It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BTS.music: Since You Left...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:
xu

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
posting a reply to a podcast is rather ambiguous, but I think I managed it.

OK here yo go BH, it was fun working on it, I hope it will motivate you for further studies on emusic, if not well you could make your grandchildren listen to this and make "once I was in music business you know
" kind of comment,

You need info about ohms, that info is rather in the electronics part of the scala, 300 Ohms is not in the lower end, it goes as low as 1 Ohms. it is basically a matter of matching your mics and amps or speakers and amps (besides watts), how much your preamp can push power to your mic or speaker before the sound quality gets distorted. in terms of Ohms I know there is a tolerance, and some equipment can handle the differences better than others. you need to check your amps specification and mics specification and check if they match etc. this is the only help I can give you really.

check the second part of the song, there is a surprise style change or mix to say it better.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
wow xu, must say, jeez! Talk about changing the flavor! lol, from a straight blues tune in 6/8 to a middle eastern hip hop kinda flavor in 4/4 is a pretty big jump! Nonetheless, I hear all you did, great amount of work, and wow, now it's a totally different tune with a whole different feel. Pretty amazing.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Wow!
xu, I love it! I love it! That is so cool! You did a lot of work and I really think it's neat! Thanks!

What else do you want? I'll record vocals and put them up here and you guys can do all kinds of stuff with it!

Like I said, I'm brand new to computer generated music. So I have tons to learn. I just got this keyboard last week. My first. I've wanted a piano all my life but never had one till now. And I'm totally ignorant.
I have a lot of work to do, but I have a lot time to do it, so that works.

Did I say, I love it?!?!
Thank you!

xu

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Well its good that you like it, you are welcome. also did I say that it was fun to work on it

What else do you want? I'll record vocals and put them up here and you guys can do all kinds of stuff with it!

keep singing and also keep learning the ways of building backgrounds of your liking. and podcast them maybe I will pop here from time to time and ask for raw sounds.

Like I said, I'm brand new to computer generated music. So I have tons to learn. I just got this keyboard last week. My first. I've wanted a piano all my life but never had one till now. And I'm totally ignorant. I have a lot of work to do, but I have a lot time to do it, so that works.

this is great, you have the will to learn and give time to this so you will suceed there is no other possible outcome, if you both give time and like doing it, it will happen. I will give helpful recomendations which I believe will work.

About the keyboard, well you dont really need it. you will not pass beyond a specific level by only using it. it must be used as a side tool, an input source, a controller for the software you use.

Software. in past I used Cakewalk, Cubase, Reason, Acid etc. but what I personally settled is the FL Studio and Soundforge I strongly recommend these two to you. FL Studio is the best in terms of its openness and its user interface and for a lot of more reasons, it is not currently being used by pro-studios, but they will catch-on. Other than that Cubase has its own uses. There is nothing you can not do with FL Studio. except Wave editing where the Soundforge comes to scene. Soundforge it is, I know none other for wave manipulation. Get to know these two pieces of software.

FL Studio is the software you compose your samples and create the synths etc. and it is being used by lots of people, including those which dont know jack about composing e-music, but there are lots of methods of using it which not many people know about, which by this reason it is being ridiculed in the pro society, and these methods which you will not be able to get into until you really figure out the software. I definately recommend it.

Soundforge is the software you edit the soundwave files, ideally you need to prepare your samples, recorded sounds in soundforge, which include EQ, checking for recording flaws, Tuneing, etc. Also always try to follow this method, when you record vocal open it in the Soundforge and cut it to words (or sentences, basically sound groups) from the start of the sound to the end. for examplein your song "and no one else would do" is one group and there is some silence before and after it which is inhabited by unneccessary background noise. by cutting each sound group and saving each as a different sound file, you get rd of the unneccessary parts plus you seperate the vocal into groups which you can sequence and repeaat through ut the compositin as you like.

in the soundforge you have complete control over waveform, including the ability of drawing the waveform of the sound by hand.

Samples. the most important part of the music is the quality and the beauty of the samples you use. There is a technology called SoundFonts, which is created by Creative for its soundcards (SF2 format) but is widely accepted by all programs. it is basically a file which contains many samples assigned to different keys (note keys)

for example let me explain a good piano sample; you will record all 88 keys seperately but for pulse pressure variety you need to record each of these keys at least for 3 times or more, by lowering the pressure and if you apply X amount of pressure to a key at full capacity, for the same key you should record X pressure, 0.8X pressure, 0.5X pressure, 0.3X pressure and 0.1X pressure seperately. That made 5 recordings for one key which will result in 440 samples for the 88 keys. after you finish the recording phase you program these wave files as a keyboard attaching each pressure recordings to the key but to the different velocity channels of that key and create a SF2 file. now when you use this SF2 file if you program the veocity of one key as decreasing velocity, it does not decreases its volume but instead it shifts samples and gives you the matching pressure level recording. This kind of a SF2 is also what I used in the song above. but not many sound fonts are recorded this way and not all are good quality. The Akai and Giga format Sounsamples are also the same as above but they are designed for specific equipment, so you need to convert them to soundfonts to ebe able to use them effectively without loosing their programming.

For recording you need a good mic, noiseless environment. and you after recording you need to cut the recording to seperate samples as I explained above and check for recoding flaws and correct them EQ them and make them ready for to use in FL Studio. you can also create SF' files from them but that is highly unneccessary for vocal however if you are recording instruments you could create a SF2 from them with different pulse pressure settings which will be handy.

Effects. Effects are important, Dont just rely on the FL Studio effects it will not provide you with much, SoundForge supplies lots of effects to FL from the DirectX channel, and any other DX audio effects plugin you install to your PC will be picked up by FL Studio and can be used directly within FL. but my recommendation is do not apply effects before you cut the sample in soundforge, (not counting EQ or other corrections such as correcting Detunes etc) cut as raw clean sound and later apply effects during composition. another good method of using effects is the using the hardware effect processors of the Creative soundcards(starts with Live! and now continued with Audigy), in terms of effects like Reverb and echo, these hardware effect processors will provide the best result. but you need to play the sample when the effects are open and record the in card sound realtime to apply it to a file not really handy but will give the cleanest and most natural reverbs if you compare them to software effects.

keyboard, will be a controller for the FL, which you will be able to directly transfer your keypresses to the software and then assign different samples to that data. for a controller you could use mouse, pc keyboard, tablet and even a joystick. using a controller is not really neccessary if you can compose the music as you hear it in your head.

Hmm I cant think of anything else right now, Ill add later if I remember anything other than these or you have anything to ask.

xu

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Oh I forgot the synths, TS404 and 3XOSC of FL Stuido are ideal, they create a micro waveform from the parameters you tweak and loops that wavform continuously, but dont think that there is a plugin that creates "Blade Bloodbath" synth with touch of a button, they are being created by using effects onto the base synth sound.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
xu, you're so far over my head I cannot see you, but I appreciate the information.

I have no plans to do more than dabble in the music making thing. I'm more of a singer than a musician. (Duh!) The keyboard is just a means to an end (making something to sing to). My passion is with singing. I could leave the music making to someone else entirely if I had my choice.

But thanks again. Everyone who has listened to your remix is totally blown away. You do good work.

I'd love to do more collaboration with anyone who is into that.

xu

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I have no plans to do more than dabble in the music making thing. I'm more of a singer than a musician. (Duh!) The keyboard is just a means to an end (making something to sing to). My passion is with singing. I could leave the music making to someone else entirely if I had my choice.

Dont let that some detailed info I gave above discourage you in terms of composing your own backgrounds, most of it is not what you should do with the software but what you could do.

I honestly dont know how you are arranging a background in the keyboard it must be much more harder than composing a drumloop in FL Studio. believe me it has an interface like candies, and it wont complicate what you are doing in the begining phases, but it will improve the quality and flexibility.

I respect your desicion about just being interested in the singing side of things. but also consider this I know ladies who started with just creating backgrounds to sing onto and now they are creating wonders with software and their singing ability combined. most of the electronic musicians start with the "I just need some background to sing onto or play onto" mentality. Take me for instance I started with a two deck casette player to create just something that I can play onto when DX286 PCs could only process the sound of "beep".(you record to one deck then switch the casettes and record again while the one you just recorded is also playing, thus combining the two recordings and then repeat the process as much as you like, generally until the sound of hisss overwhelms the song.)

FL will be easy for you, if you could get your hands on the FL Studio demo, or full trial
, or the full original let me know and I can post some screen caps to show you which thingy is for what, and get you started. this is for IF you decide to get into that. but again I repeat, to compose the same background you did on the keyboard is real easy in FL. note that FL is known with the comment "anybody can make music with that!", there is a reason behind this, it is very user friendly. so let me know if you decide to give FL or Soundforge a try and wonder how it works. but no need to hurry if you dont feel like it, the day will come when you naturally need the uses of these softwares. until then keep singing you have a good voice

But thanks again. Everyone who has listened to your remix is totally blown away. You do good work.

thanks, Im happy that people liked it.

[edit on 31-10-2005 by xu]

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
And all this time I thought you were a man!

And wow, your voice is very pretty, and what a great start for a novice songwriter/singer, amazing.

Good work!

edit: spelling

[edit on 3-11-2005 by TrueLies]

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
WOW. Great blues BH - and astounding remix xu. Good discussion here too. A privilege to hear, read, and enjoy. Thanks all.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   

To BH and XU..... I am blown away, and that song remix now has a permanent place on my HD.....

Simply magic!

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   

PODcast: Since You Left... (reply 4)
Nothing new. Raw vocals,
in A, 80 bpm

length: 02:46
file: btsmpod_872.mp3
size: 2598k
feed:

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Great BH, now we're cookin. Much clearer, beefier, and so glad you uploaded that with no effects. And it appears you have a better ending. Aight, lemme see what I can do with this puppy. That mic and pre really help! Good things come to those who wait.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Great stuff, xu. I like what you did.

You've got a great voice, BH

<< 1  2   >>

join