It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Contacting foreign devils (URLs)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Many times when posting to a thread, starting a thread or posting News, users will need to use a "foreign devil" or a link to a URL that supports their work. The structure of the command is similar to the Image command in that it requires a proper and working URL to be placed within the command itself.

Like this (spaces used to disable command)

[ url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/]

Your freeform message here!

[ /url] and the End command properly enclosed in brackets.

Remember to ALWAYS enclose commands in both Brackets.
Don't use spaces within the command, or the command will not work.
The freeform message will appear in a burgundy color in your post, this is a commonly recognised color for text embedded links to URLs.

Good luck!

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   
You can accomplish the same thing that is described above by clicking the "URL link" on the reply page and following the instructions:

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
You can accomplish the same thing that is described above by clicking the "URL link" on the reply page and following the instructions:

I don't know if it's been fixed but when i used to try and use the hyperlink when editing a post, i would lose the entire post i was editing and be left with only the link.
very frustrating. :bnghd:

Just FYI for the freshmen, i would learn to use the BB code as 2stepsfromtop showed. It's fairly simple.

use [] instead of () .

(img)image URL(/img) - to add an image to a post
(i)italics(/i)
(b)bold(/b)
(u)underline(/u)
(color=red)colored text(/color)

I think there's a link to all the BB code if someone wasn't as lazy as me they'd post it.
like i said it pretty simple and gets to be second nature after a while. I forgot all about the shortcut links.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
That still happens and it is a frightening experience the first time. This is how to handle that situation with aplomb.

1. Click the URL icon and do your thing.

2. When everything else disappears, except for the link, highlight the link, right click and choose "copy." Then right click and choose "undo." This will return the post to it's original state and then you can paste the URL into place.

Another way is to open a new ATS page, click on any thread and open a reply page and do the URL thing, copy the result and then go back to your edit and paste it there.

I hope that's clear.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rren
I think there's a link to all the BB code if someone wasn't as lazy as me they'd post it.
like i said it pretty simple and gets to be second nature after a while. I forgot all about the shortcut links.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
If you just post the entire URL, it will act as a link also.
This is handy for fairly short ones, and requires no commands, but may error if the URL is more than one line long....

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Someone say BB Code?

It's all here my friends. Eat, read and be merry!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join