It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baghdad O'clock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Please could anyone explain to me why altering my Account Settings in Member Center would automatically revert me to Baghdad time?

Supas!

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
It's a conspiracy. I've been saying this for over a year. Back in 2005, they didn't even have Tokyo time as an option. The GMT just skipped it (-12:00, -10:00, -9:00, etc). They now have the hour, but no city listed.

It's a conspiracy man...something about Tokyo.

Probably the ALIENS.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I don't have that problem. In fact, it has only been recently that changing settings didn't change the time setting to Kwajalien.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I have not been on the right time zone since i joined. I think its an unfixable glitch
but we learn to live with it.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Yeah I agree with Grady, until recently any change would automatically send me to GMT -12:00 Kwajalien time. But now it stays on GMT -5:00 EST.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
My time is correct to within about a minute or so. Certainly, close enough for board purposes. In fact I am going to post this entry at exactly 1255 MDT. We'll see what it says.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
it is just a pain to remember to reconfigure it everytime I adjust my settings.

If I forget,it really does not have much of an impact other that a niggle when I see the time incorrectly that forces my anal retentive behaviour to kick in and make me change it..

Perhaps I am nitpicking a little. G

reat site, if that is all that is the matter... who could complain with the trivial.

Just interested as to why this might occur?

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Well, there it is. Using a clock that is referenced to WWV, I posted at exactly 1255 as you can see, it reads 1257. Not perfect, but close.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Grady, yes it is a few minutes off; I have my watch timed to the US Atomic Clock in Colorado. I check it once a month and reset it because it takes up to a month for my watch to go one or two seconds off. Maybe I’m pushing it but I’ve always had a thing for precise time.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I'm on Baghdad time too, though it was something else a few days ago.

Rather than try to change it again, I think this time I'll just move to Baghdad and let it be.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by chebob
Rather than try to change it again, I think this time I'll just move to Baghdad and let it be.

Maybe this is the new government conspiracy to warn us of an impending draft?

I don't have this problem myself, so I wonder if it is just a browser glitch? I wouldn't move to Baghdad right now if I were you.

*Edit - Good Idea, Mechanic, and welcome back

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6

[edit on 8/4/06 by niteboy82]

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
My settings stay at GMT -6:00

Perhaps they want to keep you up to date with the ongoings in Iraq?? lol

Or perhaps just another wonderful glitch in the matrix.

Seriously though, what browsers are the members using, that their time resets to other than the desired time??

That information might help S. O. track down the bug that causes it.

I use Firefox, and all is well with me here, regarding the time in settings.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Maybe I’m pushing it but I’ve always had a thing for precise time.

Me, too, WestPoint. I'm not as compulsive about my watches now that I wear analog, but when I had digital watches, I set them almost everyday. Casios, in those days, gained about .5 seconds everyday, so even if I couldn't get to a WWV source, I could adjust the time by knowing the date and time I last referenced WWV. That's pretty bad, isn't it. With the analog watches, imprecision is less noticeable, so I set them when the difference is obvious.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Creeping Jesus
it is just a pain to remember to reconfigure it everytime I adjust my settings.

Try making the time adjustment the first thing you do when you go into account settings. That's what I used to do and it was a very effective method.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Grady, my watch has a dual digital and analogue display mechanism; the digital time is on average 2 seconds faster than my analogue one. But they are pretty consistent and precise, it usually takes about a month for the difference between them to be noticeable, at which time I reset both of them to the US Atomic Clock. I did this every month to all my house clocks too but I stopped the practice some time ago and now I only reset them to the US Atomic Clock standard twice a year when Daylight Savings comes around. I even downloaded a program (Atom Time Pro), it automatically adjusts my computers time with that of the USNO in Washington every time I start my computer. I guess I’m a bit of a time freak, I can’t understand people who purposely set their watch either a few minutes forward or back, that would just never happen with me.

PS: Don’t get me started on alarms.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I guess I’m a bit of a time freak, I can’t understand people who purposely set their watch either a few minutes forward or back, that would just never happen with me.

Me, either. The new automatically setting clocks, often misnamed "atomic clocks" have made my pathology much easier to live with. I have four of them in my one bedroom apartment. To me, that's peace of mind.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   
No such problems for me, though I use to have them.
It use to just default me to -5GMT.
Works fine for me now though, stays on the right
setting (-8GGMT).
Maybe it's a setting in the browser.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Me, either. The new automatically setting clocks, often misnamed "atomic clocks" have made my pathology much easier to live with. I have four of them in my one bedroom apartment. To me, that's peace of mind.

Hmm... I might have to check those out sometime, like you I also have multiple time sources in my room (7 in all), and no matter what I’m doing a clock is always visible, that is indeed peace of mind.

[edit on 4-8-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Here's an example:

www.walmart.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Thanks for that Grady, they offer the date and temperature too, always a plus in my book. And this would do the work for me since I manually update my clocks to the US Atomic Clock standard, this does it automatically. I think I’m going to buy about five of these this weekend. Thanks again.

new topics

top topics

join