It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Korean Scientists Develop Female Android

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Standing 1.6 meters tall and weighing about 50 kilograms, she can understand others, speak, blink with her eyes and makes several facial expressions. But she is not human, rather an android developed by a team of South Korean scientists. It is only the second time in the world that an android has been developed _ Japan made the first one.

The Korea Times

My question is this. If this is what's being shown to us, what in the world have they come up with in the military labs around the world? 400 words may not seem like a lot, but this is something that eventually can be able to walk amongst us with the possiblity that we wouldn't even realize it. Of course, the ramifications could be endless, but I'd like to think of all the ways this could be used for good first.

Of course, droids could be used to stick in planes and crash resulting in "civilian casualties."

Mods, this is my first time posting a new thread, if it's in the wrong place, please smile upon me and tell me where to move it.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
This didn't amaze me until I saw the picture of the android.

Amazingly lifelike...

Creepy.

Now we know the world of I, Robot is near

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Yup, she's pretty cute but the technology just isn't quite perfected yet, sadly

Source
her lower half is immobile...

What a letdown...

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Yup, she's pretty cute but the technology just isn't quite perfected yet, sadly

Source
her lower half is immobile...

What a letdown...

You know that this is destined to be the ultimate sex toy, don't you?

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
My question is this. If this is what's being shown to us, what in the world have they come up with in the military labs around the world?

A couple of points: the military doesn't have labs UNLESS the government is a dictatorship. The rest of the world contracts its new stuff from companies like Raytheon (my spouse works at Raytheon, so I do know this to be accurate.)

Secondly, it has very little military applications at the moment. None of them can balance while they walk (except ASIMO), and even if they weren't glued/screwed down, they are heavy and they require a huge amount of power to run. You really can't have a $6,000,000 soldier that performs for 4 hours and then has to go run find a power plug.

At this point, I'm not sure that they have much in mind for them. Entertainment, yes (they have a great deal of application in amusement parks) and perhaps household applications. But the bigger market is in robots that don't have to be human shaped (cars, for instance, or vacuum cleaners.) We already have robotic planes (and some may respond to human voice) and they're less crash-prone on long missions than human-flown ones.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Boy meets girl.
Boy loses girl.
Boy builds girl.

Why is it that both lifelike androids built so far are female in appearance?

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Secondly, it has very little military applications at the moment. None of them can balance while they walk (except ASIMO), and even if they weren't glued/screwed down, they are heavy and they require a huge amount of power to run. You really can't have a $6,000,000 soldier that performs for 4 hours and then has to go run find a power plug.

And to add to that, why would they want a $6,000,000 soldier that was less "intelligent" than a housefly? This thing hasn't got a brain to speak of, and we are no where near developing a human-like AI. In fact we don't actually know how to build true AI. Also this technology is likely to be very delicate and will take a team of techies to keep it going - just been exposed to dust or sand would probably kill it, let alone someone shooting at it.

The military is much more interested in developing rudimentary "brains" that are capable of making decisions in response to external stimulai. Such as a missile that could be sent on a strike but if it saw friendly forces in the area could assess the battlefield and choose another target.

After recently reading the fantastic Jarhead recently (about the first Gulf War) where the ranger marines had the "cutting edge" kit - chemical protection masks with water bottle attachments that broke the first time you used them - causing marines to gleefully burn them so as not to have to carry them, I am very skeptical about seeing a legion of robots advancing through the desert.

They are built by men?

[edit on 6/5/06 by FatherLukeDuke]

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by rich23

Because when they become self aware and start killing people a female appearance is slightly less threatening then a freaky naked Arnold Swarzenegger.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by FatherLukeDuke

They are built by men?

[edit on 6/5/06 by FatherLukeDuke]

Um... it was meant to be rhetorical... but hey, knock yourself out...

top topics

join