It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of Emergency in The Philippines (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
A state of emergency has been declared in the Philippines as army leaders reported that they have foiled a coup attempt that implicates high-ranking security forces leaders. Schools have been closed and checkpoints have been set up.

news.bbc.co.uk
Philippine President Gloria Arroyo has declared an emergency after the army said it had foiled a coup plot involving security forces commanders.

Mrs Arroyo said she had given army and police extraordinary powers.

Security was tightened this week amid rumours of a coup timed to coincide with the anniversary of a 1986 revolt against President Ferdinand Marcos.

The army says the coup plotters had planned to speak out against Mrs Arroyo at an opposition rally on Friday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is not the first Mrs Arroyo's office have come under threat. She has survived three bids for impeachment in September amidst allegations of corruption and vote rigging.

The Filipino leader has also survived an army mutiny in July of 2003.

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com
www.foxnews.com

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
My wife lives there, and you should hear the things she has to say about Arroyo. Apparently it's well known that she's corrupt and has been doing questionable things there, so I'm not surprised to learn about this, or the bomb plot against her recently. It takes the stress level up a bit for me worrying about my wife though.

[edit on 2/24/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I've been talking to my wife, and she told me that they have started rioting in Manila against the checkpoints.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 03:23 AM
link   

US Military Maneuvers in the Philippines Condemned

The Partido Komunista ng Pilipinas (PKP-1930, the Philippine Communist Party) condemns the new series of U.S. war games in the Philippines, dubbed as Balikatan ("shoulder-to-shoulder") 2006 Exercises, which were due to start this week. The first round of joint US-Philippine war games, a month-long small-unit field training exercise, is to be held starting 17 January 2006 in and around Camp Lucero, the base of the Philippine Army's 602nd Infantry Brigade in Carmen town, North Cotabato province, in the southern island of Mindanao. The last time that war games were conducted by US forces with their Filipino counterparts in this town was in July 2004.

Next month, from February 19 to March 5, similar war games are to be conducted in the vicinity of Jolo, Sulu, as well as in other parts of the country – at the former US naval base in Olongapo, Zambales province; the former US air base at Clark Field in Pampanga province; the former US military stations in Cavite, Cebu and Zamboanga provinces; and at the Philippine Army base at Fort Magsaysay in Nueva Ecija province. In all, around 5,500 US soldiers will be involved in these joint war games up to March.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

MISUARI FOLLOWERS TO MAINTAIN SECURITY DURING SULU WAR GAMES -Philippine Headline News

Strange they would try a coup d'etat in light of war games going on.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Not really. It would make more sense, because there would be fewer troops to stop them in Manila. You really don't know how much Arroyo is disliked there. There have been many claims of election fraud, and they have been talking about her extending her term longer so that she can stay in office until 2010. If I even mention her name to my wife, my wife gets upset.

new topics

top topics

join