It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theories

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
This will be a thread about theories and the things you wonder about them.

We all know that as you approch the speed of light time slows down. So does time go infinetly fast when you totally stop moving?

Why do people say if the big crunch happens that everything will reverse. I really doubt that because there will still be normal movement only in a different direction.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   

So does time go infinitely fast when you totally stop moving?

Good question! But what is totally stopped? We are moving even if we are still, via the planets, solar system and galaxy moving themselves. Its all 'relative'.

Here's my mine:
Black holes are object with infinite mass. At what point does mass become so great, that it becomes infinite? It would start off heavy and suck things in via gravity and continue to grow, but it mass is still a number, just keeps getting bigger and bigger. What amount of mass does it take to punch a hole in space time and create a singularity? At what point does its density go from being a number, to infinite?

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toasty
Here's my mine:
Black holes are object with infinite mass. At what point does mass become so great, that it becomes infinite? It would start off heavy and suck things in via gravity and continue to grow, but it mass is still a number, just keeps getting bigger and bigger. What amount of mass does it take to punch a hole in space time and create a singularity? At what point does its density go from being a number, to infinite?

when two bits of mass occupy the same exact space. once the smallest building blocks are crammed so tightly that they overlap, that's when it becomes justified to call it "infinite mass".

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Are you sure it's infinite mass? Rather than infinite density? I thought the balck hole can only be as heavy as the stuff that goes into it, otherwise arn't you breaking the conservation of energy law?

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 06:17 AM
link   
see, now you got me all confused.

i think, however, that in a singularity, the laws of physics break down and are no longer applicable. rather than 'infinite' mass, i think a more appropriate term would be 'critical' mass, wherein the black hole will continue to collapse in upon itself with the more matter it 'eats', and the more massive it is, the larger its 'appetite'.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I don't think they have to have anything near inifinite mass, as 'they' reckon they can create mini black holes, which i believe they are going to do in the LHC in 2007.

It is speculated that, there are in space, Blackholes with masses more than 1 billion times the mass of our sun. Thats quite heavy lol.

as to tomcats original question, i have wondered this myself.

I also remember when they did the big crunch scenario in Red Dwarf - that was funny, but it was occuring in a parallel Universe. It would makes sense that time went back to 0, but i don't know if things will play in reverse.

Time is a concept i find hard to play with

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
infinite = neverending ?

if so infinite would not be the right word.. maybe maximum mass per cubic inch or something.. infinite does not sound very scientific

But then ive got no idea how dense these things can get.. maybe its different depending on the size of the blackhole... enough rambeling got to work

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
do NOT get me started on infinity and the implications inherent in the notion. i've given my math teachers nightmares with my rants on how idiotic every theory on infinity is.

and yes, it does exist. and no, i can't explain that, because i'm about to have an aneurysm thinking about how it's very existence negates itself.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toasty

Good question! But what is totally stopped? We are moving even if we are still, via the planets, solar system and galaxy moving themselves. Its all 'relative'.

Totally stopped would be the same as 0 kelvin no movement at all.

and what about the other question i asked? Can somebody answer that for me?

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Any possibility there are parallel universes, positive and negative, with a "sweet spot" between them: and a creatable door into the energy warp exists between matter and anti-matter?

Originally posted by Shakeyjc
I don't think they have to have anything near inifinite mass, as 'they' reckon they can create mini black holes, which i believe they are going to do in the LHC in 2007.

It is speculated that, there are in space, Blackholes with masses more than 1 billion times the mass of our sun. Thats quite heavy lol.

as to tomcats original question, i have wondered this myself.

I also remember when they did the big crunch scenario in Red Dwarf - that was funny, but it was occuring in a parallel Universe. It would makes sense that time went back to 0, but i don't know if things will play in reverse.

Time is a concept i find hard to play with

new topics

top topics

join