It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: World's Second Longest Road Tunnel in Earthquake Country?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Regional transportation planners for Orange and Riverside counties, California, are considering the possibility of building the world's second-longest road tunnel through the Santa Ana Mountains. The plan is designed to mitigate increasing traffic problems for commuters traveling between the two counties. Critics charge the plan is unworkable, largely because the proposed tunnel will run within a mile of a significant fault line.

apnews.myway.com
Traffic is so bad along the eastern rim of Los Angeles' suburban ring that regional planners are considering the once unthinkable - an 11-mile tunnel through a mountain range in earthquake country.

Critics question the logic of building a multibillion-dollar project in a region so prone to earthquakes that an alternate proposal for a double-decker highway was deemed too dangerous. The tunnel would begin barely a mile from a fault that produced a 6.0-magnitude earthquake about a century ago.

"It's absolutely absurd to have a tunnel 700 feet below ground in earthquake country," said Cathryn DeYoung, mayor of Laguna Niguel and a vocal opponent. "I mean, would you want to be in that tunnel?"

Planners are due to make a decision in mid November on whether to pursue the project.

The proposal for what would be the world's second-longest road tunnel would create a new path between sprawling inland suburbs and Orange County, which has become one of Southern California's fastest-growing job centers.

Such a project could cost up to $9 billion and take 25 years.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A construction project of this magnitude is difficult under the best of circumstances. The fact that it will be built in earthquake prone territory, and take more than 25 years to complete, leaves one with little hope that it will either be useful over the long haul or merely cost the estimated $9 billion figure suggested by the planners.

I agree Southern California faces a transportation crisis, but leaving aside any considerations concerning safety, this plan offers no near term solution to the current traffic problem. Moreover, once completed, the benefit of the additional thoroughfare will likely be offset by increasing urban sprawl into Riverside County.

In my view, the $9 billion of taxpayer money could be better spent on mass transit projects or business incentive programs encouraging commuters to work from remote locations.

Related News Links:
www.mercurynews.com
www.cfra.com
washingtontimes.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Calif. May Build Tunnel in Quake Region

[edit on 13-11-2005 by loam]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Good find

Great story. I think the tunnelling is dangerous though, could trigger disturbance on the faultline even with those huge tunnelling tools......

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   
The very fact that the project would take 25 years to complete should make it unfeasible. Highway project managers are notorious for building highways that are obsolete in half that time. There has to be a better way. But, hey! I'll never live in California, so let them go ahead. Earthquake documentaries are very entertaining.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Except....don't think that you wont be paying for the construction and potential catastrophic aftermath with your federal tax dollars....

Sounds like expensive entertainment to me...

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   
25 years to build one road is incredible... surely there are alternatives that will help make a solution earlier.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 03:19 AM
link   
What's the point of building a tunnel? Shouldn't they really be considering a ferry or bridge?................Since that area of the country is going to be an island or seabottom someday anyway!

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Well if thats the case then they should wait until after the disaster..

But as said there must be a better alternative somehow. The whole car issue in cities like LA is being a real problem with gridlock everywhere. Its time the whole transportation issue was looked at for all viable solutions including more buses less cars.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
The Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado was built to remain operational after an earthquake. Engineers know how to do it. Engineer members of ATS should reply. Good article.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Is it being engineered to be earthquake 'hardened' against a 9
pointer? Or is it like New Orleans ... being engineered to be able
to stay afloat up to a cat 3 hurricane and just asking for trouble?

We humans are idiots. It's a wonder our race has lasted as long
as it has.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
FlyersFan

Yes! Excellent example... the New Orleans' levees... The WTC towers also come to mind...

Let's trust in the engineers... In 25 years, the ones responsible for the plan will have been already paid and long retired anyway.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Is it being engineered to be earthquake 'hardened' against a 9
pointer? Or is it like New Orleans ... being engineered to be able
to stay afloat up to a cat 3 hurricane and just asking for trouble?

We humans are idiots. It's a wonder our race has lasted as long
as it has.

Hi, Sorry, I don't remember, saw it recently on a History Channel broadcast. It's in Colorado.
I think they said that it's a tunnel within a tunnel so it can move around in case earthquake strikes.
Adonsa

top topics

join