It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops and the Death Penalty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
When a person kills a cop, the death penalty is agressively sought after, and I think in some places in the US, Canada, and the UK its actually on the books that it be sought. The rationale for this is that a cop is an agent of the state, and that killing a cop is agression against the state itself, which, of course, the state can't tolerate.

Given that line of reasoning, on the State and what it represents; should Cops who brutalize prisoners and citizens in their care be given the death penalty? I mean, the State is given great power by the people, because its recognized that power is sometimes needed. But when the State abuses that power, thats one of the worst things that it can do. So shouldn't, infact, cops who, and obviously there are borderline cases, but cops who are blatantly abusing their power and severely beating people while 'restraining' them and the like, shouldn't the State at least make it clear that this is equally intolerable as attacking the state, and execute these 'rogue' cops?

Indeed, shouldn't, perhaps, any offical agent of The State, who abuses their power in such extreme ways, be executed?

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I see where you're coming from but those abuses of power don't require the DP. If they murder someone, not kill but murder, fine.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
When a person kills a cop, the death penalty is agressively sought after, and I think in some places in the US, Canada, and the UK its actually on the books that it be sought. The rationale for this is that a cop is an agent of the state, and that killing a cop is agression against the state itself, which, of course, the state can't tolerate.

Given that line of reasoning, on the State and what it represents; should Cops who brutalize prisoners and citizens in their care be given the death penalty? I mean, the State is given great power by the people, because its recognized that power is sometimes needed. But when the State abuses that power, thats one of the worst things that it can do. So shouldn't, infact, cops who, and obviously there are borderline cases, but cops who are blatantly abusing their power and severely beating people while 'restraining' them and the like, shouldn't the State at least make it clear that this is equally intolerable as attacking the state, and execute these 'rogue' cops?

Indeed, shouldn't, perhaps, any offical agent of The State, who abuses their power in such extreme ways, be executed?

people arent executed for beating cops are they? just for killing them....so yes, if they intentionally kill someone with malice then they should be subjected to the DP. otherwise, just sending them to prison is enough. especially if they are put into the general population, which is almost a death sentence in itself for a cop.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
well if you go by some of the local occurances here in dallas, then if an officer kills an inmate as has happened a few times in the last couple of years. Then no, the police are exempt. so far, there have been 2 deaths due to inmates being trusted up hogtied, and then placed on their stomachs, they died.
An inmate who was complaining of stomache pains was refused medical attention and left over night in his cell. in the morning he was found dead.
there are more but i do not have the time to list them all. to date, all officers involved in all the cases have been exonerated, fired but not tried for murder not of course given the dp.
there is a double standard.
Oh yes here was a good one that I just remembered from last year.
off-duty police officer takes his service pistol to a public park and then shots a teenager (unarmed) he was fired and is under investigation because he lied on his job application form about having no previous criminal records. he did have a criminal record for spousal abuse.

top topics

join