It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen king movie suggestion

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
I've always hoped for an adaptation of The Mist from Skeleton Crew. In the right hands that could turn out very well I think.

Oh hell yes. The Mist was an amazing story. As far as the Dark Tower goes, too much material for movies to do it justice. Decent TV series? Probably take about 10 years to do it right.

A freaky tale I wouldn't mind seeing done, goth style, is Jerusalem's Lot. NOT Salem's Lot. The short story from Night Shift. Dark mood.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Hmm... "The Shining" is the one which got me going.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I agree that the Dark Tower series is unbelievably good. I would love to see it. On a different note - frankly I think that the mini series for the stand absolutely sucked! It was terrible. The unedited version of the Stand which I've read literally more than a dozen times was/is the best novel I've ever read. Interestingly, King gave a depth to the characters that is amazing. I can feel empathy to almost all of them. From Stu, to Howard, and even Trash. The "movie" (which SUCKED) did not give any justice to Kings brilliance. Just one example. In the book, Harold Lauder went through an amazing transition. In the "movie", in one scene Howard was howard, and in the next he was wearing a leather jacket. Gee, that explains things.....TOTAL INJUSTICE! In the unedited version there is a character called "The Kid". Amazing chapters between The Kid, Trash, and Flagg. I would LOVE to see a REAL movie of The Stand, but it would have to be about 50 hours long to do it right.

The best King movie in my opinion is The Shining. FireStarter was good. Shawshank, and Green Mile also were very good. Christine? Please - It was a waste of film. It's ashame what they did with IT, which is worse? The screenplay, the cast, or the acting? I'm sure though that my bud Chukkles probably worships Pennywise! Tommyknockers? *YAWN*......... Thinner? *HO HUM*....Sometimes, when you have writers as talented as King, maybe movies shouldn't be made. His writing is so perfect that your imagination can do it all.
Hey Stephen - if you're a member write me. Dinners on me Dude. You Sir RULE!

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Kubrik's The Shining was an amazing movie but it was not very true to the book. Thus, a bad adaptation in my eyes.
Misery was one of the best.

I think the rights to every one of his stories is purchased but they don't always wind up getting made. The Talisman was one of mny favorites and I've read it a few times. Black House was good but not as good. Straub writes some stellar stuff. Ghost Story was a frightening book and movie and King's son has a book out that I just read and will make a great movie. Heart Shaped Box.

If I could do it, I'd option and produce Koko and the two follow-ups by Straub. Mental note, find those books on my shelves and re-read em.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I wasn't aware that Kings son was writing. Heart Shaped Box, eh? Horror? Is he a good writer?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
It's a story about a rock star (metal) who buys a haunted suit on the internet. Ghost story from the son of the king (pun intended) of the spook stories. He writes like his dad so you can expect a quick read.
amazon linky.
www.amazon.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Excellent! Thank you for the recommendation. I will certainly give it a read.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I'd send you mine but my sister snagged it last week.

another good one, from another new author. A Good and Happy Child.
www.amazon.com...

I'm in the middle of it now and it is pretty strange and also an excellent read. Optioned before it was released so a movie might be forthcoming.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
I'd send you mine but my sister snagged it last week.

That bitch! I'm kidding!!!!
Obviously you are into the horror genre, as am I. I LOVE horror. Ever read any Koontz?
Back on topic - I forgot about Dream Catcher, wasn't a big fan of the movie.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
If I could do it, I'd option and produce Koko and the two follow-ups by Straub. Mental note, find those books on my shelves and re-read em.

I actually read "The Throat" first, and was blown away. It stands by itself, but the entire "Blue Rose" trilogy is incredible.

Hollywood should be forbidden to touch any of it.

I still like "Black House" better than "The Talisman". I'm hearing King and Straub may collaborate on a third to complete that trilogy.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
lombozo, I read one Koontz book (the one they made into a movie with Goldblum and Alicia Silverstone). Wasn't a big fan.

yeah - A third would be stellar. The first collaboration was amazing. Not only was the story great but there were moments in the book where you knew the story was passed from one author to the next. And he flipped.....

Another good read - Neil Gaiman. Anansi Boys, American God. good stuff. Clive Barker -The Great and Secret Show.

For comedic horror:
World War Z - Max Brooks (scary political satire)
Christopher Moore - everything this dude writes is a riot. Vampire love stories, The lost gospels of jesus (the teen years), and a ton of stranger than hell stories.

Vampire Detective - Charlie Huston - the Joe Pitt Series. Two books out. More pulp detective than horror but it's about vampires.

I guaranty you'll love them all.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Outstanding. I'm always glad to get some reading suggestions.

Koontz, you need to revisit. The movies they make from his work are the suck, but if you read Watchers or Lightning, I think you'd be hooked.

If you like Clive Barker and haven't read Imajica, you need to.

I've been looking for a cheap version of a book called "House of Leaves" by Mark Danielewski, but no luck so far. I know I can get it cut rate on line, but I'm still checking the local used book stores. it'll show up eventually.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I read imajica. excellent stuff.

ok, now I'm going to go completely off topic (sorry for this)

I love You Beth Cooper.

out now in hardcover. It's hysterical. Every chapter starts with a quote from some teen movie hero (spicoli etc). It's about graduation night and the title is the first line spoken by the valedictorian in his commencement speech. The story revolves around his escapades that night. Porky's material. Short and fast read.

Love Monkey. They attempted to make a tv show based on this. The dude from Ed was in it. The show was ok but nowhere similar to the book. This book and the Beth Cooper book are two of the funniest things I've read in years.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Since the thread's two days away from being a year old, and in BTS, I guess we can't get too abused for diverging from topic.

And on that note, the single funniest book I've ever read was Mad Ducks and Bears by George Plimpton.

It was originally to be a book about how to play line in football with the expertise supplied by Alex Karras on defense (The Mad Duck) and John Gordy on offense (The Bear). And of course the book has absolutely nothing to do with that.

It's a guaranteed laugh out loud gut buster, even if you care nothing about football.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
According to King's website The Mist was optioned is in the filming stage. I believe there are clips also for viewing.

I don't feel any of his novels translate well into cinema as the suspense is usually omitted for the gore and fright factors. Nothing scary about a head getting chopped off, but crawling around in a dark sewer or the possibilty of a razor clawed long dead ET trapped in the same UFO with you is, in your own imaggination infinetly more frieghtening.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join