It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! I'm down and I can't get up.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
There have been many changes in my life recently. Now I am relocated and looking forward to participating in ATS again.

I am here, now, on a community computer, but I am trying to get connected on my personal computer using DSL.

What I did, I went to internet tools, clicked on options, on then on the window that gives the choice of delete cookies, delete files....I chose delete files. I have done this a million times, but this time I must have been wrong because although it seems that everything is still there, it stops at the Windows icon and can't seem to open Windows. I was not online when I did all the above. Does that make a difference?

I am using Windows 98, Second Edition. Pentium II MMX CPU at 233 MHz.

The error message is:

Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module Explorer.exe

Can someone help poor dumb me?

Mahree

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I had many problems but for what I can say reinstall your window. Try to backup the file you want to keep. I suggest you install Window XP Microsoft is not supporting that software you using anymore I think I'm not sure.

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I hope this will help

support.microsoft.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Wait I got it go to Set Program Access and Defaults then you go to Choose a Defaults Browser put a check in Enable access to this program if that doesn't work you have to do what I said before.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Thanks to El Che and makeitso for the replies to my request for help. It is difficult to get time on this community computer so that is the reason it has taken me so long to reply.

makeitso....I did go to your link and followed instructions listed there right up to the part where add/remove programs was supposed to come up. What came up was install/uninstall which could have been ok except there was nothing in there. So....does that mean I need to re install Windows 98, 2nd edition?

I have my CD for Windows 98, 2nd edition, but can't seem to find how to load it.
I have tried to change drives to the D drive, and it shows D:\ but nothing happens.

Any more suggestions?

Mahree

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The reason I said that is because window is not supporting windows 98 anymore here the link

www.microsoft.com...

Yeah I think so sadly just back up ever thing you want and then get Window XP Service Pack 2. Or reinstall windows 98 if you don't want to spend any money.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by El Che

Yeah I think so sadly just back up ever thing you want and then get Window XP Service Pack 2. Or reinstall windows 98 if you don't want to spend any money.

Thanks El Che,

I was aware of microsoft not supporting 98 any longer. I do need to stay with 98 because of the money involved at this time.

I do have the Windows 98 2nd Edition CD. I would like to reinstall it, but I don't know what the command is. When I moved many of my computer materials were lost. I cannot back up anything at this point. What I need to do is reinstall.....I think.

Mahree

[edit on 7/25/2006 by Mahree]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I got some master code hope they help

Here it is:

XBJ73-XHY4P-BYWC3-87JD2-XM3P6

JWV8W-6HPRR-3847B-Y8GXT-TGXB3

QMKY3-FB3TW-YR6KM-BG48K-YR4BW

D633P-FJRCT-GPWCJ-GK89D-K8TGW

Those are just some if those don't work I got more for you if you need it.

[edit on 25-7-2006 by El Che]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Here it is:

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

[snip]

Hey... Pssst... El Che... Come closer... ***Whispers*** You know it's illegal to give out/share licence and registration codes...? Although it's Windows 98, so I don't think anyone is going to care...

@Mahree
(I can't remember much from the Win98 platform, but it should work something like this

When you insert the Windows 98 CD, it should start the setup by itself. You then choose the option to reinstall.

BUT
You said that you couldn’t even start windows, right? SO that's not going to be of any help. The question is if your Windows 98 CD is a bootable CD... It should be. If it is, then you must change the boot sequence so that the PC first try to boot from the CD ROM, then the Floppy/stiffy drive, then from the Harddrive. You can change the BIOS setup when your PC starts up... It's usually the DEL key or the F1/F2 key that gives you access to the BIOS setup. There should be a message that tells you what key to press to enter the BIOS setup.
Look for the Boot sequence settings and change it to the order I wrote above, then save and exit.
Make sure the CD is in the drive as you reboot again.
Then check for any messages that ask you if it's OK to boot from the CD.

If the CD is not a bootable disk, then it'll say "Non System Disk - Please check" or something like that.
This means that you need to make a bootable disk. You can do this on another PC with Windows 98 on it. Format a Stiffy as a System disk.

Insert this System Disk (the one you just created) into YOUR PC and start it again. It should boot from the Stiffy - if it were done correctly.

After the boot you'll be left with a command prompt that looks like this:
C:\
or even
A:\
Type:
D:
Then setup.exe

Let us know if that did the thing...?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 07:45 AM
link   
But lets back up for a moment...

The error message is:

Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module Explorer.exe

Invalid Page Faults are memory-behavior errors. They can be caused by too little RAM; damaged RAM; mismatched RAM; too little free hard drive space in the partition housing the swap file; poor memory management choices by the user; overheating; or (most commonly) programming errors.

Some of the links for the explorer error in the article above leads to these Microsoft Knowledge base articles:

support.microsoft.com...
support.microsoft.com...
support.microsoft.com...
support.microsoft.com...

If this does not help, before you reinstall 98, try this:

Scanreg.exe /restore. This gives you the option to restore the registry to 4 previous (hopefully good) registry backups.

More Reference:

support.microsoft.com...
NOTE: To use the Windows Registry Checker tool with the /restore parameter, you must run the tool from a command prompt running outside of Windows. When you do so, you can choose up to five registry backup files listed for you to restore.

www.google.com...

However, if you feel you must reinstall Win 98 the following may be helpful.

www.windowsreinstall.com...

www.windows98.windowsreinstall.com...

Best of Luck

[edit on 7/26/06 by makeitso]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I thought I should pass on a U2U that I got from Mahree. It appears that the scanreg.exe /restore worked and the pc is recovered.

Congrats Mahree! We hope to see you posting from your own pc soon!

I am glad it helped. See you soon.
makeitso

[edit on 7/26/06 by makeitso]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf

Here it is:

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

[snip]

Hey... Pssst... El Che... Come closer... ***Whispers*** You know it's illegal to give out/share licence and registration codes...? Although it's Windows 98, so I don't think anyone is going to care...

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sorry.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Thank you all for your interest and suggestions.

Even though makeitso has let you know that I am up and running again, I wanted to thank you for myself.

I do intend to keep all of the suggestions from makeitso, Gemwolf and El che as reference material.

Gemwolf, you can relax about the "master code" from El Che, at least as far as I am concerned. It was way, way above my head.

It will take me awhile to get used to "dialup" again, but at least I am online from my own computer.

makeitso

Mahree

top topics

join