It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Hockey Fans....I Need Your Help!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I don't know where this should go, but i need help answering this question.

Besides the number "0" (zero), there is one number that is not allowed to be worn by any player on any team in the National Hockey League (NHL). What number is this?

Mod Edit: Removed all caps title.

[edit on 15-6-2006 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Rule 13 Composition of Team

1. A Team shall be composed of 20 players (18 skaters and two goalkeepers as per Rule 15 (a)(c)(d) - Players in Uniform) who shall be under contract to the Club they represent.

2. Each player and each goalkeeper listed in the lineup of each Team shall wear an individual identifying number at least ten inches (10") high on the back of his sweater. Sweater numbers such as 00, 1/2 (fractions), .05 (decimals), 101 (three digit) are not permitted. In addition, each player and goalkeeper shall wear his surname in full, in block letters three inches (3") high, across the back of his sweater at shoulder height.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by JebusSaves

Besides the number "0" (zero), there is one number that is not allowed to be worn by any player on any team in the National Hockey League (NHL). What number is this?

Are you speaking of #99? It was retired by the league after Wayne Gretzky retired.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by pstiffy

Originally posted by JebusSaves

Are you speaking of #99? It was retired by the league after Wayne Gretzky retired.

Thats it, the Great Gretzky's 99....Thank You

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I think 66(Lemuiex) and 33(Patrick Roy) will also be retired soon. Then one day, 87(Crosby).

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
99 has been retired by the entire league, no team is permitted to allow any player to wear it.

66 is already retired by the Penguins but you will not see it retired by the league, but I would be surprised to see anyone come along anytime soon to wear it.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Yeah, i knew they Pens had the number retired, but why not the whole league? wasnt he good enough?

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Believe me I am right on your side with this one.

I would put Mario ahead of Gretz on the all time greatest list to be honest. Mario and Bobby were the two best in my opinion, Gretz coming in third. I just didn't agree with #99 being retired to be honest, and even though I believe Mario to be better I would rather not see #66 retired league wide. Not due to his ability, just because I don't agree with it. Retiring jersey numbers should be restricted to each team, and left for them to be decided.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
yeah that does make sense. I'm only 16 so i never got to see Bobby Ore or Gretzky play, Let alone watching Mario Win the cups (i was like 3). So i couldnt tell you who the best one was. But being a Penguin fan, id automatically say Marios the best.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Its tough to compare Bobby Orr to Gretz or Mario, mainly because he was a defenseman and had half of the career they had. Orr led the league in scoring twice I believe, as a defenseman. That is remarkable.

Mario battled cancer and did not enjoy the lengthy career Gretz had, if he was lucky enough to play as many as games, Im confident to believe Mario may have topped Gretz's records.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Wasn't only about how good he was on the ice! Although in my opinion he could anticipate the game better the any human could ever. I had the honour to meet Mr. 99 and let me say for a man that could have considered himself a God, he was the most down to earth man I have ever met. Mario was great! but not an all around player. In the hey day's for the OIL people trembled have to play agaist "The Great One".

But, mostly he was an ambassador for the Game and a great one at that.
When 99 got retired a part of my hockey childhood was perserved forever!

All hail Wayne!
There will never be another....
Crosby Will be great I think... but only one great 1

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Gretzky played in a league where he was completely protected. Noone was capable of laying a stick on him, putting a body on him, etc. Now I am all for protecting the best players in the league, but when it begins to push the limit it did for Gretzky, its too much for me.

Anyone remember that rookie who layed Gretzky out in his first shift? No.. because it was his Last Shift!

Look at Mario, hooked, grabbed, clutching! Bobby Orr.. his damn knees!

Gretzky did not play with half the grit these guys did, and had special treatment never before seen.

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   

[edit on 15-6-2006 by Marto_Bagg]

posted on Jun, 15 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Well #99 may be the only number retired in the entire National Hockey League but let's not forget the great players who have also had their numbers retired. Of course, I am referring to players whose teams retired their numbers because of their incredible contribution to their teams and to the great game of hockey.

Retired Numbers ; a team by team breakdown

new topics

top topics

join