It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***ATTENTION*** DO NOT PARTICIPATE in the "REVISED" Thefinalanswertoeverything.com FAKE game

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
We have just learned that someone has convinced some Members to alter the settings of their browsers to play what appears to be but most certainly IS NOT a genuine "ATS Brand Game".

DO NOT ALTER YOUR HOST SETTINGS - THIS GAME IS NOT PRODUCED BY ATS OR SANCTIONED BY ATS.

It is unfortunate that people could be confused into resetting their browsers for ANY REASON.

We, the "Three Amigos" assure you ALL we would NEVER create a game that required you to limit or diminish the security of your browser. We simply don't get involved with cheap tricks of that nature and STRONGLY ADVISE our Members to NEVER alter the settings in their browsers for ANY SITE.

Sincerely,

Simon Gray, SkepticOverlord and Springer...

Edit to add:

S.O. and I are VERY Upset and Hurt by this affront to what we have worked hard at creating and working to bring to everyone. The type of person who would do this is all too common on the web and the distinct representation if Humanity's FAILINGS, cheat and STEAL.

Springer...

[edit on 8-3-2006 by Springer]

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Just to clarify, is this a change to the origional site or, is this a copycat site with a very similar url?

I noticed the other thread called it "answertoeverything.com" where this one adds "thefinal" to the url.

[edit on 8/3/06 by redmage]

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I don't get this at all.....how in the world did they think this hoax would go unnoticed by ATS??
Something in my gut told me that changing the host file was....."not right". I almost made a post to point this out but I feared a backlash from the gamers for my comments. Instead, I stupidly changed my settings like a little lamb.....shame on me.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by redmage
Just to clarify, is this a change to the origional site or, is this a copycat site with a very similar url?

I noticed the other thread called it "answertoeverything.com" where this one adds "thefinal" to the url.

[edit on 8/3/06 by redmage]

That error was made by me typing while extremely angry that someone would do this. Obviously it's a tweak to the original domain that has sought to "phish" our Membership with by stealing and cheating...

The corrected domain name is now represented in the BB&Q thread as well.

Springer...

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Yea I feel like I am partially responsible because I should have known better. I let my eagerness for the game get in the way of my common sense. I do web stuff for a living and use a similar method sometimes ... I didn't even think of the fact that it could be used for evil as well. I should have posted not to do it. It just proves that no matter how much you think you know, you never know it all

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
That was me typing while extremely angry that someone would do this. Obviously it's a tweak to the original domain that has sought to "phish" our Membership with by stealing and cheating...

The anger is completely understandable, and shared.

Thanks a million for the update/announcement.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
whats was the fake phishing site

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Hey guys..I only ask you to PLEASE double check Mech32,s involvement in this..After working closely with him and a few other guys...

I really find it hard to believe that this was a malicious attempt on his part..I am definitely not webwise and I have no idea what harm these "changes ''would have brought but I feel in my ''heart of hearts'' that if Mech was involved then it was simply by being suckered in to the excitement for a possible new phase to the game..

I would not presume to question the mods expertise in these matters but please..if there is even a shadow of a doubt regarding motives, to please be lenient..

My humble request only.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
Hey guys..I only ask you to PLEASE double check Mech32,s involvement in this..After working closely with him and a few other guys...

I really find it hard to believe that this was a malicious attempt on his part..I am definitely not webwise and I have no idea what harm these "changes ''would have brought but I feel in my ''heart of hearts'' that if Mech was involved then it was simply by being suckered in to the excitement for a possible new phase to the game..

I would not presume to question the mods expertise in these matters but please..if there is even a shadow of a doubt regarding motives, to please be lenient..

My humble request only.

Considering you weren't in chat and shouldn't know anything about this, I'm assuming he's emailing members to bolster his support?

That's weird. He needs to realize that the facts will produce the outcome. And this may very well be one of the facts, right?

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Considering you weren't in chat and shouldn't know anything about this, I'm assuming he's emailing members to bolster his support?

That's weird. He needs to realize that the facts will produce the outcome. And this may very well be one of the facts, right?

I actually was in chat just as Springer and Skeptic overlord came online..But since I was running a divx update. my blimmin computer bluscreened before I got the full info.. And no HE DID NOT attempt to get support from me..I am just stating my opinion about working with him in VERY good spirits 24/7 for one week without any sign of alterior motives.

I,m just really confused about what has happened.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I'm sure it will be resolved soon, and try not to jump to any conclusions and/or go on a witch hunt.
It is understandable that people thought the game was continuing.
If the person whom made the 'new' game did it with ho harm intended i believe they should have known better. It at least for now sounds fishy O.o

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   

He was in another room along with Sil, who won the site. I just shared what I saw from my point of view (the same as in the chat with you and SO). I believe Mechanic 32 to be innocent as well, but as you said, wait until all the facts come in. I just hope that there's a way to find out who really did what ... conclusively.

EDIT: one other thing ... there are no other *KNOWN* consequences for members who did follow those instructions other than an IP phish, correct? I can't see anything else that would have happened, but then again I didn't think to look at the source code for that page at all.

[edit on 3-8-2006 by Fiverz]

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Without trying to be nosey on this, exactly what was being perpetrated?

Springer said that they were using the fake site to phish members? I don't really understand much of this web forum stuff, so can someone explain without all of the details?

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fiverz

He was in another room along with Sil, who won the site. I just shared what I saw from my point of view (the same as in the chat with you and SO). I believe Mechanic 32 to be innocent as well, but as you said, wait until all the facts come in. I just hope that there's a way to find out who really did what ... conclusively.

Cool! I just want to make sure my fellow members, who have been targetted on this thing, don't get pulled into further nastiness. I'm sure SO has the kung fu to figure out exactly who was zooming who, and that will be the final say.

I hope your computer didn't get creeping crud in it!

[edit on 8-3-2006 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freenrgy2
Without trying to be nosey on this, exactly what was being perpetrated?

Springer said that they were using the fake site to phish members? I don't really understand much of this web forum stuff, so can someone explain without all of the details?

Yeah me too if anyone can in laymans terms..I want to be able to watch out for futures scams of this type if only I knew exactly what scam it was.. thanks..

YOUR,S WEBDUMBLY..

[edit on 3-8-2006 by AGENT_T]

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fiverz

EDIT: one other thing ... there are no other *KNOWN* consequences for members who did follow those instructions other than an IP phish, correct? I can't see anything else that would have happened, but then again I didn't think to look at the source code for that page at all.

Cool! I just want to make sure my fellow members, who have been targetted on this thing, don't get pulled into further nastiness. I'm sure SO has the kung fu to figure out exactly who was zooming who, and that will be the final say.

I hope your computer didn't get creeping crud in it!

I don't know if you misunderstood, I was actually asking a question if there were any other consequences. From what I know I would think there isn't, but you never know. That's something that SO would know more than probably anyone else here.

SO > me in all things code

EDIT: maybe you quoted the wrong part of my post? ah geez all this excitement over the game and the letdown at the fraud has spent my head into a tailspin. No more posts for me until I wake up in 4 hours

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Yeah, I quoted the wrong part. I meant to capture your first paragraph, not your second.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll go back and edit it.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
well my questions still unanswered....what site was the fake

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Just didn't know if you all caught this-

This now on bonus.thefinalanswertoeverything.com
Sorry, bonus.thefinalanswertoeverything.com was a benign mini-hoax whipped up by me.

The question was: "keeps spinning in the mountains..."
The answer was: "testatika.html"

this lead to the following:
"Sorry guys, just couldn´t resist... Now let´s find the real game together!"

Unfortunatly it seems I´ve been banned over this, despite my eplanation to SO... :-(

Maybe Mechanic32 as well, but he shouldn´t be as he was not in on it.

Goodbye guys.. Stay skeptic.

HardToGet

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Mechanic should not be banned. Wrong place, wrong time. He was simply helping members access what was thought to be the next game. He had no idea it would turn out like this.

Thats all I feel the need to say on this subject. Unless the mods are privy to some sort of inside info, Mechanic should not be banned.

-Cut

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join