It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UAVs operational over America?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Spirit Warrior

Since you're responsible for resurrecting this thread, I will try to explain my reason for the helo. When I originally posted this thread, I had thought that uav's were not in service yet. Now I'm aware of uses.
Adding your latest post makes me think of the great advantages of uav's, like in fire detection--no more sending a pilot to check on mountain fires, with the pilot ending up killed in a crash, which unfortunately has happened. So those planes will go the way of lookout towers.

Another question before I explain helo reason--if the craft are unmanned, how do they safely operate through the skies visually, does the ground pilot see as well as one would in the craft? Does a uav have super duper collision avoidance system?

OK, now for helo. The helo part came in after my OP. In a post above to imysbbad, I related what I saw one night.
Now, that got me thinking about uav's and helos. Now, after reading your post, I am thinking, line of sight--would there be an instance when a helo would be the line of sight relay perhaps for data? From miles away. I think that that is what electronics in reconnaissance craft have to also do, besides the use of sat.

Hope I make sense.
Sorry but the only bands I know are musical.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
For flying within US airspace, the UAV matter is quite complex. For one thing, the freq. used must be approved well in advance so it does not interfere with on going operations like secret 'stuff' at Edwards often involving NASA there. Then, ATC is notified of the intended mission, destination and possible route operational boundaries. They approve the mission theatre and notify all manned craft in the operational area to 'be advised of unmanned operations at ### area at XXXXX altitude. There are quite a few rules regarding the process. So, basically manned craft are notified to stay out of the AO (area of Op.) and the UAV must adhere to the mission plan strictly while asking for expansions when they arise. UAVs do not have collision av as I am aware. The added expense and weight is not worth it. However, I am not a complete subj matter expert, so there may be that system here and there, but I know of none.

To address the helo...UAVs are often used as comms relays for ground personnel to CPs. Some UAVs have a robot payload which can be deployed at elevation for that purpose as well. Manned craft like the AWAC do this as well.

S Band is just an EM freq. It is less likely to be subject to interference. I believe even the Apollo missions used S band from the moon to Earth relay.

[edit on 2-2-2008 by Spirit Warrior]

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Spirit Warrior

Thank you for info.
I remember an EI report I read awhile back, for EAFB to fly their experimental uav's over So Cal to the ocean and from EAFB to China Lake. I guess they're good at sorting out airspace
link

Someday I would like to see a uav being used routinely. Like for forest fires.

<< 1   >>

join