It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survivalism 101

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   

PODcast: Survivalism 101
NrKy's primer on Survivalism.

length: 02:45
file: atspodcast_454.mp3
size: 1132k
feed: ats

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
beat me to It. I was in the process of writing my notes for my survival podcast, when yours downloaded to itunes. chuck one up to the una-mind. I my still do one on some of the proper equiptment. inless you were planing that to. If so let me know and I wont.

[edit on 8-10-2005 by aristoi]

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I salute you nrky.

Perhaps the BEST primer on survival I ever have heard.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
This is a primer, in that it's going to be an ongoing thread. I will be continually adding new posts to this thread, as I don't intend on seeing it die any time soon. I'm going to be going into each topic that I brought up in the primer, in detail.
If anyone else wants to add anything to it, please do! If you bring up any points in a podcast that's located in between a couple of mine, and I need to elaborate on them, I'll do so.
In the end I want this to become a comprehensive survival tool, which will also be great for helping me improve my podcasting skills.
Cheers, NrKy.
^_^

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Nkry, looking into survival myself lately, I have heard a lot about how important it is to have "water purification" skills, but I have no idea what it is, or how to do it. Is it a kit, like a solution you pour into your water, a basic filter you should take with you, or just knowing that you should boil your water? What is the best and most portable way for the average person to remove bacteria, pollution, and radiation from water?

Thanks

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   

PODcast: Survivalism 101 (reply 1)
NrKy's second podcast on Survivalism. Scenarios: Asteroids/comets

length: 05:58
file: atspodcast_557.mp3
size: 3503k
feed:

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
nrky

Great and informative podcasts!

We keep what we call a "dry box". In this dry box (which you can purchase them at any discount store, they are just large rubbermaid or off-brand containers that will ensure the contents stay dry) we keep staples that we rotate through, and necessities for such as fire-starting (matches, fire-sticks, etc.) and the likes. This goes along with your suggestion to think about what you NEED versus what you WANT. The drybox should be filled with your needs.

When I was living south of Houston I realized the necessity for planning a route of exodus - because they really are limited down there. I think Rita proved this was a good mental exercise. You need to know several alternate routes if you are planning to move from where you live to some where you feel is safer.

Thanks for sharing the information. People should always be prepared to take care of themselves when the "grid" goes away.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
For those who are interested, here's the list of discussion topics I am currently researching and will be talking about:

-'be prepared'
-learn how to analyse a situation
-possible different scenarios:
--asteroids/comets
--biological war/epidemics/influenza outbreaks
--bushfires
--chemical war
--civil war
--earthquake
--economic depression
--electromagnetic pulse warfare
--extreme heat
--extreme cold
--floods
--global fascist dictatorship/police state
--global psychosis
--hurricanes
--invasion (foreign and interplanetary)
--martial law
--nuclear war
--rising sea levels
--stampedes (of animals)
--terrorist attack
--volcanos

-your bugout bag
-skills to obtain (first aid, water purification, etc..)
-your neighbours, you could be relying on them to survive one day
-dependancy and INdependancy
--not just chemical dependancy, but psychological, spiritual, sociological, and nutritional.
-map out the local resources
-map out local highways and escape routes
-map out possible locations that masses would gather, to avoid them
-post-apocalyptic society and government, ie. 'post survivalism'

Note that this list will change as I find more things to add to it, or as I overlap in previous podcasts. If anyone has any topics that they would like to add to this, please do so, and in a podcast would be even better!

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
What a huge and daunting task to take on. Good luck. I greatly look forward to hearing what's to come.

Hopefully the info gets out before a situation arises that I need to use it in!

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
What a huge and daunting task to take on. Good luck. I greatly look forward to hearing what's to come.

Hopefully the info gets out before a situation arises that I need to use it in!

I'm getting there... I also have 'educational' (*coff* indoctrinational *coff*) commitments that take up a fair bit of my time, so I'm rather strapped for time.

Note the first part of the podthread, 'be prepared', which means that you shouldn't wait for somebody else to teach you how to survive, you should go out and do your own research as well, in order to be ready for when the # hits the fan. (IF, I meant IF the # hits the fan.... *looks around for the MIB*)

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Great job! Can't wait for the rest. Something that I would also address is the need of a gun. Their might be some people here who are anti 2nd ammendment but in a survivial situation a weapon to protect yourself and your family is very important. Also address the need to have more then 72 hours of supplies. It seems like sheeple and mainstream media is obsessed with 72 hour kits and that is by no means enough for an survival situation.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I can't wait to hear from you on the other topics, even though I was in the process of making the same exact thing when you posted this
. LOL no big deal, keep up the good work

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   

PODcast: Survivalism 101 (reply 2)
NrKy continuing the Survivalism 101 podcast thread, on the topic of Dependancy.

length: 08:16
file: atsxpod_967.mp3
size: 3876k
feed:

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   

PODcast: Survivalism 101 (reply 2)
NrKy with a bit more on the topic of Dependancy.

length: 11:21
file: atsxpod_972.mp3
size: 3993k
feed:

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I'm considering starting this podcast thread up again, so if there's anyone out there that would like to contribute to the survivalism discussion, please feel free to do so!
I decided to start it again when walking home from the shops, after having listened to some anime 'otaku' podcasts, some podcasts designed to teach japanese, and another couple of other podcasts, and I realised that there really should be podcasts on every topic possible. I then did a search in google for survivalism podcasts, and I am the ONLY dude on the whole of the internet that has podcasted on the topic of survivalism... that is truly sad, so I would like to start it up again and see if someone else wants to join in.
cheers! (and remember, paranoia IS a survival strategy)

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Great job nrky, keep up the great work and really enjoyed the podcasts on Survivalism, and so have the ones Ive shared them with.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   
heh, people were actually listening to this? Nice! I'll get around to finding where I put all my papers I wrote on survivalism last year, in a while after I finish unpacking all my stuff, having recently moved.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
nrky, this is some good trash man

Very informative, keep it up.

I'm looking forward to your take on:

-global fascist dictatorship/police state
-martial law
-your bugout bag

I have a few things I would like to add to "bugout bag" after you get the ball rollin.

Later
Sporty

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
nrky!

I'm interested in commodities to trade if the bottom falls out of the dollar.

Alcohol
Salt
Flour
Cigarettes

Anything to add?

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   

PODcast: Survivalism 101 (reply 4)
Survivalism 101: Commodities for Trade. (boy for sale! two quid, e's a bit scrawny guvnah but all he does is ask if he can please have some more, so I'm discountin' 'im)

NrKy digs up the old Survivalism 101 podthread and starts the new lot off with a podcast on Commodities and other items that you should keep an eye out for and consider hoarding, to use in bartering and trading in a post-Extinction Level Event (aka. post-apocalyptic) world.
Don't say I didn't warn you.

length: 16:10
file: atsfpod_1536.mp3
size: 4739k
feed:

top topics

<<   2 >>

join