It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone tell me what the Davinci Code is all about?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
...the book is based on 95% truth and 5% fiction. The fiction is what has gotten Brown into trouble.

I'm not sure if I quite agree with that ratio, Speaker.
Let's call it 50-50.

It's a blast to read, as are Angels and Demons, Deception Point, and Digital Fortress.

(Now before someone blasts me...please note that I didn't say that they are great references if you want to learn about the Church, NASA, NSA, Encryption, The Knights Templar, Illuminati, how totally nerdy dudes can score with hot chicks, etc... I just said they were fun to read.)

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius

I'm not sure if I quite agree with that ratio, Speaker.
Let's call it 50-50.

Fair enough....

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 06:03 AM
link   

The book is an attack on the truth plain and simple.

I would have to agree your truth is simple but hardly plain. It has been
buried in so much dogma and "revieled truth" over the centuries that there is little
of the original basic belief left.

OOPS! my karma just ran over your dogma. sorry.

I'm used to dealing with those that lack knowledge and but like toss eggs.

being a self-professed fundiementalist and no doubt evangelical,
Im sure you are. You people cant even agree amoung yourselves who is
right. If you ask 10 different fundiegelicals you get the same answer IM right
and THEY are wrong.

However,where have people deducted that Jesus must have kissed her? On her "lips."

You are right of course the where of the kiss is open for question. It could have been anywhere. However if it could be positively established it was on the lips the
question would still remain, Which Lips?

Everything, dont sweat it. SoT and I are often on at each other. we dont always agree.
that is the nature of this place. It is also the beauty of this place. Those with knowledge and Education can present different views and when necessary " agree to disagree" on things.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Greywolf,I don't have a problem with the assumption that Magdalene was "favored" over "all" of the other disciples. Hell, I don't have a problem with the Gnostics at all. I have several Gnostic inclinations myself. What I do have a problem with is people taking the Nag Hammadi,just like they do the bible, interpreting it by other people's standards, and trumpeting it around as the truth.Fundamentalists are renown for this.
In other words,just because someone says that that is what something says,doesn't mean that that is what it actually means.

With the Nag Hammadi being incomplete, it is hard to say with any certainty, exactly what the Gnostics believed. Even though we have more information about the Gnostics than we did before 1948 (?),...or was it 1947 that the Hammadi was discovered, we still have an incomplete grasp of exactly what they believed in relation to Jesus.

[edit on 10-11-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I am actually reading it for the first time....and while I find the 'action-packed' pulp fiction a bit distracting (wow I MUST be getting old!), I must say that I have found a wealth of information between and betwixt the French police chases and family skeletal revelations!

Mainly I am referring to the symbolism and other things of which the hero, Robert Langdon, is portrayed as an expert and professor. These things, so far, I have found to be 'not fiction' - many, if not most, fiction books, offer some sort of basis in 'reality' or 'facts' for their story line, and this book is no exception. These things are verifiable, too - it isn't a matter of not being available to the researcher - but rather an issue of being 'clued in' to various things not encountered in other studies.

When I first heard of the Fibonacci Sequence, I was amazed! And one thing I learned, in between the drama-rama of the story line, is that the 5 point star (drawn as a pentacle) is a perfect rendition of the divine proportion (1.618) in each of its segments, just by nature of the way in which it is drawn!

This is from page 103 (paperback edition):

"In closing," Langdon said, walking to the chalkboard, “we return to symbols.” He drew five intersecting lines that formed a five-pointed star. “This symbol is one of the most powerful images you will see this term. Formally known as a pentagram – or pentacle, as the ancients called it – this symbol is considered both divine and magical by many cultures. Can anyone tell me why that might be?”

Stettner, the math major, raised his hand. “Because if you draw a pentagram, the lines automatically divide themselves into segments according to the Divine Proportion.”

Langdon gave the kid a proud nod. “Nice job. Yes, the ratios of line segments in a pentacle all equal PHI, making this symbol the ultimate expression of the Divine Proportion. For this reason, the five-pointed star has always been the symbol for beauty and perfection associated with the goddess and the sacred feminine.”

The girls in class beamed.

Here are some links which address the symbology of the pentagram/pentacle outside of the DaVinci Code discussion:
Religious Tolerance
The Fallen Temple of the White Goddess
Symbols.com
About AltReligion
The Mystica

From my own studies – primarily focused on the Hebrew scriptures – 5 is the number of ‘grace’ and the 5th letter of the Hebrew alephbet is ‘he’ and represents ‘breath/spirit of God.’

During my search for the above links, I ran across a roughly equal amount of negative publicity for the pentagram – all seemed to be basically fundamentalist christian sources, or such and similar….and all made the basic same claims: that all the things the above links say are false and not proven, and yada yada yada…(the motive perhaps geared toward an eventual book-burning of all Dan Brown books and renaisance art?)

But a little study into various cultures and mythos and even geometry and astronomy prove that the links I favored do present reliable information…and these resources have been around a lot longer than both christianity and Dan Brown…

So while some like the book and others consider it garbage – I guess it all depends on what one is hoping to gain by reading it. I think that even if the only expectation was light intrigue as literary entertainment for a balmy hammock weekend – the book would probably deliver that just as well, too.

Personally, I have NEVER met a book I didn’t love and treasure – whatever the genre or classification. Information is like pennies – save all the tidbits and odds and ends up; one day you will find you have accumulated an immeasurable wealth that never depreciates!

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
I am actually reading it for the first time....and while I find the 'action-packed' pulp fiction a bit distracting (wow I MUST be getting old!), I must say that I have found a wealth of information between and betwixt the French police chases and family skeletal revelations!

I have never actually read the book myself. However,I am somewhat familiar with what the book proposes. I did order the movie Da Vinci Code, which is coming out Nov.14 on DVD, from Amazon.com today. I should have it before thanksgiving.I can't wait to see it.

Fibonacci sequence,

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I'm not sure what to do....laugh, too? Gently correct your numerical sequence?

1-1-2-3-5-8-13-21-34-55-89-144

This is found, also, in the bible!

I'm hoping to see the movie, too - just because I have never seen Tom Hanks do less than an astounding acting performance, regardless of the script! He is truly an artistic genius, IMO! Angel, that is, apostle of Christ...

Angels ~ (personal conviction: artists -all sorts- and geniuses are gifts - apostles, that is - from God for our ease of station in the interim - or 'the excruciating duration in the waiting room.')

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Queen,I thought you could start with any number in a fibonacci sequence?
I didn't know it had to be with a 1? Anyway,supposedly the fibonacci sequence comes out to be a ratio of the mysterious phi.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Actually, I guess you could if you wanted to....but you must start with one of the numbers in the sequence, I would think. Not all numbers fit the pattern.

1 + 1 = 2
then
1 + 2 = 3
then
2 + 3 = 5
then
3 + 5 = 8
and so on....ad infinitum....

See, each number is the sum of the 2 immediate preceding numbers...

and this sequence in prevalent in just about everything in creation -- and I mean EVERYTHING....except for one intriguing anomaly I have thought of (but haven't seen discussed anywhere in relation to it's odd-ball-ness as relating to this all-pervasive divine formula of creation)..

and that is....

snowflakes!

All snowflakes are hexagonal - but I imagine (?)
this has more to do with chemistry than divine architecture - the periodic table of elements has its own orderly perfection which doesn't fall under the rule of Fibonacci's sequence....and considering the benzene ring and other carbon based complex molecules, I am almost certain it has to do with all that....I'm not that good at chemistry unless someone gives me some tinker toys to build molecules with!

Here is a fascinating and thorough explanation/demonstration of this phenomenon - but it is authored by a very advanced mathematician - so even though it is a big website, for the average person it isn't so tedious - simply because much is way over (my head
anyways) the top! But it does give excellent examples and also includes rudimentary math theory for the average Joe GED.

I have found all but one or two of the numbers between 1 and 144 in the bible, too! They are given as people-counts, and end with the 144,000. See if you can find them, sometime if you have nothing better to do.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I alway felt like saying 1 twice was a waste, but that's the way it goes.

The book itself is good read. Mystery, action, and dramatic chase scenes. The really weird twist was how it tried to tie Christianity to some sort of druid paganism where women are worshiped in some sort of sexual ceremony. Oooh it all comes back to the mighty women who has been repressed, those poor things. The so called "Religious fact" portion of the story was at least 50% assumption and stabbing in the dark with a butter knife.

True there was a lot of interesting facts in the book, but combining facts doesn't mean the story is correct.

"A bullet killed JFK, Lincoln was shot with a bullet too, could it have been John Wayne? We saw him shoot a gun quite a few times?"

My biggest hang-up was their fascination with the Last Supper painting as if Da Vinci was actually there or had a Polaroid of the real Last Supper. Somehow he "knew" it was a woman beside Jesus. Sorry, but he wasn't born for what, about 1,400 years after Jesus? You could hardly say that his painting was anything other than religion as he interpreted it. Far from a factual rendition of the scene. Are we to believe that everyone was crowded around one side of the table? Na, it's just a cool painting.

I still think it's a good read, but even though I think Lord of the Rings is a good book don't expect me to go looking for Mordor or Hobbits.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Yes - but a story is a story - what should we expect?

I learned something from all the little golden books and the Dr Suess books, too....

They were just stories - Dr Suess didn't even include anything resembling 'facts.'

Yet his gifts serve me well even today.

One fish two fish red fish blue fish

(if anything, I might have learned to out-rap Eminem - as fast as I used to be able to recite that whole book! Sam I AM!)

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 05:59 AM
link   

I did order the movie Da Vinci Code,

I have read the book more than once and seen the movie. To me the movie
really sucked. Its more like Opie directed it not Ron Howard. Alot was added
for excitement sake and action. there are a few fights added IMO just to add violence.

There is a lot left out that I felt was important, even critical to the story. there are even character "facts "added to the movie.

Tom Hanks just did not carry the part of Robert langdon well. IMO it is probably
one of if not the worst he has done. The Fauche character bombed. The only character in the movie that I thought was well cast and played was Sophie.

Having not read the book in this case might be a good thing for you when you see the movie.

Queen,I thought you could start with any number in a
fibonacci sequence?

The fibonacci sequence was/is actually the answer to a riddle from the 13th century
i think. something about breeding rabbits.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix

Originally posted by madhatter
I found it to be a great read. Everything you could want in a conspiracy related novel.
I'd highly recommend you go and get it and read it for yourself.

If your wondering about the so called controversy surrounding the book, it's an attack on christianity etc: you may want to Read this from Dan Brown Himself

enjoy the book

???????????What read what more lies??????????? Will that help?

Did you even read the link provided?? It's a novel, a work of fiction, nothing more nothing less.

Apologies to the original poster for going off topic a little.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix

I found it to be a great read. Everything you could want in a conspiracy related novel.
I'd highly recommend you go and get it and read it for yourself.

If your wondering about the so called controversy surrounding the book, it's an attack on christianity etc: you may want to Read this from Dan Brown Himself

enjoy the book

???????????What read what more lies??????????? Will that help?

Did you even read the link provided?? It's a novel, a work of fiction, nothing more nothing less.

Apologies to the original poster for going off topic a little.

Please...Please........Don't make me laugh. I could tear this book apart with facts. Yes I read the Link, DID YOU? Your probably read the link but lkie I said, "What read more lie", It all went right past you.

Let's look at his comment

If you read the "FACT" page, you will see it clearly states that the documents, rituals, organization, artwork, and architecture in the novel all exist. The "FACT" page makes no statement whatsoever about any of the ancient theories discussed by fictional characters. Interpreting those ideas is left to the reader.

Let's look at the fact page.

1)The Priory of Sion--a European cectet society founded in in 1099--is a real organization.
It's a LIE

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. It has been characterized as anything from the most influential secret society in Western history to a modern Rosicrucian-esque ludibrium, but, ultimately, has been shown to be a hoax created in 1956 by Pierre Plantard, a pretender to the French throne. The evidence presented in support of its historical existence has not been considered authentic or persuasive by established historians, academics, and universities, and the evidence was later discovered to have been forged and then planted in various locations around France by Plantard and his associates. Nevertheless, many conspiracy theorists insist on the truth of the Priory's role as a powerful secret society. [1]
en.wikipedia.org...

2)In 1975 Paris's Bibleitheque Nationale discovered parchments known as Les Dossiers Secrets, identifying numerous members of the Priory of Sion, including Sir Isaac Newton, Botticelli, Bictor Hugo, and Leonardo Da Vinci
It's a LIE SAME LINK.

Forged documents Le Tresor Maudit de Rennes-le-Chateau, 1967In order to give credibility to the fabricated lineage and pedigree, Plantard and his friend Philippe de Cherisey needed to create "independent evidence." So during the 1960s, they deposited a series of forged documents, the so-called Dossiers Secrets d'Henri Lobineau or "Secret Dossiers of Henri Lobineau," at the Bibliothèque nationale de France, in Paris. Also in the 1960s, Plantard began writing a manuscript and had a series of "medieval parchments" forged by de Cherisey which contained encrypted messages that referred to the Priory of Sion. The story that they concocted claimed that Father Bérenger Saunière had supposedly discovered these seemingly ancient parchments inside of a pillar while renovating his church in Rennes-le-Château in 1891. The story and existence of the parchments was intended to prove Plantard's claims about the Priory of Sion being a medieval society.

Plantard then enlisted the aid of author Gérard de Sède to write a book based on Plantard's manuscript and forged parchments, alleging that Sauniere had discovered a link to a hidden treasure. The 1967 book, entitled L'Or de Rennes (The Gold of Rennes) and Le Tresor Maudit de Rennes-le-Chateau (The Accursed Treasure of Rennes Castle), became a popular read in France. It included copies of the "found" documents (the originals were of course never produced), though it provided them without any kind of translation. One of the documents was discovered to have been a reproduction of a Latin version of the Novum Testamentum (New Testament), known as the Vulgate. These versions can be precisely dated based on the wording being used, which show that the version in the book was from an edition published in 1889 -- problematic considering that the book was trying to make a case that these documents were centuries old.

3) All descriptions of artwook, architecture, documents and secret rituals in this novel are accurate.

PROVEN TO BE A LIE. All part of the plan to keep you in blindness.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I have just finished reading it. I thought it was really good. A really good piece of fiction. NO ONE ever claims it to be fact. People like to say it's "a lie", but if that's the case, then every fiction book including Alice in Wonderland is "a lie".
It's just drama.

My husband is reading it and then we'll rent the movie. It's very interesting and as far as I know it could be true. That's why I like Dean Koontz. His stuff is fiction, but could almost be true.

[edit on 11-11-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
"The DaVinci Code" is okay I suppose.

At least it introduces people to Gnosis.

However, there are elements of Black Magic both within the book and the movie.

(See the top two threads of the following search):

ATS Search

Watch for the following Gnostic documentary(has been delayed, but should be out shortly):

www.gnosticvideos.org...

It explains the Christian Gnosis of Mary Magdalene and Daath explicitly; while Dan Brown was either ignorant of it, or was trying to hide things purposefully.

D.B. also failed to point out the significance of the Wet Path and the Dry Path depicted in the Gnostic Rosicrucian Leonardo DaVinci's Mona Lisa(which is only for Malachim and high level Bodhisattvas).

Regards

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 06:34 AM
link   

The Priory of Sion

In fact There was A Priory of Sion founded in 1099 and was in existance until at least
1400. Is this historical priory the same as or even connected with the Priory that is
said to exist today? There is no conclusive evidence one way or the other.
There is only the belief and faith of the individual. sound familiar?

Was Jeshua truely a King from the bloodline of David and Solomon? Did he marry
and establish a bloodline? Does that bloodline exist today? Again no conclusive evidence either way. A point to remember Jeshua had several brothers and sisters
all of whom would also be of the line of David and Solomon. If/When Jeshua died
the "crown" would pass to the next Male heir(Thomas the twin), Then James, Then Jude,
then Joses/Joseph, then the female female line( possibly the female line first as inheritance was and is passed through the female side, this also gives validity to the
theory that the Davidic line came to Jeshua through both Josef and Miriam) and also that Miriam was not just a proper name but a title.

posted on Nov, 13 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by greywolf1

The Priory of Sion

Is this historical priory the same as or even connected with the Priory that is
said to exist today?

Nope. The Priory of Sion that exists today is an ideal concocted in the head of Pierre de Planchard. It doesn't exist.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Nope. The Priory of Sion that exists today is an ideal concocted in the head of Pierre de Planchard. It doesn't exist.

So says the "media and government records". And we all know that the media would never print an untruth. Nor would any Government or representative there of ever
alter records , provide forged accounts, or do anything unlawful or decietful to futher
their own ambitions right?

Really it's OK, I'm a Priest.

And BTW it's Plantard not Planchard. or more precisely Plantard de St. Clair/e

Did you miss this part?

There is no conclusive evidence one way or the other.

As I indicated (and you may have missed, ) it is a matter of FAITH AND BELIEF

[edit on 14-11-2006 by greywolf1]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by greywolf1

Really it's OK, I'm a Priest.

Greywolf,you're a priest? I suspect that you know of some of the things the church is hiding then,huh?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join