It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major eruption imminent! (From ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Thousands are being evacuated around Mount Merapi in Indonesia today, amidst fears that the volatile volcano may be about to erupt. Already in a state of constant lava flow, experts are unsure exactly how long it will be before eruption occurs, though it seems likely to be soon.

news.bbc.co.uk
Thousands of people living on the slopes of Mount Merapi in Indonesia are being taken to safety, because of fears the volcano may be about to erupt.
Old people, women and children have been taken to emergency shelters, after officials monitoring the volcano raised the threat status to the highest level.

The volcano has been rumbling for weeks but is becoming more volatile.

Streams of lava have been flowing down one side of the mountain, which is also spewing out hot volcanic ash and smoke.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While unlikely to be of any significance globally, this will undoubtedly destroy the homes and lives of people living locally. Luckily, they appear to be well prepared so hopefully there will be no casualties and damage to property will be at a minimum.

[edit on 13-5-2006 by intrepid]

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I dunno. depends on how hard this volcano blows.

remember Krakatoa, the massive volcano that blew up in 1883 and killed 36,000 people by the tsunamis and earthquakes it caused.

en.wikipedia.org...

You will see on the map below that Krakatoa and Merapi are not that far apart.

vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...

The only saving grace I see here is that Merapi is a bit further inland, though I dont know what good that will do. Its still close enough to trigger the underwater earthquakes and landslides necessary for tsunamis to occur.

And thats the last thing the poor folks of indonesia need.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Why are there so many things all at once which could kill us?

I saw a video of the people leaving the area around the volcano and it was so pittiful, to see them leave their livestock and everything they owned..

I hope they will be safe.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Already covered here:

Indonesia's Mount Merapi Ready to Blow

and here:

Volcano watch 2006

Closing this one. Any contributions can be added to one of the above threads.

new topics

top topics

join