It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grasshopper swarm leaves 11 dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Eleven people died and thousands were taken to hospital with breathing difficulties after a swarm of grasshoppers invaded a town in central Sudan.

See the rest of the article at the following url

www.smh.com.au...

The article states that the grasshoppers gave off a strong smell which caused breathing problems. I find this strange. We get locusts, crickets, and even the smaller grasshoppers here in the desert and they've never gave off a strong smell. The big black beetles give off a strong smell if bothered. (the scent is similiar to male cat urine) Also the vinegaroon (related to the scorpian gives off a scent of vinegar when threatened)) This is a protective mechanism and is actually sprayed into face of an attacker (like a coyote). However, these insects only use this defense when their life is in danger. That's why I find the behavior of the grasshoppers in the article strange to say the least. What's causing them to be giving off such a pungent smell causing asthma like symptoms in humans.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Maybe they were a cross between stinkbugs and grasshoppers......
I'm beginning to think X-files here....but instead of bees, they be using grasshoppers with massive odors.

regards
seekerof

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 10:14 PM
link   
hmmm...very good thought Seekerof. could be.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 10:20 PM
link   

what's causing them to be giving off such a pungent smell causing asthma like symptoms in humans.

What kinds of toxins might inflict massive respiratory damage in a short period of time?

How often do these toxins occur in nature, in that part of the world?

I think it is obvious what is happening with this report. Read between the lines so to speak.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 10:31 PM
link   
olfactory chemical defences are not unknown in some grasshopper species. swarm conditions are generally climatically related. nothing that wyrd going on here; definately an extereme case, but totally within natural parameters.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Could it be their government sprayed the grasshoppers.....thus causing human illness MKULTRA.

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Maybe they were a cross between stinkbugs and grasshoppers......
I'm beginning to think X-files here....but instead of bees, they be using grasshoppers with massive odors.

regards
seekerof

Yeah! I remember that episode, although I only watched half of it. It's where they have all these killer bees and they, um, kill all these people.
It is pretty scary though, especially if it involves africanized honeybees.

This incident reminds me of a video i saw on the sci fi channel.

www.scifi.com...

top topics

join