It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BTS.talk: Say No to Cigarettes!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Smoking is evil and hurts others around you, so it's a good idea to stop doing so!

Unfortunately, replacing smoking with another addiction like chewing gum, or going to the gym, or sucking on chuppa chups, still means that you have an addiction. Addictive personalities pick up smoking and other habits quite easily, you'd need to address THAT issue, rather than the 'I'm getting lung cancer so I wanna stop smoking' issue.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
nrky:

I'm gonna guess you've never really been a smoker or that it's been so long, you've forgotten what it was like.

I despise smoking...but even that has not helped... I have no other "addictions"... (Well, maybe ATS, but that is another matter.
)...

It's been well know for some time that tobacco is as addictive as coc aine addiction... Moreover, the younger you start, the worse it is...

If it were that easy to quit, then the success rate would be higher than the annual 2.5% who manage to do it.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   

PODcast: Say No to Cigarettes! (reply 16)
BH has a few words (check out my new sound!)

length: 03:55
file: btstpod_1551.mp3
size: 3683k
feed:

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Couple things I forgot:

Quitting smoking is the one thing in my life that I'm most proud of. I am so proud of that accomplishment and I think I will always be. It also helps me in other areas of life. I feel that if I did that, I can do anything!

When I was quitting, I always told myself this. "If you do go back to smoking again, you're going to have to go through this all again." Because I didn't want to be a smoker anymore. It was getting in my way, embarrassing me, keeping me from doing things I wanted to do. And knowing that I was determined to quit eventually, strengthened my resolve to do it this time.

If you don't make it, you're not a failure, you're just one step further along. But it's totally up to you whether you make it this time.

You can. Millions of people have quit smoking after more than 30 years. People do it every day. You're at least as strong as they are. You can do it, too.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I am so proud of that accomplishment and I think I will always be. It also helps me in other areas of life. I feel that if I did that, I can do anything!

When I was quitting, I always told myself this. "If you do go back to smoking again, you're going to have to go through this all again." Because I didn't want to be a smoker anymore.

These are exactly the thoughts that are driving me at this point. I know there is nothing but this that has ever beat me, and I want to fight back and win this time.

Also, I know I have to go through this again if I fail again. I want to stop having to do this to myself. These are the things that keep me going now.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Thanks, BH.

And you're right. Even if you don't succeed this time, keep trying. You will never succeed if you don't try!

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Day 10 - still in the game - that's all I have to say.

Wait a minute. I still smell like an ashtray???

I need a new purse and a few other things that can't generally be cleaned - like my friends and that guy who I think still lives with me but I rarely see now, most likely cause he claimed to have quit too (out of nowhere on my 3rd day) when I never asked him to and he SO lied!

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   
You are winning this thing. Keep it up, I think of you every day. I remember exactly how I felt at day 10. Three weeks is right around the corner and it was a real milestone for me.

The great thing is, after the first few really strong cravings/temptations, it got easier as I went along. That freaking gnawing habit actually starts to fall away and become more and more unimportant.

Write me if you want. I'm here for ya!

[silly Mr. Relentless)

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Yes! Smoking is so bad for you I don't even know where to begin. Drinking, smoking, drugs...never have gone there, and never will. Somebody can ask me to just *try a cigarette as many times as they want, but my answer will always be the same. NO! Just say no to drugs..as the famous line goes.

Drugs, smoking, and drinking play a major part. Especially in teenagers. I am 17 now, almost going to turn 18. Why would I ever want to poison my body with that junk? that is rediculous... I can't tell you how many times I have heard of drunk driving students. It's horrible. That's when accidents happen....

Some say that smoking will calm you down. Ground you. True, it probably does, but none the less it is still very bad for you...and will eventually kill you. Leading you a slow..death.

If you have a smoking, drinking, or drug problem. Do yourself a favor and get help. Stop, because your life, and possibly others is at stake...

[edit on 21-3-2006 by whitelightwolf]

[edit on 21-3-2006 by whitelightwolf]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Figured I'd post here...

It's been 9 weeks!

woohooooooooo!

/dances

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Congratulations, Parrhesia! That's so cool! Good for you!

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I would stop but rehab is for quitters.

I relay do want to stop though, i stopped once a couple of years back for about 10 months.

So too all the people on here that have quit, i say..... WELL DONE and keep it up.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Parrhesia!

You are such an inspiration. I made if 5 and a half weeks no sweat and things got REALLY bad at work and I lapsed a week ago.
I even changed my diet at the same time so I wouldn't gain weight and started walking two miles a pop so I was really feeling great.

I know I made a choice to let abusive people get the better of me on this one and it really makes me mad at me, but what's done is done.

I have extricated myself from the evil ones as of Monday though, and will get right back on the Wellbutrin and start again. I have a lot more confidence now after going so long before the lapse, so maybe this time......

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Yeah, no need to get down on yourself. I'm sorry you didn't make it this time, but carry the knowledge that you did it for 5.5 weeks. That's really good! And do it again. Keep trying!

It was about 3 weeks after I quit that 9/11 happened. Man! That was the hardest thing to get through without smoking! I knew once I had gotten through that, I was home free. So these 'stress situations' are going to come along. Have a plan for those. Even if it's herbal cigarettes, something that will get you through without turning back to your old 'friend'.

Cigarettes were my friend, my BEST friend. I could always turn to them, even if my husband was mad at me, cigarettes would never betray me. And they were killing me... It's a sick, codependent relationship.

Good luck to you and remember that I'm right here.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
So far I've gone 15 days cold turkey. I've not cheated at all and this time I didn't switch to dip as a "temporary" alternative. I used a sinus infection and the desire to play soccer again as my motivators. Week three really sucks though as I am not fit to be around right now. The BS at work is not helping but I have started exercising again.

This will be my third quit attempt. Every attempt is practice and it's true what people say -- quitting gets easier each time.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I remember when I once quit smoking,I think my family went out and bought me a carton of cigarettes lol,plus now I'm old and can't think of another bad habit to replace it

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Relentless,
I'm sorry to hear you relapsed, but damn you did good! 5.5 weeks is awesome, and you can build on the success! You will never quit unless you try, so keep trying. Each time you'll get closer to your goal, especially when you can go for 5.5 weeks! Like BH said, you'll have to figure out a way to deal with the stress that is not cigarettes. You can do it

As for me,
I'm nearing 12 weeks (3 months)! I'm really happy about it, and I've gotten to the point where I don't even think about smoking anymore. There have been a few times where I'll be thinking a cigarette would be realllllllllllllllly nice right now, with a drink, or with a friend, but at this point it's an easy thought to dispose of. I wish you luck and hope you will someday reach this point. I know you can do it!

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
So these 'stress situations' are going to come along. Have a plan for those. Even if it's herbal cigarettes, something that will get you through without turning back to your old 'friend'.

Gosh, you had mentioned that before and I should have gotten some, but I really truly thought it was over and there was no danger. As for the future, I can tell you this, what happened was so horrendous, I will never have to worry about facing something like that again. In fact, it was so bad another woman at work who hadn't smoked in two years started again too, This was no ordinary "these things happen in life".

Thanks for the kind words guys - I will let you know how it goes and I promise to tackle this ASAP.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
12 weeks, 2 days and still going strong.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
You are too awesome for words.

Keep reporting in, you are my reminder not to be a slacker on the next try.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join