It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stab Victim Ignored so Cop can Dump Parapalegic Out of Wheelchair

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I love these stories. Doesn't it just make you feel warm and fuzzy inside to know guys like this are on the payroll?

Link

A paraplegic man was pulled from his wheelchair by Peel police, dragged to a cruiser and charged with causing a disturbance because he had urged them to help a stabbing victim, a court heard yesterday.

"It was very violent," recalled Stephen Miller, who witnessed the chaotic scene from just a few metres away as he tended to the victim by applying pressure to the stab wound.

Moments later, Miller said, he too was yanked away from the victim, an old high school friend, pulled into a cruiser and charged with the same offence.

My favorite part...

Mannings, along with some of the other building residents, yelled at Sandilands to do something, but the officer simply replied, "Oh well, if he dies, he dies," Miller testified.

Obviously not to be taken as gospel, but if you've known a few bad cops you'll know just how plausible this whole scenario really is.

There has to be a way to keep people like this out of uniform. More thorough psychological testing, additional reviews, more difficult hiring exams..something.

We, as a country, can't afford to have people like this protecting us. We'd be better off unprotected, saving a bunch of money...

:shk:

(Edit: I'm a putz. I thought this took place somewhere else. Anyway, it doesn't change much. Different countries, same problem. Thanks very much for pointing that out though Intrepid. I was thinking of moving this to US News Discussion, but now I definitely can't.
)

[edit on 26-9-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
What a sick world we live in I guess nobody cares anymore.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   

There has to be a way to keep people like this out of uniform. More thorough psychological testing, additional reviews, more difficult hiring exams..something.

Definately. These days the only pre-req is you have to be 21yo with a stateside license. Imo, there should be thorough background checks, some type of psych testing and more strict punishments for officers that do things like this...if this story true. But either way you get the point.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
... this is the Peel police dept., that's part of the GTA. Greater Toronto Area, thus not in the States. This is the same force that is being investigated for assaulting two men for videotaping an off hours party involving siezed booze. Another week, another scandal. The province or Fed gov't is going to have to do something about this corrupt force.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Now don't go painting the entire force with the same brush. I know an officer on the Peel force, and he is an outstanding person and police officer. There are bad apples on every force, just like there are bad apples in EVERY type of job, but you can't say all police are bad because of that.

By the way, at least in Canada, you need FAR more than to be 21 with a valid drivers lisence. It's quite hard to become a police officer or fireman here. Years of schooling and training.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I concur with Sensfan- Peel, while a little skanky sometimes, generally has good officers. When I was in college, I was taught by three of them. All of them were generally excellent people.

Still, there's something off about that force. They have a helicopter, when even 52 doesn't.

DE

top topics

join