It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DaVinci Code took Over my Life

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
On a weekend away from home I was browsing through the malls and finally cracked, I picked up a copy of Brown's DaVinci Code. The next evening I was driving home from the trip about three hours from home. My girlfriend decided she would drive the rest of the way, so I thought it was a chance to finally open the book and see what all the talk was about.

Well its less than 48 hours later, I have finished the book and now have my life back. I have been waking up early for work, reading the book all day at work whenever I had a minute, after work. This book took over my life for the last two days and allow me to say it was well worth it.

To be completely honest I went into it with a bit of a blind eye. Understood some of the book but never really dug into much of it. I thought I would spend a few weeks on the book and maybe catch the movie when it comes out on DVD. Well how the tides have turned, I have now put the book onto my girlfriend and asking her to read it as well.

To the rest of the readers out there, when you read it did it captivate you the way it has me?

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I haven't read it but I've heard the same from a lot of people. That's wonderful that a book can be so captivating! I think I'll have to break down myself and read it before the movie comes to DVD.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Im really glad I read the book before ever thinking of seeing the film.

What captivates you and leaves you hanging on edge for another four or five pages, is going to be viewed in 2 or 3 seconds on film.

I am a huge movie buff, watch alot of films. But I do not see the movie coming close to doing for me what the book did.

BH I deffinately would say stay away from the theatre or blockbuster until you give it a read.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
BH I deffinately would say stay away from the theatre or blockbuster until you give it a read.

Will do.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I've got it, but haven't read it yet. I did read "Angels and Demons" and it's definitely a real page-turner. I've heard some people say A&D is better and some say A&D is as good as, but have yet to hear someone say DaVinci Code is better. Just FYI, if you're looking for the next read.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I may check it out. The subject is deffinate a huge interest to me now.

I literally went into DaVinci with no indication of Secret Societies or really the Holy Grail. I shared common knowledge with it, but in regards to the DaVinci Code I had not really understood the link between the two. After reading it for 48 hours, Im amazed and skeptical of what I was led to believe for my whole life.

As ATS was when I first stumbled on it, DaVinci was abit of an eye opener.

Fiction or Not.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Da Vinci took over my life too. Even at school, for the first time, I am now able to see a book that is more common than Harry Potter itself.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
It's good to know you're also part of the Dan Brown/Da Vinci Code craze.

As a reader of both the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons I have to agree by saying the books are well worth the read. However, what most haven't mentioned is the style of writing Dan Brown portrays in both books. Having read The Da Vinci code first I was pleased that I chosen to read Angels and Demons after.

Although the Da Vinci Code is coming out in theatres it was not the first book written. Angels and Demons was. I was slightly dissapointed in the way that after reading Angels and Demons and having tried to read Da Vinci code after that, I found to my dissatisfaction that the better book, was the book first written.

In Angels and Demons, the first book written, the story is absolutely captivating but as that book is the first in the "series" of Robert Langdon, I felt that the Da Vinci code could have been written better. To me it seems as though Dan Brown couldn't come up with any more originality so he decided to draw facts from his first book and put them into the DV Code.

I'm not saying the book is horable and I'm nat saying that Dan Brown is a bad writer, all I want you to know is that you made a great choice in reading the DV Code first because A&D is a much better read, even though it happens before anything in the DV Code takes place.

Just thought I should let you know, and I do hope you pick up a copy of Angels and Demons. It will be well worth your while.

Cheers~

-Emissari

[edit on 11-5-2006 by Prudens Emissarius]

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I've read all of Dan Brown's books. The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons easily stick out of his work as the best, IMO. Yes, these were some of the few books that completely took over until I finished reading them, joining the group of the Harry Potter series and "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon". I don't take much time to read novels; but when I can find one of the select few that meets my "standards" I will buzz through them, zoning out of reality, entering the world where anything is possible.

BOW TO BROWN

Excellent writer.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Zoning out reality is a good way to look at it.

Being a huge hockey fan, I seen myself turning off the television during the playoffs in order to read the book. Going to bed early to sneak in an extra hour to read, waking up early before work to get another hour or two in to read the book. My cat woke me up at 4AM and I had to think whether or not I wanted to get up and read a few pages.

Now I find myself looking for my next read. I may follow stride and give Browns other read a go.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
IMO A&D is a much faster read. As I recall I read it in like 17 hours non-stop. Couldnt
put it down, kept telling myself Ill go to bed after the next page/chapter etc. . I put it down after I closed the back cover. I think I put TDVC down twice before I finished it.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I got the book today (The DaVinci Code)... Now just to set aside those 3 days so I can get completely caught up in it!

Seriously, I'll probably take 10 days or so. Right now, I can't take the time to immerse myself in it but I'll report back here when I'm done.

[edit on 16-5-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I enjoyed both books. Brown spins a captivating story.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Actually I'm starting with A&D. I'm about half way through it and it's great. Then I'll go see the DaVinci code movie then I'll read the DaVinci code to compare and contrast.

Looking forward to the movie.

Peace

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I am going to try to pick up A&D this weekend, Im hearing alot of good things about it.

I am sure I'll lose another few days of my life when I pick that one up as well.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I am going to try to pick up A&D this weekend, Im hearing alot of good things about it.
I am sure I'll lose another few days of my life when I pick that one up as well.

You should chissler. A&D was my first Dan Brown experience. I've read it in 2004. Actually A&D's more action-packed than DVC. It was a race against time.

But yeah, DVC was more shocking to me (being a Catholic). It was one hell of a ride reading that book.

To answer your question, yes...that book took over my life too.

[edit on 18-5-2006 by bigmakoy]

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Great to here. I'll probably pick it up tomorrow or Saturday. More likely on the weekend because I'll have the day off. Get cracken on it Sunday for sure.

Hearing so many good things on it. At work this week one of my co-workers and I were talking about DaVinci and she was asking about A&D if I had read it. So it seems like anytime DaVinci comes up, A&D is sure to follow.

* chissler waits patiently

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I may check it out. The subject is deffinate a huge interest to me now.

I literally went into DaVinci with no indication of Secret Societies or really the Holy Grail. I shared common knowledge with it, but in regards to the DaVinci Code I had not really understood the link between the two. After reading it for 48 hours, Im amazed and skeptical of what I was led to believe for my whole life.

As ATS was when I first stumbled on it, DaVinci was abit of an eye opener.

Fiction or Not.

I just want to point out that all the stuff he stalks about has been extesivaly disproven.
There is no star on the floor of Roselyn chapel, for instance.
Look at other threads and stuff, it's all over the web and there are at least 10 books that debunk EVERYTHING in the davinci code.
I'm even starting to doubt Frances existance.
And the painting and frame that the female character uses as a sheild weigh's 250-300lb's and is 6.5 feet tall instead of 5 feet that he claims it is.
If you thought it was an eye opener I suggest you look into it and see that it is based on lies, NOT facts as the author claims.

The Last Supper isn't a fresco for instance.

And the secret papers that had a list of the Grandmasters of Priory of Sion are KNOWN to be a hoax.

posted on May, 23 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Then I'll go see the DaVinci code movie then I'll read the DaVinci code to compare and contrast.

IMO they could have done a much better job with the movie. the casting could have been much better. The only one that I thought really carried it well was Audrey Tautou
who played Sophie Neveu, and they did apoor job of developing her character. In
general they did a poor job completely changing certain things, leaving things out,
adding things that were not in the book. And adding gratuitous violence (protracted fights) and high speed car chases ( in reverse no less), but thats hollyweird for ya.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   
*Doubletake*

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon? Really?
:bnghd:

That one was a waste of my life.

DaVinci was really cool, but it was so similar to Angels and Demons. I think so, anyway. I need to go see the movie at some point.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join