It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

when locking topics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
mainly to the mods here
when you lock a topic because its a duplicate of another
if it has replys to it why not just merge it into the other topic?

just curious

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
We don't merge topics...ever. It tends to mutilate threads for some reason. Moderators don't even have that option anymore.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Yes, that option has sent many a mod sitting in a corner in the fetile position rocking back and forth muttering, "What have I done?" over and over again.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
ok then (i kind of can see ur points)

one more question

when a topic goes off topic why not split it into two and move it to the relivent section (not saying all offtopics) just ones with decent replies

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Well, I don't think splitting thread has ever been an option.
Although, the member who goes off topic should start a news thread to voice his opinion.
Just the thought of weeding and directing posts into split threads makes me think of sitting in the corner rocking back and forth

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
what i have seen (in other forums) is that merging threads causes really old threads to be born again, that never needed to be born in the first place

i am glad we don't have this option on ATS

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Hi bodrul,

Merging threads as have already been stated, caused all manner of problems and used to result in corruption and loss of posts. We never could figure out the problem, so we removed the Merge option so nobody could accidently give it a tap (not even me!).

Splitting threads is not a possibility either. It's a complex procedure to have in place and could get "messy". If a topic starts to branch off, it isn't usually very long before the original author and other members involved in the discussion bring it back to original subject and ask that person to start a new thread.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Improved Features

Another way to look at splitting threads: instead of a "moderator only" feature, it's available to all members.

Just start a new thread on the "subtopic", post reference links in the old and new threads if you want and you're off to the races.

Be sure that it really is a distinct topic though, or the new thread might get locked itself, which may leave you sitting in the corner rocking back and forth.

When in doubt, it never hurts to ask a mod. Just send a U2U or hit the Suggestion button.

I mean hey, we like working with threads too.

new topics

top topics

join