It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

::just wondering about these solar flares?::

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 05:30 PM
link   
(Oct. 24) -- Airline navigation systems and satellite phones are feeling the effects of unusually tempestuous solar weather, which culminated Friday with the arrival of a geomagnetic storm in the Earth's upper atmosphere.

The SOHO spacecraft captured Wednesday's solar eruption. Animated image courtesy of Space.com (SOHO/NASA/ESA)

Scientists tracking heightened solar activity in recent days reported some commercial airlines have had to make adjustments to their high-frequency communications, or in some cases switch to alternate satellite systems.

"The first thing we notice in these storms is the X-rays, which travel at the speed of light and can cause radio blackouts," said Larry Combs, a space weather forecaster for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Space Environment Center in Boulder, Colorado.

Several Himalayan expeditions using satellite phones have also had interference with their communications due to the X-rays, he said.

The X-rays were associated with unexpectedly strong solar disturbances this week, in particular a strong coronal mass ejection (CME) on Wednesday, which sent a stream of superheated gas and particles in our direction.

[url=http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20031023133109990005]

X-rays? Radio Disturbances/ black outs( definate open invitational to any new terrorsit attack???) well all the news about the sun sounds fishy. I don't know about any of you's but im not falling for this BS!

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Terrorists eh? I think scientists do anything they can to explain whatever happens... even lies.

But Terrorists eh? I think that would require very sophisticated technology.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 09:20 PM
link   
While anything is possible, Solar flares are not a new phenomenon, so I seriously doubt this is a cover up of any kind.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I really don't see the point of "faking" a solar flare for something else to go down. Solar flares have been around longer than terrorism anyways.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 09:29 PM
link   
According to one website, the solar flares are just a weak cover up story to use as a smoke screen for planet x.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I thought it was determined that Planet X doesn't exist, not only by the ones who administer the truth to the public, but several people on this board debunked it as well. Maybe I'm mistaken though?

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 09:35 PM
link   
well according to the website it is just around the corner and doomsday shall soon be upon us. LOL.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Eh, the doomsday can't really be that bad. I'll do a little looking into this planet X thing, as it seems I was mistaken in my thoughts.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Found this in relation to the more recent effects:
Click here - BBC News

Seems they're calling it a "moderate geomagnetic storm"

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaoszero
Eh, the doomsday can't really be that bad. I'll do a little looking into this planet X thing, as it seems I was mistaken in my thoughts.

planet x? sounds interesting....first time round i've heard of it, what is it? is it a planet or a gaseous gnome? tell!!!

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyrus
planet x? sounds interesting....first time round i've heard of it, what is it? is it a planet or a gaseous gnome? tell!!!

Try searching ATS for "planet x" - it's been discussed plenty in the past

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Sometimes solar flares are just that, solar flares. We dont know how uncommon this actually is, we havent been studying the sun for that long. It might be something that occurs every 200-300 years or so. The reason why it affects us that much is the technology we have these days, everything is satelite-based, electronic, of course it will be affected by solar flares.

I doubt that it is a cover-up for anything.

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Maybe the solar flares are the result of a large celestial body's increasing gravitational attraction as it gets closer and closer.

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 08:58 PM
link   
i've started tracking these solar flares...and it seems that i get headaches about 12-18 hours after the flares erupt.. and this is about 24-36 hours after i learn of a flare..i guess i'm just weird???????

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Whoa!! I havent had a head ache in months. Weird.

posted on Dec, 10 2003 @ 04:32 AM
link   
do solar flares usually make the news? especially if routine?

top topics

join