It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why this huge Star Wars fan doesn’t “acknowledge” any content outside the original trilogy…

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The way I see it The extended universe is for fans to continue the stories they love. I read them not just because they are Star wars but because they have rich and engaging plots.I remember about 4 years ago getting a huge box of Star wars novels at a church book sale. I immediatley started wolfing them down but then I found that I had only 2 out of a trilogy this caused me no end of frustration as I really neede to find out what happened next. Part of why I like it is the fact that it is an extended "universe" that is that most of the authors collaborate and weave a rich tapestrey of storytelling.

And yes Obi-Wan is the shiznit

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
I am a Star Wars brat, old enough to see all of them in the theaters in fact. I can sit here tell you how much of a fan I am, like everybody seems to try to “out fan” you. But please just trust me when I say that Star Wars has consumed 70%+ of any spare time and attention I have been able to muster up in the last 30 years or so (I even have a Darth Maul tattoo!)

I'll be the first to admit I'm not an uber-fan. But I do love SW and my experience in the movie theater in 1977 (was it really that long ago?) has left a lasting impression on me. Who can forget the opening scene when the Empire's spaceship just kept on coming and coming. A tour de force and I don't think any spaceship (and I include Enterprise D) blew me away quite so much.

Anyways, as much of a fan I am, I won’t even entertain any content other than what was introduced with the movies, nothing, not one iota.

So... I just want to endorse this viewpoint. It's easy to overdo something nice. The first few scoops of Haagen-Dazs are delicious, but after then 10th pot things can get a bit sickly.

[edit on 11/30/06 by Trinityman]

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
As an aside, have you ever read any of hte Lensmen series? They supposedly were a large part of lucas's inspiration. They're great, have a star wars feel to them in a sense.

Loved that series. I though Smith's writing style was a little dated (not dissimilar to Asimov), but the vision and scope of his Universe really caught my imagination. Now that would make a great series, modern technology and a director with imagination could really capture the whole 'mental battles' effectively.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by GSA
Star wars 4, 5 and 6. Thats all that counts. They told the story, the dished out fate and made us pine for more, but when more came along, they were not up to the standards we had all 'imagined' them to be...

Bingo. The only Star Wars Trilogy waas the orginal Trilogy. And BTW... Han Solo shot first.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by GSA
Theres the problem, we all had our own ideas and wishes, and when none of them came in we all had a good old moan. Mine was jar jar binks - he should of never been included and for me ruines the episodes.

Yes he did... but you do realise without him there would be no 4, 5 & 6? It was him suggesting the Chancellor be given emergency powers which allowed Palpatine to become the ultimate ranking authority in the Clone Army. If he hadn't been included we would have no Clone Wars, no Jedi Purge and none of the Dark Times.

Personally I agree with the majority. The sequels, or originals, or whatever you want to call them were best. I mean I'm not old enough to remember them from the cinema but I remember the first time I watched a New Hope and saw Darth Vader striding through the dead Rebels, or holding the solider up with one hand. He terrified me, but at the same time I was enthralled by him (more so than any of the other characters).
I'm glad he made the prequels and elaborated Darth Vader's life before the suit. I understand how some of you don't accept it, but Lucas has said that the originals aren't about Luke Skywalker, they're about Vader, and together with the prequels they portray "The Tragedy of Darth Vader and His Redemption".

Myself, I love the Expanded Universe. As far as I'm concerned Darth Revan menaced the galaxy thousands of years before Palpatine was born, Boba Fett is Mandalore and Jacen Solo is going to follow in his grandfather's footsteps.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Best movie: Empire (Sith second)
Worst: Phantom

That'd be my ranking as well...but with more....

Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace

As for best outside of the movies:

The whole Grand Admiral Thrawn saga....would love to see that evolve into a few flicks....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join