It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Camp Hero, Montauk Point Air Force Base Pictures

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by William One Sac

Awesome pics! I have had the opportunity to do some "Urban Exploring" in Upstate NY, as I live near Syracuse. Mostly SAC-related facilities that are now closed as a result of BRAC.

I have always wanted to visit Montauk! I'd love to get into some of those underground bunkers!!

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I am possibly the only living past employee (USAF) of this place. I was assigned to Montauk 773rd Radar Sqdn in April of 63. I was assigned to work in the tower because my AFSC was 27350 (AC&W operator). I have been from the top of the tower to 4 stories below the tower. I will admit that I never saw anything that was questionable to me, nor did I have any strange feelings while there. I worked for Capt John Beason in the radar ops room during missions and with TSgt Clyde T. Nason in the ops office as a clerk when no missions were being performed.

Our sqdn commander was a major. He and I got along quite well. I was the base photographer. I also ran the recreation/theater/library building after I got into a military dispute with Tsgt Nason. The commander felt it was in the best interest of the AF if we were kept apart. Good decision. Nason was a drunk and verbal abuser of everyone walking the base. He respected no rank and no rank respected him. This made me curious as to why he was still in the service since such behavior was not tolerated as a rule. As base photographer I was allowed to go anywhere on base I felt was photo worthy. THerefore, I have been to the top of the tower during maintainance of the Antena. There was a plaque of some sort there but I never paid attention to it.

My family and I lived in Sag Harbor for the two years we were there. We rented an upstairs floor from a Mr. Edwards. Right on the main street as you went into the town. Lived two blocks from John Steinbeck, who was a prominent 'oddity' around town, as he always rode a bike, and had a large red irish setter that was trained to ride on a wooden platform over the back wheel.

This base was like a small new england fishing village. It was designed to look like that because of WW II. That one building in the series of pictures shown on this forum, which has the steps going up in the front, to a double door, was an all purpose building used for Church services, and housed a small AF exchange/commissary, which at the time was operated by our first sgt. on his time off. We held plays and other social activities inside the hall. I have pictures of that too.

I have google earthed the base and it looks nothing like it was in 63. Standing at the tower base and looking back to the base proper, on the left hand side, the first building was the orderly room and commanders office. The next building was a supply building of sorts, the third building was the recreation building which housed the theater (used for commander's call every month), a small library, several rec. services, pool tables, wood shop, photograpy dark room, and a central lounge area.

Past that, across the street, was the aforementioned building. DIrectly across the street from the rec. hall was the dining hall, going back up the street towards the tower again were the barracks, two sets of them. Everything was designed like an old fishing village. Nothing military about it at all. The motor pool was off the main road, back in the woods. It also housed the auto hobby shop where we could work on our own cars.

I have been in the bunkers a number of times. Had a base recall one night and we had to muster in one of the bunkers. Never knew what that was about. You could drive an 18 wheeler inside one of them. The WW II gun emplacements, 16 inch cannons, were open toward the ocean. There were several stories below the bunkers but I never cared to go there. Had no need. But I 'knew' they were there.

Off to the south of the main tower, was another smaller tower, which housed the height finder radar and it's associated equipment to make it function. The height finder looked like a regular antenna, on it's back, facing out and would rock up and down when in use. The whole thing would rotate to follow the aircraft but the up and down motion gave out a height seeking beam once it was positioned on the aircraft in question.

ALL that I have read about Montauk to today, makes me wonder just what was our mission there. We never utilized it like a 'working' AC&W site. I had worked at one and knew what they did. Montauk, for all its 'show', did not fit that bill. SO, now I wonder.

When I think about it all, I can agree with any warning you might see, or hear about it. Be very careful out there.It wasn't what it seemed in 1963-1964, and I am sure it is not what it seems now. Had I been as interested then, in what I am now, I would have been all over that base with my camera, like stink on a skunk's butt. R.A. De Long

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by bentheredunthat

Here is an interview with William that many here may not have seen.

ATS News - Special - Camp Hero Investigation AboveTopSecret.com founding member, "William One Sac," now in the battle of his life with cancer, recounts his experiences as he explored and learned about Camp Hero in Montauk, NY. While the ATS team was in New York at the Roosevelt Hotel, we took the opportunity to conduct an impromptu interview with the original "Subversive Element," John a.k.a. "William One Sac." Unfortunately, because of his battle with cancer, it's been difficult for John to continue his on-the-scene investigations, so we jumped at the opportunity to get his first-hand experiences on tape. To learn more, visit his website at: www.subversiveelement.com
video.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bentheredunthat

Phenomenal post, with SUCH intricate detail and imagery! Thank you so much for joining our forums, just to post that!!!!

And on a side-note, I'd like to thank you for serving our country and keeping us and our freedoms, safe!

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Really great pictures of the Montauk base wish I could visit it.

Reading through this thread some people have said they are sceptical about the whole Montauk project. The whole Montauk saga certainly sounds fantastic and if it is just made up its up there with the best science fiction in my opinion.

I have to ask myself why would someone go to such lengths to make up something such as this even if the story has been embellished there has to be some layer of truth in the story.

By the way I was reading an interview with Al Bielek and he said a photograph of the 'Montauk Beast' which Duncan Cameron brought into being was taken. Now that is something I would like to see.

Also does anyone wonder if the Montauk Monster washed up on beach in 2008 might have been something left over from the experiments at the Montauk base?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by weavty1

Weavty1, in retrospection, my involvement, militarily doesn't seem to have done much to keep this country on the level of security it once enjoyed. As a nation, we are past our prime, historically, in surviving as long as we have. Once it was found out that people could vote themselves 'freebies' from the ruling clan, then it was only a matter of time before the diminishing factor took over. Thanks for your appreciation of my service. When I got back from Nam, it was certainly different than that. Stay safe.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

Cosmic911, I was also a 'guest resident' of Hancock Field, close to Syracuse, in 1973. A good place to visit but I am glad I did not have to live there more than 9 months. At Hancock, not Syracuse, which I am sure is a wonderful place.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by fadedface
I have to ask myself why would someone go to such lengths to make up something such as this even if the story has been embellished there has to be some layer of truth in the story.

To sell books and make money.... a book on a radar site is not that interesting, but throw in aliens, teleportation etc etc then the gullible will lap it up.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
haha @ the dog, just made my day!, i wonder how much we dont see?

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by fadedface

I was there in Sept. of 2011 and can verify that it's a creepy, haunted place. The astral vibe is very thick and weird things happened to me throughout that trip. Video and descriptions below....

bloodritualmonarch.blogspot.co.nz...

edit on 18-8-2013 by BloodRitualMonarch because: incorrect links....

posted on Nov, 18 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: bentheredunthat

Hello sir,,

I know this post was from a few years back but I'm hoping you can help me out. I believe you're my one true chance on helping me with the origin of a photo located on an information board near the radar tower. Recently I came across this board and discovered a 3 by 5 inch picture of an air force member that I believe could be my deceased brother. My brother was a sergeant during the Vietnam era and I believe was stationed upstate in Plattsburgh then Camp Hero. He passed away at the age of 41 about 30 years ago. I was a young child so I don't have much more knowledge of what he did. In the picture, the soldier that I believe is my brother is sitting over a console. His name was Sgt. Ronald Ramsland. I would love any help you could provide in confirming if this is in fact my big brother so I can inform his children of my discovery. If the writer of this post does not respond and any body else might have some history or knowledge of my quest, it really would be appreciated I do have a picture of the picture in question if anybody can help me I.D. the soldier. Thankyou. Richard Ramsland

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join