It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new tire design

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Michelin, the company that invented the radial tire, has rolled out a
radical new concept called the Tweel. As this prototype demonstrates, the
traditional rubber tire and solid wheel duo is replaced by a tread bonded
to a strong loop of composite material. The vehicle's weight hangs from a
series of polymer plastic spokes that connect this loop to the hub. The
flexible Tweel can bear the load of a pneumatic tire four times its size,
it can cushion bumps five times better than a pneumatic tire, and the
contact area can be nearly doubled for improved handling. Noise, mass, and
rolling resistance have to be improved before this promising new technology
is ready for high-speed, high-load passenger-car applications.

Thought you guys might like to see the next generation of tires. They had a
pair at the Philadelphia Car show. These tires are airless and are scheduled to be out on the market very soon. The bad news for law enforcement is that spike strips will not work on these tires.

This is what great R&D will do and just think of the impact on existing
technology:
a.. no more air valves
a.. no more air compressors at gas stations
a.. no more repair kits

i3.photobucket.com...
i3.photobucket.com...

[edit on 11-5-2005 by websurfer]

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Very impressive new tech, but looks wise...
I hope they make a cover for the tweel though... I looks like bike wheel.

[edit on 5-11-2005 by beyondSciFi]

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Its not really the looks that got to me, but more of a design that someone would ask: "Why wasn't this done earlier?"

...and how can you say lookwise its bad. Have you seen the other pictures?

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
what happens during exstreme braking and dureing burn outs?
it doesent look like it could handle it vary whell.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Here is another type of wheel that is similiar to this. It's a cross between a wheel and a leg. Rimless wheels baby.

www.technovelgy.com...
According to one of the developers, engineer Dennis Hong, the spoke wheel concept "allows multiple modes of motion, which give it the ability to stride quickly using one contact point per wheel, walk with static stability with two contact points per wheel, or assume a stable stance using three contact points per wheel." Hong designed the system along with colleague Doug Laney.

Legs work better when negotiating very rough terrain, but are often slower than wheeled vehicles on smooth surfaces. The IMPASS system tries for the best of both worlds; the three spokes can be made to lengthen or shorten independently, allowing the robot to adjust itself to overcome obstructions. Turning can be done by varying spoke length as well.

It's an idea long overdue I agree.

[edit on 5-11-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Well this just stinks to all high heaven, I work for the largest wheel mfg company in the world. I live in abject fear of the flying car being developed.

Still, something does need to be done to improve the safety of the automobile tires. My company makes wheels and just the plant I work at buys over $500,000 worth of tires each year to test our products performance. Our wheels work great, the tires we buy scare the hell out of me.

We knew about tread seperation 10 years ago. If you think your going to buy some extra safety by spending more for high dollar tires, your wrong. The more expensive the tire the greater the rate of catastophic failure. Swear to god i'm thinking of buying a bicycle.

No, I can't go into details, they would hunt me down. What I know is proprietary information and i'd be fired for divulging it. Besides, when they hired me I promised I wouldn't.

We seriously need a new generation of tires, but not wheels. I don't want to lose my job.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
What I really want to know is............what sizes will be available... please tell me I can get "dubs" and be able to put spinners on them.

[edit on 5-11-2005 by itmg]

[edit on 5-11-2005 by itmg]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
Its not really the looks that got to me, but more of a design that someone would ask: "Why wasn't this done earlier?"

I'm not sure, but I think creep was a problem with the composites, meaning that if you parked them too long, the composites would deform into the parked shape (=indented at the bottom).

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Found a nice article and new pics www.gizmag.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Sorry to blow the air out of your tire but posted this in the beginning of the year.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This tire design will be sure to make all those illegal street racers in their riced up rides happy.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I wonder how these tires woul stand up to New York City potholes!

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 06:01 AM
link   
nice tires ,If your interested in new wheel design check this site out.

www.airtrax.com

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
one advantage that may also show up is since less material will be used, than that will mean less weight which leads to better fuel economy (and faster 1/4 mile times)

new topics

top topics

join