It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30'000$ stealth model crash video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
This is pretty cool..

A stealth RC model looses its canopy throwing all the aerodynamics out and crashes..

what i am wondering is that as i believe the real version can only fly with the computers controling it; does this model need a similar thing?

Perhaps one of our resident experts can tell me?

www.break.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Well I think the "pilot" managed to land the aircraft pretty well. It's not going to cost 30 000 $ to repare it. Just some scratches.

To your question I don't think so. Yes it wasn't so stabile, but the real plane has much more complex functions that the model and it's easier to fly it that way. I'am not even sure if the real plane needs computer for flying, only navigating, since it doens't have a radar.

[edit on 2-10-2006 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
How does that thing even fly? Arent the real F117s fly by wire since the shape is un aerodynamic and the computer does all the flying by constantly making adjustments to control surfaces and what not.

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Yep, the real F117 is completely dependant on computers to maintain stability. Without fly-by-wire it wouldn't have been possible.

Re the model - although fly by wire is feasible (there are small UAVs that are FBW), this model wouldn't be so the chances are they cheated on the aerodynamics and used conventional wing shapes, albeit sharply swept.

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I'm amazed it stays aloft at all... they got a "Hopeless Diamond" to fly really well without FBW. There's a much more spectacular crash of an RC B-52 somewhere on the net saw it a couple months back... all those motors... all the work... smashy-smashy and it sets the woods it crashes in on fire too... thing was huge.

Thanx that was fun to watch, maybe F-117's don't need FBW as much as previously thought? That thing seemed pretty stable.

Victor K.

40'

new topics

top topics

join