It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

bible codes, coincidence or warnings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Bible codes, also known as Torah codes, are words, phrases and clusters of words and phrases that some people believe are meaningful and exist intentionally in coded form in the text of the Bible. These codes were made famous by the book The Bible Code, which claims that these codes can predict the future. These claims are strongly doubted by skeptics and by many religious groups.

The primary method by which purportedly meaningful messages have been extracted is the Equidistant Letter Sequence (ELS). To obtain an ELS from a text, choose a starting point (in principle, any letter) and a skip number, also freely and possibly negative. Then, beginning at the starting point, select letters from the text at equal spacing as given by the skip number. For example, the bold letters in this sentence form an ELS from the word SAFEST. (The skip is -4. Spaces and punctuation are ignored.)

Often more than one ELS related to some topic can be displayed simultaneously in an ELS letter array. This is produced by writing out the text in a regular grid, with exactly the same number of letters in each line, then cutting out a rectangle.

below is a website that shows all major predictions from 2006-2012 it also explains some other elements of the bible codes.

www.exodus2006.com...

P.S. aren't these things a little TOO coincidental

[edit on 6-7-2006 by Ford Farmer]

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ford Farmer
These claims are strongly doubted by skeptics and by many religious groups.

I'm a skeptic as far as people go, but as far as God, I trust with all my heart. However, the last thing I'd call myself is religious and certainly the word christian is, to me, anathema. Not because of Christ, but because that name is a title; and it's been misused and has resulted in blasphemy of God's HOLY name which I am zealous for. God is LOVE and TRUTH and FREEDOM. Those are the names of God.

The bible codes, though--I've checked them out--they're too malleable to be credible--as far as prognostication, especially. And what good is prognostication that only is discernable in hindsight? Prophets are not prognosticators--knowing what lays ahead is certainly part of it--but it isn't way down the road, but rather a few months ahead, slow and steady wins the race.

I've tried some things out--any phrase or word, or name(s) can be found in the bible with that code! I've heard that Moby Dick works just as well, and while I haven't tried that, it seems very feasible. The key to the whole statistical phenomenon lies in the amount of words contained in the book! Besides that, I have a question about the concept, to which I haven't been able to get a satisfactory answer, as of yet. Maybe you can help. There are no vowels in the Hebrew language--the vowels come with dots and marks applied to the character being affected--and in the bible, these were included with the Masoretic text--but those are not arbitrary vowels--they have everything to do with context--and context isn't transferrable. I'm not explaining it well, but to me, that blows the whole thing out of the water, beyond doubt. Of course, it's only because I've found a much more meaningful message hidden in the bible, but I read it like a book, not a statistical data bank.

The primary method by which purportedly meaningful messages have been extracted is the Equidistant Letter Sequence (ELS). To obtain an ELS from a text, choose a starting point (in principle, any letter) and a skip number, also freely and possibly negative. Then, beginning at the starting point, select letters from the text at equal spacing as given by the skip number. For example, the bold letters in this sentence form an ELS from the word SAFEST. (The skip is -4. Spaces and punctuation are ignored.)

But you see, the code is inherently inconsistent and reliant upon the person applying it! It's too malleable. And we are not the potter, we are the pot! Do you hear what I'm trying to say?

below is a website that shows all major predictions from 2006-2012 it also explains some other elements of the bible codes.

It's funny, in a strange way--there are many hints of truth in those phrases on that page--but those ideas are coming from the human mind, not the bible. Just as so many people read the bible in order to support and 'prove' their doctrine of choice, this is along the same lines.

A true codebreaker uncovers and deciphers the code--then the message is apparent and undeniable. They do not choose the code's variables and proceed from there...that is a flawed idea.

The bible does have a code--I will attest to that. The problem is that there are very very few codebreakers who can unlock it--and when they do--what happens? Sticks and stones, my friend, sticks and stones!

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I personally and still unsure about the subject of Bible codes. My first thought of the origin of the code was that this was God's way of letting us know about events to come, or some strange anomalies in the writings. But I can't help but to feel that there is something here. I used to be a huge believer of the bible codes and preached it to most of my friends. In hindsight I can see that I was very Naive. i also believe that if you look at anything long enough your brain will try convince you certain things are real. I am not sure on the truth of the bible codes, but they are definetly provoking food for thought

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   

The bible codes, though--I've checked them out--they're too malleable to be credible

Agreed. I saw a show on TV recently...probably the History Channel regarding this exact subject. It found words almost like in a word search puzzle throughout the bible...but they were just random words that someone decided weren't random and had some special meaning.

You think the bible can be translated many ways and found to mean different things to people? Well...these "codes" can be made into any story you want pretty much.

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
'If you look hard enough you'll find it'

This sia ll completly random and has no bearing on anything. Even if you are a christian the bok is just the writing of people whihc has been translated and retranslated for millenia. They used this smae ideaon boks like moby dick and found that the perosn who worte the bible code is gonna die. Its all crap and people who believe are uterly mad.

Red

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 07:42 AM
link   
It's strange one day I read the Bible and read a couple of verses. The other time I looked at the verse I saw the word cloak and I never saw it before. Is there really supposed to be a word cloak in the Bible?

top topics

join