It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open Letter To Bush From Australian MPs AND great bonus - see Bush heckled in Parliament

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 06:14 PM
link   
This is the text of the letter being presented to 'president' Bush today after he thanks weasel John Howard and Australia for brown-nosing and sucking up to the US in its illegal invasion of Iraq, in an address to Parliament:

Dear President Bush,

The friendship between our countries is longstanding and deeply felt. We have a great deal in common, particularly our commitment to democracy. We retain our commitment to the ANZUS alliance.

That's why we feel it's important for you to understand why so many Australians opposed the war on Iraq.

Australians have a history of support for international efforts to stop the spread of weapons including weapons of mass destruction and landmines. Weapons inspectors should have been given the time they asked for to peacefully disarm Iraq. No evidence of a massive weapons building program nor capability has emerged since the war. Australia, the US and Britain went to war because of a "clear and present danger" which just did not exist.

We believe that international conflict should, wherever possible, be dealt with peacefully and through international co-operation under the auspices of the United Nations. When all attempts for a peaceful resolution have been exhausted, United Nations sanction is vital if force is to be used.

What is to prevent other countries from following the example of our attack on Iraq, and arguing the right to preventative self-defence? Why shouldn't North and South Korea attack each other using the template we developed in Iraq? Or India and Pakistan?

The precedent we have set is a very dangerous one, and there is every indication that the world will become less safe, not more, because of our actions. Certainly the British Joint Intelligence Committee believes the risk of terrorism will increase due to the war with Iraq.

Our own government knew of this increased risk before the war and refused to tell the Australian people.

Many Australians have continuing concerns about what will happen in Iraq now. Civil unrest continues. The death toll for Iraqis and US, UK and allied troops mounts. The bombing of the United Nations headquarters shocked the world, and it seems that instead of eradicating terrorism in Iraq the country has become a terrorist magnet.

The United States must now redouble its efforts to enlist the help of the world community to bring peace and rebuild Iraq, and then withdraw as soon as practicable. Iraqis must regain control of their destinies and their resources as soon as possible.

While many of us didn't support the war on Iraq, all Australians welcome the end of Saddam Hussein's brutal regime.

Our hope for Iraq is that there will be a strong, stable, democratic government which represents all the people of Iraq, including the ethnic and religious minorities.

Our hope is that the people of Iraq will have control over the rich resources of their country and be able to use those resources for their collective benefit. Our hope for the world is that this mistake will lead us to renew our commitment to the United Nations and its processes for promoting and maintaining global peace.

Signed by:

Dick Adams, Anthony Albanese, Anna Burke, Ann Corcoran, Laurie Ferguson, Jennie George, Steve Gibbons, Sharon Grierson, Alan Griffin, Jill Hall, Kelly Hoare, Julia Irwin, Harry Jenkins, Duncan Kerr, Mark Latham, Carmen Lawrence, Kirsten Livermore, Jann McFarlane, Leo McLeay, Bob McMullan, Daryl Melham, Michelle O'Byrne, Brendan O'Connor, Gavin O'Connor, Tanya Plibersek, Harry Quick, Lindsay Tanner, Maria Vamvakinou. Senators Nick Bolkus, George Campbell, Peter Cook, Trish Crossin, Kay Denman, John Faulkner, Linda Kirk, Kate Lundy, Jan McLucas, Gavin Marshall, Claire Moore, Ruth Webber, Penny Wong.

Any thoughts? (aside from about my unoriginal question).

[Edited on 23-10-2003 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 06:21 PM
link   
This taken with Rumfeld's admission, and other items of interest, is just the forefront of a tidal wave. I think there is more to come, faster and harder, because a predcent of criticism is emerging. A big thumbs up for the Australian MPs. I really do think the peace in Iraq might be changed in some big way. For America's sake I hope so. We owe a lot of money, to say the least.

My worries are that PNAC and crew might be more dangerous when in suicidal mode. I would think that 3 years from now this whole thing will be over but I sudder to think exactly how it will go down.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 06:23 PM
link   
It's about time Australia stepped up to the plate. They've been the U.S' bitch for a while now and the people down there hate it. I suppose this letter had more of an intention to gain votes from these MP's constituents than change the Prime Minister's foreign policy stance of "I'm with stupid > *Bush stands here*"

I'm sure Mr. Bush has heard it all before.

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Good to see the Aussie politicians do have balls after all. We had a few resigning over it and all the rest. Democracy is a farce in the west; It's just yet another example of our military industrial illusion of democracy. Arms sales rule! We need fuel!

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 07:31 PM
link   
now for an austrlian point of view.

That letter is EXACTLY what about 90-95% of the population think.

most of us think that george bush is a war monger and that John Howard & tony blair are both his lap dogs willing to do what it takes to stay on "the right side".

while i dont agree that the war on iraq will make the world a better place, i do think that in the long run The iraqi people will benifit from Not having saddam as their leader.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Two Anti-War Senators Protest Bush Speech

Thursday October 23, 2003 3:46 AM

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) - Two senators who staunchly opposed the U.S. led war in Iraq heckled President Bush as he spoke to parliament on Thursday, but the president shrugged it off, saying "I love free speech.''

Both lawmakers, maverick Sen. Bob Brown and Sen. Kerry Nettle, were ordered out of the chamber, but refused to leave.

Brown was the first to interrupt Bush, as the president was saying that people should be happy that Saddam Hussein's regime had been toppled in Iraq. When a parliamentary official motioned for Brown to leave, he shook his head and stood his ground.

Later, when Bush paid tribute to Australia for promoting peace in Southeast Asia, Brown shouted: "But we are not a sheriff.''

It was a reference to Bush's recent comment that Australia was a U.S. sheriff in the region. The comment apparently was intended to portray Australia as being on equal footing with the United States. Instead, it reinforced sentiment among some Asian nations that Canberra was an agent for the Bush administration.

When, Nettle shouted protests about the war in Iraq, Bush smiled and said: "I love free speech.''

As Bush arrived at the parliament, his entourage was greeted by several thousand noisy demonstrators, who were banging drums and carrying signs that said: "Bush Go Home'', "Go back to Texas'' and "Osama bin Bush'' Police held back the surging protesters, who were kept about 100 yards away from where Bush entered the building.

Imagine everyone heckling idiot Bush any time he got up to speak. Useful concept.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Senator Brown addressing anti-Bush protestors

Senator Brown, wearing images of Australian terror detainees David Hicks and Mamdouh Habib, told protesters it was appalling the Australian people were locked out of the parliament building.

"This is a parliament disconnected from the people in service to a visiting head of state who does not respect people of this country," Senator Brown said.

"The message to George Bush because our Prime Minister is too obsequious to raise it, is to repatriate our Australians to our soul for justice as you have repatriated your Americans from the torture centre in Guantanamo Bay."

Dr Lawrence said Australia was not anti-American.

"Our argument is not with the US nor with its people," she said.

"This is personal. Our argument is with President George Bush and his administration."

Protesters waving placards and chanting anti-war slogans marched from parliament towards the prime minister's official Canberra residence The Lodge after Mr Bush addressed parliament and prepared for a barbecue with Mr Howard.

Scuffles erupted en route to The Lodge, outside the US Embassy, as some protesters tried to break through a police line.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I knew I should have taken time off work and gone to Canberra...........

It was reported in the paper this evening that one of the mp's that got thrown out of parliament tried to hand Bush some papers , which he didnt take..........

maybe that was the letter?

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Our three branches are in the strangle hold of Neo-Conservatives cum Fascists.
Hence, the opposition needs to also conduct vocal dissent by proxy - since the parlimentary debates are stifled, the media is complicit and through most mainstram forums dissent has mistakenly been viewed as Anti Us.

I think that only relentless pinging of this administration, both internal & external, we might gain traction.
Else, the Judiciary branch will conveniently retire so more radical Right wing Ideolouges could be installed, though right of Scalia is going to be a tough find. The Republican controlled Congress will continue rampant redistricting so that all GOP all the time will infect Congress.
Though I know a Democrat will win in 2004, they'll be extremely hobbled with the taint left over in the other two branches.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 10:07 AM
link   
What the # do the Ozzie bastards know? They eat #ing kangaroos!

Actually, I hear kangaroo meat is very tasty, lean, and good for you, so they mgiht be on to something......

Anyway, I am displeased by the diplomatic and tactful nature of the letter, I was kind of hoping for something a bit stronger. Remeber the French Ambassador that called Sharon a punk? That sort of thing.

I grpw weary of the tactful and polite criticisms, when you consider the retard himself is capable of little tact or diplomacy, I dont think he understands nice respectful constructive criticism. Bush is a vile creature, and I do not believe vile creatures should be adressed politely. Perhaps if people would start calling him a braindead pretzel choking warmongering punk, he might understand.........

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The heckling by the Australians I feel was quite appropriate given the revelations we have been witness to.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Wait until Bush comes to the UK next month on the first Official State Visit an American President has ever made to the UK.

I've heard they have already cancelled a ceremonial carriage ride down The Mall.

I've a feeling it's gonna turn nasty.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Really, we want you to have the Royal Son all to yourselves, kind of our Staue of Liberty ...with a pulse!

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 10:30 AM
link   
If we ever keep him it will be in a plot in a graveyard!!

But then you guys would want to bury him in Arlington.Wouldn't you?

With his great military record and all.

[Edited on 23-10-2003 by John bull 1]

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 10:48 AM
link   
No John,

Arlington is for people who actually fought in a war, didnt go AWOL. We insist you keep him, really. Dont care what you wanna do with him. He is dumb as a rock, but im sure he can be trained to do simple tasks like fetch your newspaper, shake, roll over, and speak. If you like, you can hang him via his undies over the Thames minus the glass box to replace Blaine incase Londoners are getting bored that they have no one to pelt with fruit, eggs, and paint. Im sure if you use your imagination, you can find many uses for him. So long as you agree to keep him.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 06:50 PM
link   
He was lucky to feel at all welcomed by anyone in Australia, if he felt that way even for a moment.

But I doubt that he did, other than in direct company with weasel Howard.

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Please ....somebody take him! And don't forget Cheney, Ashcroft. and Rumsfeld....and we'll even throw in Condoleeeeeza. No takers? Yeah, I didn't think so....

posted on Oct, 23 2003 @ 07:31 PM
link   
"He is dumb as a rock"

Please don't insult the rocks!

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 06:26 AM
link   
"The Letter"referred to was NOT handed to George Bush. Senator Brown and his young mate are both part of the "Green"Party. A lot of aussies feel they should be saving the trees and sticking to what they know best, that's why they were voted in.

For all you non-australians:

1) The "Green" party are a minority in Australia.

2) They aren't taken too seriously on matters that aren't "green"; and

3) "ausconspiracies" comments that 90-95% of Australians agree with the "Letter" it total bull#!!!

4) The "Green" party and their "rent-a-crowd" supporters often cause embarrassment and will do anything to get their faces on TV.

posted on Oct, 24 2003 @ 06:35 AM
link   

) The "Green" party and their "rent-a-crowd" supporters often cause embarrassment and will do anything to get their faces on TV.

I dont quite believe you just posted that to be honest but oh well.......

All hail Bob Brown I say.

As for the " rent a crowd" comment......... it's not nice to encourage Stan Zemanick and Neil Mitchell that way....... they're already pompous enough.( For those of you who dont know, they are moron extreme right wing sexist radio broadcasters who get paid a lot of money to show the world they're assholes)

[Edited on 24-10-2003 by mulberryblueshimmer]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join