It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio establishes "Pre-Crime" registry w/o a conviction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
This is just discusting and just proves to me that the politicians who sponsored this bill are literally insane to even consider this "law."

www.toledoblade.com.../20060829/NEWS24/608290360/-1/NEWS

A recently enacted law allows county prosecutors, the state attorney general, or, as a last resort, alleged victims to ask judges to civilly declare someone to be a sex offender even when there has been no criminal verdict or successful lawsuit. The rules spell out how the untried process would work. It would largely treat a person placed on the civil registry the same way a convicted sex offender is treated under Ohio's so-called Megan's Law.

Wait, it gets better.....

No one in attendance voiced opposition to rules submitted by Attorney General Jim Petro's office to the Joint Committee on Agency Rule Review, consisting of members of the Ohio House and Senate.

So no one had any problems with this grossly unconstitutional law.... typical of Ohio considering what happened there in '04...

The concept was offered by Roman Catholic bishops as an alternative to opening a one-time window for the filing of civil lawsuits alleging child sexual abuse that occurred as long as 35 years ago.

Oh great! It's a law thought up by fundies trying to protect their sick "bretherin" from full justice.

Wait, here is the punchline...

The person's name, address, and photograph would be placed on a new Internet database and the person would be subjected to the same registration and community notification requirements and restrictions on where he could live.

A civilly declared offender, however, could petition the court to have the person's name removed from the new list after six years if there have been no new problems and the judge believes the person is unlikely to abuse again.

I guess this is yet another case of "if you got nothing to hide punk, then you should even worry about getting on this list..." never mind that even an accusation can get you on this list and ruin your life......

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
That's kind of nuts - have someone you don't like?! Tell them you saw him touch a kid! Don't jump the gun just yet though, it was just a legislative panel that okayed the idea, not the state legislature or governor.

Just remember John Anderton, you must find the minority report!

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
The salem witch hunts ended when a very shrewd lady accused the governers wife of being a witch. the hangings ended immediately.

Accuse the governer of being a child molestor...accuse the DA...see how fast this idiotic law gets suspended

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
What bothers me the most is that there was little to no debate or resistance according to the article. I know that this law will probably NOT last long, but it still doesn't sit right with me.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 01:28 AM
link   
New Mexico keeps a file on everyone who has had an investigation regarding child abuse. It never goes away.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
New Mexico keeps a file on everyone who has had an investigation regarding child abuse. It never goes away.

But is it searchable on the net by the general public? This plan I believe will allow that to happen.

There is a difference between keeping a file on people who are currently being investigate or have been investigate and this methinks.

[edit on 4-9-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 01:46 AM
link   
No, it isn't on the internet.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Link

Even though those killed were convicted, it gives a good snapshot at what the consequences of such a law could entail... if the information is available to the general public, that is...

[edit on 4-9-2006 by sardion2000]

[Mod Edit: Trimmed Link - Jak]

[edit on 4/9/06 by JAK]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   

At the Chinese restaurant where Marshall worked, people remembered a "quiet kind of a fellow," in the words of co-worker Holly Tizzard.

www.ctv.ca

Now, isn't that always the case. I'll bet he was a loner, too.

[edit on 2006/9/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

At the Chinese restaurant where Marshall worked, people remembered a "quiet kind of a fellow," in the words of co-worker Holly Tizzard.

www.ctv.ca

Now, isn't that always the case. I'll bet he was a loner, too.

[edit on 2006/9/4 by GradyPhilpott]

This kid was probably molested as a youngster, couldn't handle what was going on in his head, and decided to take a couple with him.

Back to the 'law' in question. This is exactly the kind of thing we should expect to increase as we move away from the constitution and toward globalism. There will be ever more ways for the powers that be to force you into obedience, and ever fewer ways for you to resist them.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
SImple Answer!

If you live in Ohio, have a private meeting with one of the politicians that wrote/passed the law. Then run straight to the Police and file a complaint!

While you're at it, be sure to register ALL of the Catholic Bishops, Cardinals and Priests so that they are hoisted on their own petard.

[edit on 4-9-2006 by 2stepsfromtop]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
E gads, what are they thinking to even bring this up? This "civil registery" is not a bridal registry! This sop from the Catholic Church will affect more than their cases. Is the "minority report" next? Keeping a file on accusations is one thing (ala NM), but an online civil registery...
Well, maybe Ohio can begin a new manufacturing venture--stocks and tall platforms for public viewing of criminals...cultered stones for stoning adulterers and heretics...

top topics

join