It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Persistent childhood dream

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I've dreamed a dream on and off since I was a kid. Much more so when I was younger, but even now probably once a year.

I dream that I am floating under water, and that suddenly I become conscious that I am breathing underwater. The water is very clear and filled with light, as if I was swimming in a swimming pool. I am able to do all sorts of maneuvers and somersaults under the water, and just enjoy being able to breathe under the water.

That's about it. It's a very pleasant dream, and I only wish that I had them more often now than I did when I was a kid. Any thoughts on the possible symbolism of this dream, if any?

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
You shouldn't really think of self suddenly shutting off, so to speak, when sleeping, but much rather consider dreams to be apart of you just like your lungs etc. Your dream simply means that you're very comfortable with your soul in a way that you probably aren't as materialistic as most people. Relaxation hardly comes easy for people these days as such to embrace freedom for what it's worth is something to cherish and is something that we all should do rather than take life too seriously.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   
You didn't have a near drowning experience as a small child did you?

[edit on 8/18/2006 by jensouth31]

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by risitar
You shouldn't really think of self suddenly shutting off, so to speak, when sleeping, but much rather consider dreams to be apart of you just like your lungs etc. Your dream simply means that you're very comfortable with your soul in a way that you probably aren't as materialistic as most people. Relaxation hardly comes easy for people these days as such to embrace freedom for what it's worth is something to cherish and is something that we all should do rather than take life too seriously.

Thanks for your input risitar. I'm not sure I'm less materialistic than the average American, but I really like your idea that our dreaming life is just a natural extension of our whole life, rather than just an appendage to it.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jensouth31
You didn't have a near drowning experience as a small child did you?

[edit on 8/18/2006 by jensouth31]

Hi jensouth31,

No near drowning experience that I can remember. My parents were pretty adamant my sister and I received good Red Cross swimming lessons from an early age, and have become really strong swimmers since. I've been reading in other places about how water is often a symbol for our emotional lives, but can't quite figure out what the water in my dream may represent. That I'm happy with my emotions? That they're clear?

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Thanks for the U2U.

Very interesting.

My first take on it, before I even go look up symbolism for you, is that this is a dream of being in the womb. Water, free motion, comfort and peace.

As far as symbolism goes, swimming in water can mean that you are exploring things in your subconscious mind and emotions. It apparently is a common dream for people going through therapy. It may signify that you are looking for some sort of emotional support.

Swimming underwater can mean that you are completely submerged within your own feelings, and forcing yourself to deal with emotional difficulties.

Water almost always signifies emotions and the unconscious. It also can stand for spirituality, healing, refreshment and knowledge. Your finding this to be a soothing dream perhaps means that you are at peace within yourself.

Funnily enough, now that I've gone and checked my dream dictionary, breathing underwater indeed represents a retreat back to the womb. You could be submerged in your emotions, or may be feeling helpless or wish to return to a time when you had no responsibilities.

Since this is a soothing dream and not one that stirs up any negative emotions, I tend to think it may be memories of the womb, as I said in the opening, but the other symbols could have some bearing on it as well.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Thanks MM for your insight. I don't think I've had the dream since I posted that. It's unfortunate it comes by so rarely these day.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This is in response to Toromos's previous question on OBE'S. You had a couple of responses from others suggesting your "floating dreams" were either an obe or directly connected to sleep paralysis. However most obes are directly related to sleep paralysis. I know you have researched sleep paralysis and probably found out its most common exsperiences, inability to move limbs, the sudden strength in your amygdala (the part of your brain controlling fear) causing illusions and halutionations, and your exsperience of the OBE. I do not believe you have sleep paralysis, sleep paralysis is most common with the condition naracalypsy, however is know to occur to those without narcalypsy, said to be alien abductions and visits of demonic forces. I belief your obe's are directly related to your REM sleep. Just as sleep paralysis accurs with post or pre dormital, obes can occur aswell between post and pre dormital. As you probably know REM stands for Random eye movement, the fifth stage of sleep. However it suggested that sleep was not, as it was thought to be, a dormant state but rather a mentally dynamic one. Your brain is, in fact, very active in this state, almost to the level at which it is when a person is awake. Yet during this active stage in which most dreams occur, the movements of the rest of the body are completely stilled. Due to a chemical called GHB. To imagine this paralysis during dreams not occurring is a frightful image, since in many cases dreams are violent and active. But to answer the floating phenomenom is due the Nuerotransmitters that controll the movement of the body from the cerebellum. These transmitters aswell can be just as active during this REM, aswell as half or fully awake mind. The exsperince you feel is not in fact you floating above the room, or your energy surging from your body. It is simply your active Nuerotransmitters giving you the sensation of moving up down and spinning as you mentioned, aswell as slight controll of these motions. A great site to visit to answer any questions serendip.brynmawr.edu... I hope i could be of some help. jack

top topics

join