It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What ship is this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Does anyone know the name of the ship in the picture?

I want to learn more about it, but I cant find any information because I dont know its name.
Although it slightly resmbles other catamarans...its not the HSV-X1, HSV-2, FSF-1, or TSV-1X.

It looks like its a stealthy Experimental design.

[edit on 1-12-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
It's not a ship; it's a CG drawing of one. Boeing and Lockmart (among others0 are all involved in low-observable ship design; my guess is that it's one of theirs.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Do you know its name though?

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
It almost looks like a CG rendering of an early MS 100 Stealth or something...

Link

I'll take a look around and see if I can find any info.

-DT

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
This is the MS80 Stiletto.
Sometimes called the M80 Stiletto.

It is indeed made by M Ship.

The M80 Stiletto project is funded by the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Carderock Division, to design and fabricate an 80 foot Stiletto demonstration hull reflecting the proprietary M-hull design as part of the Office of Force Transformations (OFT) distributed networked forces initiative.

M Ship Contract

Link

Hope this helps.

-DT

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
thanks Derek.

I've never heard of that company before...they have some cool concepts...and it seems their "anti" monohull.

It seems the future of ships will be multi-hulled.

Its about time ships get a change-up, I hope the Navy picks General Dynamics Trimaran hull LCS Vs. the monohulled LockMart version.

[edit on 1-12-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Derek Trance

Is that the bastard son of the Sea Shadow then?

www.fas.org...

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by FactoryLad

Originally posted by Derek Trance

Is that the bastard son of the Sea Shadow then?

www.fas.org...

No, its not made from lockheed, and doesn't resemble it neither.

FYI, Many countries have exotic looking stealth ships.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
No, its not made from lockheed, and doesn't resemble it neither.

FYI, Many countries have exotic looking stealth ships.

I disagree, the shape and angled sides look familiar to the IX-529. It was originally developed by Lockheed for R&D purposes and the exploration of the use of stealth at sea wasn't it? I'm sure more than one person has took interest in the design.

I am aware most countries have been involved in the development of stealth ships, notably Sweden's incredibly futuristic looking "Visby" class corvette, the first stealth ship to enter service.

Not all stealth ships have to look so "exotic", for example the Qahir Class Corvette in use by Oman.

I must say, while were on the subject, the Royal Navy's "Seawraith" corvette looks amazing

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Yep the "Sea Wraith" looks amazing..but what about the bit saying it would produce its own artificial mist to hide it from enemies ? Wonder how they would manage to do that ? However would be a dead giveaway on a sunny day :-P

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Not to sure about that one, you'd think thermal imaging would be able to get round that one wouldn't you? Unless the artificial "mist" was in fact some kind of presurised stream...That would guard against IR detection.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   
couple of points:

The visby was not the first stealth vessel into service depending on what you class as stealth it was either the type 23's in the RN (reduction of RCS an major part of the design e.g. angled walls and Rams) or the la fayette class with the french navy (more aglular design, ram's lot less 'clutter' on the upper works).

The Seawraith was only a concept design by vosper thonycroft and is not to enter service.

However, the mist system was developed (from the NBC wasdown system currently found on most major naval vessels) and IS being installed on the type 45 destoyers.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Go look it up here : Popular Mechanics

www.popularmechanics.com

Or on here : Popular Science

www.popsci.com

I know I have the magazine somewhere, but not sure. I'm sure you can track it down with thses links. I read the story on it a few years back.

[edit on 7-12-2005 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

top topics

join