It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pine Gap Research Facility

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2002 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Personally this installation worries the hell out of me.

Australia is called the lucky country, for reasons any would understand.. And pine gap is the only threat to nuclear war Australia has. I wonder how many missile installations around the world are pointed at Pine Gap??

In the event of war I am sure the centre of australia is gonna become a big smoking hole in the ground...

And personally there is not a thing we could do about it.. Sure pine gap would have contingency plans..but those plans would be for pine gap...not for Australians all over the country.. I bet those bastards run miles underground in secret bunkers protecting themselves against such an attack. Our airforce is well undermanned and undermaintained (our 30 year old f1-11's are grounded again due to fuel line failure), our collins class subs are no more that metal tubes in the ocean bobbing around..I just hope there is enough of our crack SAS troops to go around..but alot of good they are gonna do in the event of a nuclear explosion.

Scary..

Chris

posted on Jul, 4 2002 @ 05:47 PM
link   
What we do know is that

we have a military base in Australia apparently run by the US NSA spooks that is so important that it was at least in part responsible for the sacking of the Whitlam Labor Government in 1975.

it is an important part of the Star Wars program that Australia's own Office of National Assesments has advised the Government is not in our interests.

it is recognised as playing an integral part in US wars and is a potential nuclear target. (This is the one that worries me the most)

it is part of an international eavesdropping system which undermines privacy and sovereignty.

its presence here is a threat to our neighbours in Asia and has a negative impact on our regional relationships.

posted on Jul, 5 2002 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I see whatcha mean. If a hostile nearby country wanted to handicap the US military, they will probably attack Pine Gap.

posted on Jul, 16 2002 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Why would Australia let us put such a place there. I mean like Project_Blazon said...it would be a good target to cripple the US

posted on Jul, 18 2002 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I just read somewhere the other day about how Australia has the deepest cave/cavity of anywhere on the earth. I know... it was some site statistics of all the caverns in the world.

Then I came across something about the spyplane aurora. It's been said that it can reach speeds of 8,000 mph... and would be able to deliver any world elitist from anywhere in the world to pine gap in a shorter time than it would take me to drive to work possibly. (10 min.) So I got the impression if anything threatens most of the planet, that's the place you want to be.

posted on Jul, 18 2002 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Well, I didn't know about this facility in Australia until now. That might be the hub for U.S. intelligence in the region, but I doubt it. If it's a secret base, I mean top secret, you're not going to hear about it on the site or any other. Funny though, I passed through a park just north of Alice Springs, Uluru (Ayers Rock) a few years back, wouldn't have know to go look though.

posted on Jul, 19 2002 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Pine gap is a first stike target. !

In the event of a nuclear missile launch, pine gap will be where it is first detected.

From there it is relayed to the american gov.

That is why it is a perogative to eliminate
the pine gap signaling station in the event
of nuclear war.

posted on Jul, 26 2002 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Text
Pine Gap was used back in the 70's to early 90's as a ground relay station for surveillance satellites. However now the US bounces the signals through relay satellites to CONUS, without using PIne Gap. So most probably Pine Gap is used for something else.
There is a US base in Australia even more secret than Pine Gap, I can't remember what it is called but it is on the NW Cape of Australia on the Indian Ocean.
It was officially built for ELF communications with SSBN's in the Indian Ocean.

posted on Jul, 26 2002 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The articles linked in the first post pretty much describe what Pine Gap is used for.
The reason for the secrecy surrounding it is exactly the same reason DSD, NSA and similar installations remain classified and off limits to those not cleared for it - to protect the sources and collection activities that take place there. The reality of these facilites is far from what many people imagine - there seems to be a sinister image held by most in regards to these places, however they are merely arms of the government/military that do amazingly mundane tasks which may not be considered legal/friendly by foreign governments or international law, therefore justifying the protection they are given.

Those of you wondering why Australia would "allow" the US to have such a facility in Australia are obviously a little ignorant of our defence policy. When I joined the Navy, one of the subjects we had in recruit school was to study Australia's defence policy. The number one priority, as stated in government doctrine is to maintain the alliance with the United States. Defeating the enemy was down at around number 3 from memory.

Australia is for all intents and purposes another state of the US when it comes to the military. While our military traditions find their roots in the British forces, our doctrine, planning and tactics for the most part handed down from the US.

Oh, and mad scientist - the base in the west is/was called Harold E Holt - it is now contracted out to Boeing (99 percent civilian) and serves a similar function to Pine Gap, as well as other roles.

posted on Sep, 4 2002 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Pine Gap US Military Installation, Central Australia.

The United States has three major bases in Australia. One is in South Australia (Nurrangar), another in New South Wales, and the third (and by far the largest) is located within about 230 km. of the geographical center of the continent. Not far (15 km) to the west of Alice Springs, at the foothills of the southern slopes of the MacDonnell Range lies Pine Gap. This base is completely underground, with barely visible entrances to the surface. Pine Gap became operational in 1971. The site is essentially US soil.

Pine Gap is one of the largest ground satellite stations in the world with massive capabilities. It serves principally as a downlink for geosynchronus SIGINT (Signals Intelligence) satellites. The purpose of the SIGNIT Satellite gathering station at Pine Gap is a notable mystery. The Government insists it is simply a 'defence space research facility' but much evidence points to this station being much more than that.

Originally code-named MERINO, Pine Gap is the ground station for a satellite network that intercepts telephone, radio, data links, and other communications around the world. The facility currently includes a dozen radomes, a 5,600 square metre computer room and 20-odd service and support buildings. Two of its ground antenna are part of the U.S. Defense Satellite Communications System.

According to bases expert and ANU academic Des Ball, "The undeniable fact is that Pine Gap is concerned with espionage", and the information gathered "undeniably enhance[s] US strategic nuclear war-fighting capabilities".
Pine Gap and around 30 other sites make up the "joint US-Australia" facilities. Pine Gap is the most important installation and one of the largest satellite ground control stations in the world. It controls a small number of geostationary signals intelligence satellites, "the most secret of all US intelligence collection satellites".

This 'Top Secret' base is entirely financed by the United States Government, and is officially known as the Joint Defense Space Research Facility. "When the JDSRF was first initiated, its aim was scientific research for the supposed development of a space defense technology. It is now known that since its inception, its primary purpose was research into electromagnetic propulsion.

In the 1960's there was much technical expansion of electronic communications in space. Satellites equipped with powerful receivers were strategically positioned to eavesdrop on selected communications. The satellites act as giant microphones which can accurately pick up even minor transmissions and rebroadcast them to receiving stations (such as Pine Gap) on earth, which then process or redirect the signals.

In an interesting letter in the Nexus Dec 2001 edition, Reis of Sydney wrote that his father worked at the Pine Gap site in the early 1970's. "He swore under oath not to reveal any details, but he did say to me once, "My god, they have a hell of a lot of equipment; I've never seen so much equipment", and he told me that there was enough room for a large underground city with multiple levels, with links across Australia to other cities."

The first generation of satellites, launched in 1971 the year Pine Gap became operational, were designed to spy on Soviet missile developments and for general espionage in Asia. They were used during the 1971 Indo-Pakistan war, in Vietnam, and later to spy on China.

A second generation was launched in the mid-1970's, especially designed for communications surveillance -- for example, conversations and radio communications between Soviet military commanders.
An article published in late 1973 claimed that the Pine Gap installation, along with its sister installation in Guam, were used to control the photographic missions of the large American satellites in orbit above the Earth. "Pine Gap has enormous computers which are connected to their American and Australian central counterparts, which collect all the information secured in these countries, not only about finance and technology, but on every aspect of the life of the average citizen. Those computers at Pine Gap are also evidently connected to similar mainframes in Guam, in Krugersdorp South Africa, and at the Amundsen-Scott US base at the South Pole.

1985 - An unconfirmed report was made of an unidentified aircraft traveling at erratic speeds and buzzing a government employee and police officers, 100 kilometres west of Alice Springs.

In December 1989, a group of what have been described as extremely reliable witnesses reported seeing a craft descend into a concealed trap door in the grounds of the base.

Several times, locals have seen WHITE DISKS about 30' in diameter in the process of being unloaded from large US cargo planes at the airports serving Pine Gap. Those disks had the USAF emblem on them. It seems likely that disks are assembled and based at Pine Gap. The number of disks seen at night leaves no doubt in anyone's mind. An amazing quantity of furniture has been delivered by plane from the United States. The locals also say that an enormous amount of food is stocked in warehouses of what could well be a true multi-leveled underground city.

It is said that under Pine Gap is the deepest drilling hole in Australia - about 5 miles (more than 8,000 metres). Such a hole is likely used as an underground antenna able to recharge the batteries of submarines in the Pacific and Indian Ocean through ELF broadcasts.

Such a gigantic antenna could be used to generate the gigantic stationary wave around the Earth. The station receives data from many geostationary SIGNIT satellites but in particular a group of satellites controlled by the CIA.

Some say that Pine Gap has an enormous nuclear generator to supply energy to a new type of transceiver. It seems too that there is a high-powered, high-voltage plasma accelerator which may be put to use to transmit electric current, or even to produce a 'death-ray', or quite simply to feed a plasma gun. All this is not as incredible as it sounds: it is now known that the US base of West Cape, near Exmouth Gulf in Western Australia (Harold E. Holt USN Communication Station), has an older type of the transceiver used at Pine Gap which is used to send electric current to submerged US submarines who trail a wire antenna. It is known that electric currents transmitted in this way are referred to as plasmo-dynamic cells.

On the other hand, Pine Gap is well known as one of the most important control centers for spy satellites which circle the globe.

www.gpgwebdesign.com.au...

posted on Sep, 5 2002 @ 09:11 AM
link   
There is also a smaller US 'Spy' Base (as its called by the locals) in Geraldton Western Australia (my hometown). Thats just a comms bunker mainly.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by OzChris

hahyahahaha..... what the #....... ummm, shut up and stop being so creepy, australia is the "lucky country" because we dont have heaps of crazy basterds that think about # like this coz we dont give a #,, my advise is this, get laid and have a beer, you need to step it down and relax....... we australians are peacefull and lazy .. (those of us who want to be) and for good reason, because were sick of ppl walkin around #ing # up.

really criss, man..,, settle the # down. have a pice of the cake and enjoy the rest of your days on this nice little world..

your comments are scary! not the facts about stuff......

thanx bro. have a nice day everyone.

top topics

join