It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skeptic Overview 9

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Aight, well I hear what you are saying, but keep in mind that I am using the same exact player to play both files. Before upload, tags are there in the player. After upload, tags are missing. IN THE SAME PLAYER. So clearly something is being done to the file to change it from it's original state.

You have any idea what that might be?

And are you talking ID3v1 or v2 that we are dealing with?

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I know, but perhaps your software treats downloaded mp3's as part of a RSS feed differently... that's my only guess.

Since all we do is rename the file, it's unlikely that any alteration of taks is happening.

Why not try downloading the MP3 through your browser from the direct URL, and see if the tags are different than the file obtained through the feed.

(I just did that and saw your ID1.1 tags.)

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I've just been doing a little bit of reading on RSS (Really Simple Syndication) and iTunes submission, and found this article which may be useful in a conceptual way.

Normalizing the Data

Once you have the feeds, you normalize the data into a format that you can easily work with. This may mean inserting the entries into a database as rows or storing them in some other format. Storing in XML is a possibility, but you'll have to use additional XML processing tools to gather the data, incurring a lot of overhead for processing and complexity. I find it most useful to rip the data from the feeds into a small database and then re-extract it for analysis. This strategy allows me to select a fixed number of stories for analysis and also to store the data over time for more long-term analysis.

Link

Also, in regards to submission to iTunes, could you make some use of the tag to control which podcasts end up on the feed? Perhaps, using the above suggestion of a seperate database (or table), maybe you could populate that database with podcasts that, say receive the most downloads and get the most replies over a three day period. Then that database could drive the RSS feed. Apologies for the geekspeak.

Tutorial on making enhanced podcasts

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
We're already doing all of that and more.

All feed data is in a database, and one PHP template parses the material into the multiple feeds, depending on which feed you request (the /__.xml attribute of the feed URL is actually the variable that defines which podcasts for which feed are pulled from the db).

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I wrote this article in 2002 and it is published at artificial intelligence depot (ai-depot.com):

Moderating Message Boards with Complex Systems

4 page article so be sure to use the forward arrow to advance

The premise is to use decentralized user opinions along with some AI programming to allow the boards to moderate themselves

(I think we're going to need more PODmods.)

No... just more AI-PODmods

Sri Oracle

Note: The article is mostly overview of the problem until page 3 where complex systems are discussed.

Works Cited:

(Built, 1997) Built to last. James Collins & Jerry Porras. Harper Collins. New York, NY 1997.
(Emergence, 2001) Emergence. Steven Johnson. Simon & Schuster Trade, September 2001.
(Keeping Chat Rooms, 2000) Keeping Chat Rooms Lively and Free of Hucksters. Sally McGrane, Phillip Greenberg. The New York Times, June 22, 2000.
(Online, 2000) Online Investing Clubs Evolve. Danny Hakim (NYT) 1449 words New York Times, July 18, 2000.
(Power, 2000) The Power of Focus. Jack Canfield, et al. Health Communications. Dearfield Beach, FL 2000.
(Straight Dope, 2000) Straight Dope. www.straightdope.com... David and Ed. April 14, 2000. Accessed April 1, 2002.
(Voy Forums, 2001) VoyForums www.voy.com... 2001 Voyager Info-Systems. Accessed April 1, 2002.

[edit on 16-10-2005 by Sri Oracle]

[edit on 16-10-2005 by Sri Oracle]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
good find Sri Oracle. That first link you posted was a really good read. Nice intro to complex systems theory and the paradoxical nature of some of the principles that emerge from these systems. Ignorance is useful, who would have thought?
Then again, this site wouldn't really be here if it weren't for the existence of ignorance, would it

a researcher in this field, says there are five such principles: more members create differences, ignorance of individuals is useful, random encounters should be encouraged and individuals must look for patterns in the signs and pay attention to their neighbors.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Is it possible to create a drop down menu's for each tab?

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Is it possible to create a Drop Down menu of each feeds topical feeds to simplify it when browsed through the POD CAST page on the top?

[edit on 17-10-2005 by sardion2000]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join