It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BTS.music: Since You Left...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Since you left; AWESOME!

I had to stop the recording so that I could go and don my shades and gray fedora before continuing!

That was....man...I can't find the right words!

xu

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 01:53 AM
link   
wow, fast. and I wanted one and now I got two.
this must be my day.

ok I better get to work. and the sound quality is cool for me and will do. and dont forget it will take some time.

now if only I could find where I put my hearing aid

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Yep, it's clipped in the strong parts.

Can I ask a few questions? How do you know it's clipped? Is this something you hear? Because it 'looked' fine. Didn't hit the top and bottom of the envelope thingy.

1) turn your mic input level down a hair
2) "Work" the mic a bit more, i.e., for softer parts get closer, but as soon as ya feel a growl comin on, or when you know you're gonna get louder, back up a bit BEFORE you sing that louder part.

Yeah, I've rarely sung with a mic, just always blasted it out into the space in front of me. I know what you mean by working the mic. I need tp practice more because I always pull it away too late.

These things will help, but of course having a nice mic and good mic pre makes a good bit of difference.

Do you know how inexpensively I could get away with a simple mic preamp and a mic? I'm going to look on the Internet, but I have no clue what I'm looking for, and I'd really really like to stay under $100 for both if possible. Is this unrealistic? Any recommendations?

And if you really wanna give it the whammy, then near the end, last chorus, ad lib your butt off and stray away from the main melody. Why? Cause ya done sang the main melody enough at that point, and need to move towards a climax for more variety. Climaxing it more in the second chorus and way more near the end will make the emotional content rise and keep it from staying less linear down the track.

I'm going to work on this, It sounds like a great idea. THANKS. And I agree totally. I just threw this together in a rush yesterday. I find since I have the ability to make music (my new keyboard) which I have never had before except for a cheap acoustic guitar, I'm very impatient. But I'm sure that will wear off.

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
I had to stop the recording so that I could go and don my shades and gray fedora before continuing!

That was....man...I can't find the right words!

Thank you, Thomas Crowne.

xu

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Can I ask a few questions? How do you know it's clipped? Is this something you hear? Because it 'looked' fine.

physically it did not clip, there is no clip in the waveform, but the problem there is your mic is not reacting to volume as it should, most possibly weak to ressonance when receives high sound volume. so basically the problem is your microphones quality.

Didn't hit the top and bottom of the envelope thingy.

so you are not that new to this electronic music thingy I assume.

Do you know how inexpensively I could get away with a simple mic preamp and a mic? I'm going to look on the Internet, but I have no clue what I'm looking for, and I'd really really like to stay under $100 for both if possible. Is this unrealistic? Any recommendations?

you need the almighty Omnidirectional Lavalier microphone.
Here is one. and it is $34, this one is just an example but check that picture of it before you go out to buy one. the beauty of this type of mics is, they have their own preamps with them, (that cylindrical black thingy
) and its power source is a battery those used in a wrist watch. their frequency response is genereally 15 Hz -18 KHz or 15 Hz-22 Khz. best ones are Sony but they are more expensice. I used the one shown in the link above for 5 years. believe me it is the best option if you are not going for $500-1500 price range. the mid range bulky handheld mics are lot more problematic than this tiny device, besides the sound quality and sensitivity of these lavalier types are superior .

However Lavaliers can also be expensive up to $2000, but you dont need those, just look for "Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone" and go for the $ 0-100 range and be sure that it has the preamp by its own and not the wireless ones.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by xu

Didn't hit the top and bottom of the envelope thingy.

so you are not that new to this electronic music thingy I assume.

Oh! darn! Gave myself away...
Actually, I'm a hardware technician (CAD), so I knew the term 'clipping' from school, but I'm just ignorant to whole music side of things. I've never taken a music lesson in my life, have never recorded and I don't read music so any help you guys can provide is so GREATLY appreciated, I can't tell you.

you need the almighty Omnidirectional Lavalier microphone.

Thank you so much!
I will look into them.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
well BH if you didn't see a flat line at the top or bottom of the wave on the loud parts indicating a clip, then yes, chances are you may have distorted the mic element on the loud parts. And that is a problem with REAL cheap mics, since they can't handle the high SPL's.

On the lavalier suggestion by xu.
Bad move, especially for trying to record voice. A lav mic rests on your chest, and increases unwanted resonance bad. They also typically have pretty bad dips in low end response in their frequency reproduction characteristics. While they are used extensively in the corporate events market in both wired and wireless versions, they are my last possible choice for trying to record a vocal for music.

Find a cheap handheld wired mic, and there are a gadzillion of them. Put it on a stand, and don't hold it to decrease the chances of getting further unwanted low end rumble. Now careful which you choose, because you will need to find a high impedence type that ends in a quarter inch jack so you can adapt a 1/4' to 1/8" mini jack adapter on it, to plug directly into your sound card. A trip to radioshack may solve your problem. If you go with a low impedence mic, then you will get dragged into to buying some kind of outboard mic pre, and are going to complicate your matters beyond enjoyable.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
This is the "amateur professional" standard mic: www.zzounds.com.... Es muy bien.

Zip

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zipdot
This is the "amateur professional" standard mic: www.zzounds.com.... Es muy bien.

Zip

Gracias, Zip.

I'm liking the PG58's price better.
Do you know the main difference?
Do you think the PG would work for what I need?
Would I still need a preamp?

So many freakin' questions!

xu

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

On the lavalier suggestion by xu. Bad move, especially for trying to record voice. A lav mic rests on your chest, and increases unwanted resonance bad. They also typically have pretty bad dips in low end response in their frequency reproduction characteristics. While they are used extensively in the corporate events market in both wired and wireless versions, they are my last possible choice for trying to record a vocal for music.

I really dont want to argue about which tech is better, since it is pointless, (like Mac versus PC discussions, PC rules anyway
). The reasons I provided above which supported my recommendation of lavaliers are still valid.

A lav mic rests on your chest / Not really, it is where you see the lavaliers attached to in general, see because one sees them only in conferences etc. they are used in recording instruments (multi lavalier for one instrument from different angles and proximitiesetc.) besides the fact that they are spotted only in conferences does not mean they are used only in these curcimstances. as I said I used it for 5 years and not only once I attached it to my chest.

They also typically have pretty bad dips in low end response in their frequency / you are not recording bass, baritone vocal, or drum kicks, you are recording vocal, besides 15Hz

the lavalier is best suitable for acoustic and woodwind instruments, if you see live sax player or clarinet check the hard to see little black thingy at the tip or the back. my suggestion is from experience, yet I dont think you personally used lavalier for studio recording. plus you are forgetting the provided price range.

Also one unique characteristic of the lavalier is that in closed studio environment they are so sensitive that you can sing by whispering and it will get all the details, which you will not get with the usual vocal misc, becuase those mics are designed for stage performance and to block the feedback problem. and the vocal mics will filter most low volume sounds, (good for stage) where lavalier is extra sensitive (ideal for closed space recording. (with headphones ofcourse)

[edit on 30-10-2005 by xu]

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
lol, well xu, that is fine, have it your way. Having been a recording engineer for over 20 years, recorded a rock and roll hall of fame act, and having personally pinned a wireless mic on Jimmy Carter twice, I really do not know what I am talking about. You are right. Excuse me.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Well, its about time you realized that, T/A.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Well, its about time you realized that, T/A.

I know it TC, all those music podcasts I have up here sound like dogmeat. Go ahead and jab the knife a little further.

xu

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I know it TC, all those music podcasts I have up here sound like dogmeat. Go ahead and jab the knife a little further.

nope. yours do sound great too.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   

lol, well xu, that is fine, have it your way. Having been a recording engineer for over 20 years, recorded a rock and roll hall of fame act, and having personally pinned a wireless mic on Jimmy Carter twice, I really do not know what I am talking about. You are right. Excuse me.

Dang TA, if you don't know what you're talking about you really should hush and LISTEN to the experts...

WOW! That's quite a resume my man!
I have an upcoming project I may want to enlist your abilities and knowledge on. I can't pay you anything but my adoration and a credit though.
What do you say?

Springer...

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Dang TA, if you don't know what you're talking about you really should hush and LISTEN to the experts...

And most of the time I do Springer, for I cannot hang with many of our amazing members here on ATS and their related genius in their departments. I stay continually in awe, and have no problem with that. But when it comes to audio, I will welcome anyone into my department, including xu.

WOW! That's quite a resume my man!
I have an upcoming project I may want to enlist your abilities and knowledge on. I can't pay you anything but my adoration and a credit though.
What do you say?

Springer...

Springer, cmon man, you don't even have to ask. You know I would be more than happy to help you, even if you decide to use a lavalier mic to record it all.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
My dearest soul sister, I sure hope your husband realizes just how lucky of a guy he is to have found you. You're smarter then a whip, spiritually enlightened and ungodly talented to boot.

I think we must be spiritual twins cause with twins one usually gets all the good stuff and the other one is, well, the other one. In our case, i'm the other one

This was a beautiful recording and I loved it.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
My dearest soul sister, I sure hope your husband realizes just how lucky of a guy he is to have found you. You're smarter then a whip, spiritually enlightened and ungodly talented to boot.

Thank you, sweetie.
You got a bunch of good stuff, too.

My husband left on a business trip yesterday and that's what inspired that song...

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Anyone out there who's still listening to me... Can you give me a number for high impedance? If 300 ohms is low, what's high? 400? 1000? 60k? Thanks.

[edit on 30-10-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I don't know do-wah-diddly-squat about the technical side of music, but I listen to LOTS of it....and I just want to tell you that you better not stop singin', girl, cuz that was beee-yoooo-tee-ful!! I'm looking forward to hearing more.

xu

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   

PODcast: Since You Left... (reply 3)
BH's Since You Left Recomposed

length: 03:34
file: btsmpodcast_732.mp3
size: 3352k
feed:

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>