It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the Governments 'official' reasons for not encouraging the usage of Hemp?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I was wondering what excuse can the governments of the world come up with for not using a cost effective, biodegradable and versatile source such as hemp which can be used for paper, clothes and even fuel??

[edit on 25-10-2006 by g60kg]

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   
The question I want answering is why a plant that I do enjoy the company of is at this moment in time being cracked down on by the UK government and other things like coc aine, heroine and the harder drugs are being allowed to be transported from country to country and sold on the streets ruining lives.

I for one think that the reasons are related to the amount of money collected, behind the scenes, in letting this happen. There must be no money left in the sale of marijuana for the government therefore they are being seen to crack down on it. Whilst this crack down takes place the transportation and sale of harder drugs, the ones that actually ruin lives, continues and makes probably millions of pounds / dollars that our government is using on other projects. Where else can they get the money from for black projects? Think about Vietnam and what drugs are transprted from there. Afghanistan and the drugs that are transproted from there. In actual fact it is well known in the UK that most of the heroine on our streets comes from Afghanistan.

If you want a government to do something useful you must first wait for them to come up with every excuse under the sun not to do it, milk the population for everything they have and then actually turn around and do it stating that "that's what they've always wanted to do".

A good example is the use of marijuana for arthritis (sp sorry) patients and other disorders of that nature. First of all the govenrment denied the use for medicinal puposes and time went by until it was excepted but only in certain circumstances for certain people.

I don't mean to sound like your typical "free the weed" hippy as I'm not. I think that most drugs, especially coc aine and heroine as they need wiping of the face of the earth and including alcohol and cigs, should be banned. There are few pleasures in life but a lot more than getting drunk, sticking needles in your arm, white powder up your nose changing your personality and stinking of cigs.

Maybe I shoudl get a hobby????

Remirah.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Remirah
I for one think that the reasons are related to the amount of money collected, behind the scenes, in letting this happen.

Remirah.

I agree with you totally I think this is the biggest reason if not the only, whoever said that money doesnt make the world go round LIED!

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   
g60kg thanks mate.

Money makes people do whatever the people with money want them too.

Let's put this into perspective for a minute.......

We have killer dieases right now. Wether they are natural or manufactured doesnt matter for this point. What we do need to consider is that the cures must be here as well. But........ what does man do? Deplete the resourses by cutting sh*t down left right and centre reducing the chances of finding natural cures. We're probably doing ourselves a massive injustice and in all fairness hindering our chances at finding cures as quickly because we have to start from scatch each time something new comes a long.

I for one believe that certain cancers and AIDS are manufactured and that certain governments hold the cure but due to the ever expanding population, they hold this back.

Who wants to live forever?

Remirah.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I also believe certain deseases are manufactured, the american government has been experimenting on their own citizens since the 1930s see below

www.cnn.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Thanks for that. To be honest I've read many threads regarding governments testing things on their own. Sick to be honest. What happened to rubbing *snip* in a rabbits eyes? JOKE PLEASE DON'T THINK I'M SOME SICKO!!!!!

In all honesty I think we need to sit back, relax, maybe smoke a joint and then start to discuss things.

All this hostility in the middle east could be resolved if people put aside thier differences just to listen to others. But no, why should we be reasonable and listen to others? I also think that some of these leaders are only children and kick and scream just like they did when they were kids until they get what they want. If I had my way I woudl bear their arse and spank it hard infront of their mates to embarras them. Spoilt bastards i reckon.

I also have a theory that in these hot countries the sun beating down on them sends them a bit mad and not inclined to think straight. All these crazy leaders are in the hot countries. Besides Bush.

Remirah.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25-10-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Look into the history of Dupont in the 1930s for your answer.

second sentence

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I cant believe one company can have such a dramatic effect on a government, but what is the excuse for the rest of the world? did Dupont get to them too or did they just leave the US Govt to do their dirty work for them?

Dupont established itself as the world leader in synthetic fibres, with such new inventions as Nylon and Raylon, with the aid of the global outlawing of one of the most useful natural fibres, hemp. This was achieved in the US by the1937 Marijuana Transfer (Tax) Act, which was passed in the same year DuPont patented both nylon and the polluting wood-pulp sulfide (sulfur dioxide) process used to make paper. The Act was the result of political pressure and a sustained propaganda campaign by du Pont and logging and oil companies.
Americans were familiar with hemp, which was widely grown and used as fibre, oil and paper, the propagandists began circulating stories of the dangers of the drug "Marijuana". Marijuana was the Mexican word for cannabis used for it's racist conations and as an excuse to prohibit hemp, despite the fact that hemp cultivated as a fibre crop is a strain that contains less than thirtieth of the amounts of psychoactive compounds than cannabis bred for it's high
Hemp produces four times as much paper as trees and does not require the sulfur-based acid chemicals used to break down the glue-like lignin that binds the fibers of wood pulp. Hemp would be a much less damaging way of making many of du Pont's products, but without them profiting, as this plant grows easily without chemicals and could not be patented. Back in 1935, more than 58,000 tons of hemp seed alone, were used just to make non-toxic paint paint and varnish

top topics

join