has announced a move to ban certain types of Islamic dress. Namely the burqa or all garments that completely cover the face. The largest Muslim organization in the Netherlands has criticized the ban as "an overreaction to a marginal problem". General elections are to be held Nov. 22 and what affect this move will have on Dutch public opinion iis still up in the air.

news.yahoo.com
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The Dutch government announced plans Friday for legislation banning full-length veils in public places and other clothing that covers the face — putting the Netherlands at the forefront of a general European hardening toward Muslim minorities.

The Netherlands, once considered one of Europe's most welcoming nations for immigrants and asylum seekers, is deeply divided over moves by the government to stem the tide of new arrivals and compel immigrants to assimilate into Dutch society.

"The Cabinet finds it undesirable that face-covering clothing — including the burqa — is worn in public places for reasons of public order, security and protection of citizens," Immigration Minister Rita Verdonk said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well this on the face of it looks to me like a government that may be on its way out trying to take advantage of the recent anti-muslim feelings that have been rising throughout Europe to bolster support. But I can't say that I disagree with the ban. I wouldn't like it here in the US but Europe is a whole different kettle of fish.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I don't understand the point in doing this. It will just deepen the gap between Muslims and Natives in Europe. In the US we never had a real problem with what people wear. That is a trivial issue.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
In the US we never had a real problem with what people wear.

I belive that is because we are a nation of laws and those laws already prohibit them from being worn while driving because it hinders ones vision driving.

Their main grievance is that it is only a few dozen fantics (new converts according to some) insiting they have the right while there is nothing in the Koran that actually states they must wear them. If I am correct what they are doing is following the lead of other countries by making their own laws, but I could be wrong.

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
I don't understand the point in doing this. It will just deepen the gap between Muslims and Natives in Europe. In the US we never had a real problem with what people wear. That is a trivial issue.

Exactly. The Dutch are really asking for it now. If they thought the reaction from that cartoon was bad... just wait until word of this gets to those nuts in the ME.

top topics

join